A Mindful New Year

Old 12-28-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

A Mindful New Year

I'm not usually a great one for New Year's Resolutions, but I've been intending to take a Mindfulness course for a while & the New Year is coming up, so I thought I may as well combine the two. I also thought that maybe some SR people might be interested & may like to take it too & we could use a thread to discuss it, for motivation/accountability, etc. so here one is

the course is online-based, is completely free, requires no registration & available here:

https://palousemindfulness.com/

the course is based on the one developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. the "eight week course" seems to be considered as the "101" course in Mindfulness circles & I have had it recommended to me by several people.

it takes about 30 minutes per day - this may seem like a lot, but as the Zen saying goes:
You should sit in meditation for twenty minutes a day
Unless you're too busy
Then you should sit for an hour
inscrutable Zen sayings aside, Mindfulness can pay you back the time & more. from the website:
"Previous participants have said that after a few weeks of practice, although their time to "do things" is technically 30 minutes less, there can be a feeling of having more space and time, even in the middle of a very busy day."
I've done bits & pieces of Mindfulness in the past & found it helpful, but I thought a course might be useful for some structure & context as well as the discipline over eight weeks to create some habits.

anyway, I'll be doing the course regardless, but if anyone else also wants to give it a go, you are very welcome
Old 12-28-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I'm all for that! Count me in!
Old 12-28-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I知 in! I took the 8 week MBSR class almost 2 years ago- I wanted to fix everything other than the main problem (drinking). I壇 even have a glass of wine before class. Stupid. But I really got a lot out of it anyway, and I壇 love to do it again sober. I知 sure I値l get much more out of it. Thank you so much! I was thinking about doing the whole MBSR course over, but this is cheaper and it値l be like being in the class if a group of us does it at the same time. Thanks again!
Old 12-28-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I went to the web site. Tomorrow I am going to print out the worksheets and put a binder together. This is exciting. Glad to be a part of it!
Old 12-28-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
waking down

Highly recommended. The best companion read is Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat Zinn, which is the book the 8 week MBSR course is based on. The newer edition has more updated research and information about the efficacy of the program. Don't neglect the bonus videos and reads. If you have the time, it is possible to spend a lot more than half an hour a day to the program... The palousemindfulness website was one of the centerpieces of my recovery. Enjoy!
Old 12-28-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Andy, what a great idea and thank you for the invitation. I think I will give it a try. I have meant to take this course in the past and never quite committed. I am dealing with grief as I lost my father very recently, and this would be a helpful process for me, I think.

I'll print out the materials tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link, Andyh.

One of the key distinctions of the rehab I went to was the fact that they emphasized mindfulness practice. I realized just how much I completely avoided the now in favor of rumination and trepidation...which ultimately is what I fault for my slide into alcohol abuse. I've tried some other avenues to get into the habit (e.g. the Headspace app) but am always open to anything that will help me be more consistent in that practice.

Best!

T.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link, Andy🙏 I値l have a proper look later.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am reading along but also need to have a look at the course details and zero's companion book suggestion....love this.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Andy.
Brilliant Idea.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks everyone, glad to have some company for the course

tursiops999 - sorry for your loss. I hope you can find something in the course to help you at this difficult time.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your father too turisops, and my thoughts are with you.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I just put a 'hold' on a few items at my library. The book, companion and an audio version. I am taking this course seriously and hope to benefit!
Old 12-29-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tursiops, I am so sorry to read of your loss of your Dad. You remain in my thoughts .
Old 12-29-2017, 04:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Andy, what a great idea. I came across this course some time ago, I believe Zero posted the link here, but I never followed it.

I currently practise a version of Mindfulness based on an eight week book/CD course “Finding Peace in a Frantic World”, which I read/listened to some years ago.

So I’ve decided to take this course, to add to/refresh my existing knowledge, which is a little rusty. Plus, the discipline will be benefit me, as I often start, but not finish, online courses!
Old 12-29-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fab idea. I could do with committing really... I've done some in the past and benefited...also have the mindfulness app..... just need to make myself do it more....
Old 12-29-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
Andy, what a great idea and thank you for the invitation. I think I will give it a try. I have meant to take this course in the past and never quite committed. I am dealing with grief as I lost my father very recently, and this would be a helpful process for me, I think.

I'll print out the materials tomorrow.
I am so sorry I didn't read this properly yesterday.....so much love tursiops.

I have lost both of my parents now and although it was the most painful time ever....now I feel them with me. They will always be with me.

Thinking of you and hoping you know that you are not alone in this difficult time.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

so, will there be a new thread for those who decided to take the course?
Old 12-30-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by shakeel View Post
so, will there be a new thread for those who decided to take the course?
I was thinking of doing a thread per week, starting Monday 1st, if people think that would be a good idea? if so, I'll link to it from here.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

since it's already next year in some parts of SR-land, here's the thread for week one:

A Mindful New Year - Week One