Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Ending a fling with an alcoholic and drug abuser - how do I go about it?

Notices

Old 12-26-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have been seeing a guy I work with. He is a bartender at the restaurant I work at (stupid to get involved with a colleague, I know). We also attend the same college. What we have is nothing serious. A casual fling. However, recently, and especially during these sober holidays (where I have distanced myself from him) he has been expressing feelings that are greater than the casual fling we have. I haven't reciprocated.

Not only because I unfortunately do not feel the same, but this man has showed no willingness to change. He is an alcoholic and occasionally takes coke (I stay away from coke - a friend of mine overdosed on it when we were in secondary school and she has permanent brain damage - wine and weed for me).

I am going back to school and work in January. That is when I will tell him it is over. He has shown no willingness to change and merely thinks abusing drugs and alcohol is a phase. Sad thing is that he is such a great guy with so potential but he is blinded by his love for the high. Before, I had no problem with it since I had no problem with my alcoholism. But no more.

I would like some advice on how to end it. Any of you been in similar situations? My preference is that I tell him the entire truth and don't hold nothing back. Tell him we cannot see each other anymore because of my sobriety. But I do fear hurting him. Plus we still have to work together and be amicable.

Would appreciate advice. You guys have been so helpful on my 6 days sober. Could not have done it without you.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The answer changes depending upon if you would be with him if he gave up drink and drugs or not?

Worth thinking about your answer seriously.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by tiredwoman View Post
My preference is that I tell him the entire truth and don't hold nothing back.
What will you get from this?

What will he get from this?
Old 12-26-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
What will you get from this?

What will he get from this?
I feel like what I will get from it is peace of mind. That I didn't lie to him. I told him God's honest truth - I can't be romantically involved with an alcoholic while trying to sober up.

And what I feel he will get from it is the honest truth he deserves and that maybe hopefully, he can see things differently. Like I have.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
The answer changes depending upon if you would be with him if he gave up drink and drugs or not?

Worth thinking about your answer seriously.
Very good point.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think as long as you can stick to staying away from him, then the truth is always best.

But.

You previously stated that you don't want to out yourself about "alcoholism." I think alcoholism is always a self-diagnosis and that it's never appropriate to call someone else an alcoholic (unless your lives are inextricably linked.) If you do so, you're going to cause all kinds of drama.

Could you instead just say, "I'm quitting my previous party-girl stuff, and I need to kind of stay away from it for a while." Without using the word alcoholic in reference to him or to you. That's like throwing gasoline on a fire.

You're leaving in a couple months. He will probably try to hook you back in with promises, so be aware. And regardless of how you do it, it will create some uncomfortable feelings at work. I would try to minimize them by not using inflammatory language.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

And what I feel he will get from it is the honest truth he deserves and that maybe hopefully, he can see things differently. Like I have.
You might want to read in the friends and family section how trying to save someone from themselves normally goes.

How will it go for you at work when everyone knows about the conversation you are planning to have with him? Because they will.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I think as long as you can stick to staying away from him, then the truth is always best.

But.

You previously stated that you don't want to out yourself about "alcoholism." I think alcoholism is always a self-diagnosis and that it's never appropriate to call someone else an alcoholic (unless your lives are inextricably linked.) If you do so, you're going to cause all kinds of drama.

Could you instead just say, "I'm quitting my previous party-girl stuff, and I need to kind of stay away from it for a while." Without using the word alcoholic in reference to him or to you. That's like throwing gasoline on a fire.

You're leaving in a couple months. He will probably try to hook you back in with promises, so be aware. And regardless of how you do it, it will create some uncomfortable feelings at work. I would try to minimize them by not using inflammatory language.
Great advice as always., bimini. I should be paying you hourly Yes alcoholic is a inflammatory word. And people who are boozers tend to get very defensive and angry and upset when labelled with it. I know have in the past.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You might want to read in the friends and family section how trying to save someone from themselves normally goes.

How will it go for you at work when everyone knows about the conversation you are planning to have with him? Because they will.
Well no one at work knows that we see each other. We are pretty discrete about it and never let on at work. Though in the aftermath I do think there is a poential for people to know due to tense feelings.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My point is that when you tell him you won't see him because he has a problem with drugs and alcohol you can expect his reaction to include a farewell to discretion. ESPECIALLY if it's true!
Old 12-26-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My point is that when you tell him you won't see him because he has a problem with drugs and alcohol you can expect his reaction to include a farewell to discretion. ESPECIALLY if it's true!
So I should lie to him? Because this is the key reason. He knows about my staying sober during Christmas and just thinks it is a phase. Thinks he will "get me back on track once January kicks in." Now I know those words are not said with malcious intent - but rather being accustomed to the party girl he has always known in me. When I told him about my sobriety, he just flat out dismissed it and took it as a "joke." And that is what led me to this decision.

If people at work find out, well I will live with it. We will be far from the only ones fraternising in that place. Plus I leave in 6 months and if I have slog it out, I will. I just feel I owe him the truth on this.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

So I should lie to him?
You said it was a casual fling. Therefore your sobriety is none of his business. His sobriety is none of your business. Not telling someone something that is none of their business is not a lie.

You don't want to go out with him any longer. You don't owe him an explanation. You can give him one if you want to, but there are likely to be unintended consequences. If you want to deal with them, have at it. I'm just trying to help you see what they might be.

Good Luck!
Old 12-26-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Nonsensical;6722661]You said it was a casual fling. Therefore your sobriety is none of his business. His sobriety is none of your business. Not telling someone something that is none of their business is not a lie.

You don't want to go out with him any longer. You don't owe him an explanation. You can give him one if you want to, but there are likely to be unintended consequences. If you want to deal with them, have at it. I'm just trying to help you see what they might be.

Interesting lternative view, I must admit. Did not think of it like that.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So I should lie to him?
No easy answer to this I'm afraid.

I'd tell him (in my case it'd be a her) the truth. Be straightforward but use your words carefully so you don't offend him. That's pretty much all you can. If he gets mad he gets mad. Oh well that is his problem.

Lying to him won't solve anything at least if you tell him the truth you can both hopefully work on finding a solution to the problem.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerZone View Post
No easy answer to this I'm afraid.

I'd tell him (in my case it'd be a her) the truth. Be straightforward but use your words carefully so you don't offend him. That's pretty much all you can. If he gets mad he gets mad. Oh well that is his problem.

Lying to him won't solve anything at least if you tell him the truth you can both hopefully work on finding a solution to the problem.
Yeah you are right about being more diplomatic and using my words carefully. That is my plan but also can't hide my desire to sober up. Was dumb to get involved with a colleague in the first place.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Exactly what Nonsensical said.

People at work know you're a partier and they're going to notice - him included.

Do your thing, stay away from. Say as little as possible. Just laugh it off when they try to get you to imbibe.

"Ha, no thanks, I need a break!!"

It was a fling. At work. Lesson learned. Don't make it into some big huge event. That's part of what alcoholics do - always looking for attention and having to spill every single thing and make it all about us. A lot of it is manipulative, when trying to get others to act a certain way.

Dignity and discretion are the way to go on this one...if you want to be able to work there in peace - or in some peace.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Exactly what Nonsensical said.

People at work know you're a partier and they're going to notice - him included.

Do your thing, stay away from. Say as little as possible. Just laugh it off when they try to get you to imbibe.

"Ha, no thanks, I need a break!!"
Thing is he already knows that I have realized I am an alcoholic. I was chatting to him on the day I felt really sick after draining a bottle of brandy - the day I became a member here. He knows of my desire to change.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was a little strong in trying to "covert" my drinking friends when I first
really saw how great sobriety was working in my life.
That's a common thing, I hear. . . but you know, it doesn't work.

People actually get defensive and angry more often than you'd think.
They perceive you as judging them, acting superior, even though that
isn't at all what you mean.

Sometimes, this leads to them under-mining your recovery by trying to tempt you,
or trash-talking you to other people so they feel better about their own party life.

Given that he already will be hurt that you don't return his "romantic" feelings,
I'd stay clear of saying too much like bim says.

My line might be something like: I'm going to really focus on school this last
term as I was being way too casual before, and to that I am planning on
no partying and not dating anyone seriously.

The road to your professional future is being paved right now.
That's a legitimate reason to focus on what will count in the long-term.
This guy, this job are blips on your radar, but you must endure them
for six more months. Best to do it as hassle-free as you can
Old 12-26-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

This is pretty much what I was thinking ..
It is tough ending any type of relationship...
Especially if you will be seeing that person at work.

But I agree... No need to get to deep in the reason. If you aren't "feeling" it for him then you are being honest.

You don't want to go out with him any longer. You don't owe him an explanation. You can give him one if you want to, but there are likely to be unintended consequences. If you want to deal with them, have at it.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It was a fling. At work. Lesson learned. Don't make it into some big huge event. That's part of what alcoholics do - always looking for attention and having to spill every single thing and make it all about us. A lot of it is manipulative, when trying to get others to act a certain way.

Dignity and discretion are the way to go on this one...
I’m with Bim and Nons. Nobody wants to hear the above, but I think the corrolation is quite true.

Back to something Nons said or implied...Beware of the potential issue that he could hear your “truth” as.... “oh gosh if you just quit too, we’d be perfect together”.

Careful what you wish for. If he “sees the light” he further entangles you. (And he would know that.)