Notices

SR addiction?

Old 12-27-2017, 12:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SR addiction?

I know it’s a good distraction from the AV, but man! I’m on this site like white on rice. I’m okay with it right now- I need it and I have a bit of a lull at work. I’m only just finishing day 9. Anyone else glued to SR, like all day long? I’m so, so grateful for it and everyone on here...
Old 12-27-2017, 12:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

To me anything that adds something to my life is not an addiction - but if that something starts to rule my life, then I think it's time to give pause.

I've spent ten years here and gotten back much much more than I've given. I don't find SR unhealthy at all

D

Last edited by Dee74; 12-27-2017 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I spent a ton of time here during my first few months getting sober, there were some days I sat glued reading and posting. I still check in each day, because it is a great support, and I love to be here to support others too.

SR is truly an amazing community. Glad you are here!
Old 12-27-2017, 01:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm here two or three times a day when I'm sober; I stay away when I'm drinking. I'm pretty sure there's some kind of connection there...hmm...
Old 12-27-2017, 01:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr

Yes me too.
for me the more i post and read the more it helps me.
the time spent here is converted from otherwise looking for something to do time. I know if i am here i am safe and sober. I also try to give support and encouragement to people who i have never met and have just opened an account looking for help. I often thought about what your asking at least the can i get addicted to SR, ami spending too much time here. In my case its something i am willing to accept with open arms.

Sometimes I close the site and its because i have a family too and i dont want to annoy anyone. I post in the morning and to have a break from work. I am on alot these days because i relapsed from mid end november to 20th of december. Also its quite enough in work and as i am in front of a PC all day. I have had more sobertime since i joined SR than i have had in my life. It is helping me perfect the fianl big master plan. I have learned more here than i have in alot of other groups or in therapy or with doctors. It helps me to hit a thanks button on a post, too read and to write. Its recovery ontime and online.
Glad your here with us Magpie.
We need us
Old 12-27-2017, 01:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not an addiction but I do check in often. Using AA as my program of recovery, helping others is the big part of continuous sobriety.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SR and the Gym.

My support mechanism.

Vital for me and I don't care if that is forever as both add to my life and do not subtract from it.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m nearly four months sober and I read and post on SR quite a bit. My attitude to sobriety (my whole life really) is very different to the first time I got sober and SR has played a big role in that😀
Old 12-27-2017, 01:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SR is one of my many support tools. A positive.n
Old 12-27-2017, 02:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sober style

The internet and SR in particular can be a great force for good, but you can get too much of a good thing of course. I think I probably spend too much time online myself, although I'm moving in the right direction these days, I'd say. Always good to turn the computer off for awhile and go have some madcap adventures out in 3-space, like our ancestors used to.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've also cut back on my time online.

But early in recovery? I pretty much pitched a tent on SR. It helped a lot.

One thing I've come to believe firmly is that you need to be here when times are good, not just during the early days or times of white-knuckling. Being here in sobriety really helps you identify as someone who is capable and moving forward.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hah! Thanks guys. I feel the same way- I know it’s helping me tremendously. I’m going to use it as much as I need it. I’ve got Tony’s story of relapse in my head (one of my favorite people here ), and of course my own history of relapse telling me not to stray far from support. I feel fantastic on day 10!
Old 12-27-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm on here all day, every day, but consider it a force for good in my life.