Notices

Alcoholic Neuropathy

Old 12-22-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Neuropathy

Hello, Just a quick intro i suppose. Been
regular drinking beer about 10 years to varying degrees of intensity, and now codeine over last 2 years.

Im now at day 14 clean after a week long taper to about 4 units then stop, ive done this about 5 or six times in the past, with only one that stands out as quite bad, but that was more to do with the the Molly ingested the previous night, and felt better a few weeks later.
This time is very different, I have been experiencing restless legs each night, only being able to sleep 2 to 3 hours in one go, But what bothers me the most, and what i cant seem to find much info on, and the reason for this post is I have been feeling an extreme uncomfortable/sunburn/hot prickly/cold chill/covered in a layer of oil(especial over my eyelids for the oil bit) feeling, almost constantly, even moving position in bed to the cold side, of putting cold or heavy clothes feels almost unbearable, i just feel so exposed as though my nerve endings have been exposed through my skin. as i mentioned its been two weeks to the day now, and its getting very worrisome, as there has been no change or let up or relief. oh and when i eat a medium sized meal, the feeling of burning uncomfortable body intensities tenfold is seems. Its worse than RSL or insomnia, Im pretty sure it's some form or peripheral neuropathy, but i have struggled find any info on this particular experience... Im just wondering if anybody has any experience with said feelings or symptoms, and weather or not it fades and timescale. It is truly horrendous... Thanks for your time. Good luck every body.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry for rushed sounding post, im just desprate for info. cheers.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just posted about this in a more recent thread on the forum, fyi
Old 12-22-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would suggest you see your doctor for a full exam to explain these symptoms.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had the sunburn prickly feeling, itchy sometimes. The ends of my fingers felt numb occasionally. Nothing like the covered in oil feeling though. I had pain in my legs at night,sometimes it would wake me up. . I really think almost every symptom known to man can occur during withdrawal. It sucks x 1000.
Can you check with your Dr about your particular symptoms?
Hang in there!
Old 12-22-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi mlake8

that doesn't sound pleasant. Unconnected with drinking for me, but I've had nerve issues in my face and the burning sensation is familiar to me, tho not the oil or the cold.

Maybe it's worth seeing a Dr about ?

D
Old 12-22-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would suggest seeing a dr also. probably a neurologist. I will say that those are all the same symptoms that I get in in the bottom of feet. I was diagnosed with it around 5 yrs. ago and still continued to drink for a couple more yrs. most people get the pins/needles or numbness but I get the hypersensitivity. it can go either way. never heard of it in the eyelids but it could be some form of neuropathy. diabetic is the most common form of peripheral neuropathy followed by alcoholic. diabetic usually progresses while alcoholic can improve with abstinence. in rare cases it can totally disappear (doubt I will get that lucky) but improvement is common and without a doubt mine has improved since I quit. the RLS is probably due the codeine withdrawal . out of all the crap I've experienced that was the worse for me during opiate (painkiller) withdrawal. not sure what you meant with the tapering. one or both. you really should go and get some relief from a dr.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Doc is a good suggestion.

I had similar but less intense withdrawal symptoms during my last and hopefully final cessation from alcohol and lunesta. Faded within a month from my last drink.

Opiates can also cause itchiness and "pins and needles"
Old 12-23-2017, 01:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PennyLane76 View Post
I had the sunburn prickly feeling, itchy sometimes. The ends of my fingers felt numb occasionally. Nothing like the covered in oil feeling though. I had pain in my legs at night,sometimes it would wake me up. . I really think almost every symptom known to man can occur during withdrawal. It sucks x 1000.
Can you check with your Dr about your particular symptoms?
Hang in there!
Thanks for reply, the oil thing is a weird one. Best way I can describe it is sometimes i just feel like my entire body(including heavy feeling eyelids) is/are covered in a thin film of grease or oil exerting a slight pressure/burning sensation, I imagine its just the way im interpreting it, to others it might be explained completely differently i guess.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Not drinking cured almost all my problems.

I was so deeply poisoned it took over 2 years to...get used to normal.

I am confident that a relapse would return me to a state of crazy I would not recover from.

Drinking days are done forever.

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mlake!!
Old 12-23-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not a doctor or giving advice.
But, what you call a form or peripheral neuropathy,
I called withdrawal symptoms.
My body did some crazy stuff at night during withdrawal.
My feet would freeze and my body was covered in sweat. Even having a puddle of sweat in the nap of my neck.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went through some weird symptoms too like water running down my face or arm/leg , cobweb sensations on face . I had the RL symptom too . My first stop was my doctor and he run a load of tests which all came back normal . Not drinking and knowing the doc checked me over got me on the road to recovery from these weird symptoms . Remember that heavy drinking and dependency on other substances stresses our body to a high degree and it takes time to heal and sometimes much longer that you would think . One of the scariest things I had was buzzing numb sensations on soles of feet while walking but that too has gone . In my case all these sensations were due to a high level of stress and anxiety due to binge drinking .
Old 01-06-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post
I just posted about this in a more recent thread on the forum, fyi
Could you provide a link to that, please!?
Old 01-06-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wish anybody with a similar experience would reply. Your case sounds a lot like mine, Mlake8. A good decade of irresponsible binge drinking has depleted my health, induced liver damage and brought about symptoms of neuropathy. I find it hard to control my walk when I get up or if I walk longer my left leg/quadriceps start to hurt.

I have scheduled a doctor's appointment for detailed examinations but I have to wait for two weeks, then more for the results. It's a long game with doctors. Internet has made me aware of the damage I have done to myself, and my symptoms/condition. I have lost weight, I am malnourished and I have decided to stop in hope of a full recovery.

If anyone has gone through the same situation, please share some words of hope or encouragement. The fear of damage being permanent is crippling my hope. I am 34, and I seem to have recognized and reacted to the first signs of serious health issues. Is it too late? My legs hurt, I have chills, dry, itchy eyes and skin, I flush after a meal, I'm super stressed. No hunger/thirst/frequent urination typical of diabetes, though. It's most likely neuropathy, but most websites say the damage is usually permanent. Still, I have been having these symptoms in recent weeks only, recognized them, stopped drinking, I'm fixing my nutrition promptly... Is there a hope of reversal (abstinence provided)?
Old 01-06-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

lafoie, when I was getting tired and worried about my drinking I started looking at Doctor Google, too.

Doctor Google scared the bejeebus out of me.

The body can heal quite well and quickly - but the only way out of this anxiety and the only way to have chance of complete healing is with continuous sober time.

I had to stay off medical websites. You have a doctor's appointment, just don't drink and eat good nutritious food until then - I'll bet everything will come back okay. I am completely healed from the effects of alcohol, and that seems to be the typical reports from people on here that I've read. It does take some time, months. The fear and anxiety you are having is partly due to early sobriety. Just hang on.

Can you take a walk for a half hour? Get off the internet and out of your head? I know my head wasn't a safe place for me to spend too much time in early days.

How about an AA meeting? They have cookies...
Old 01-06-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi lafoie

I think the first thing to do is get a real life doctor to give you a diagnosis. Google is not meant for that.

It is ABSOLUTELY not too late to turn things around

I'm not a Dr but I know from my own experience how much the mind and body can snap back once we stop drinking

D
Old 01-06-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. I need this support as I am awaiting the doctor's appointment and hoping for relief. I'm not returning to drinking surely, it's a question of managing this rather sudden manifestation of harm.

I'll hang in.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hpdw View Post
I went through some weird symptoms too like water running down my face or arm/leg , cobweb sensations on face . I had the RL symptom too . My first stop was my doctor and he run a load of tests which all came back normal . Not drinking and knowing the doc checked me over got me on the road to recovery from these weird symptoms . Remember that heavy drinking and dependency on other substances stresses our body to a high degree and it takes time to heal and sometimes much longer that you would think . One of the scariest things I had was buzzing numb sensations on soles of feet while walking but that too has gone . In my case all these sensations were due to a high level of stress and anxiety due to binge drinking .
Thanks so much for this!
Old 01-13-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I feel your pain

When I first checked into rehab 8 months ago I was walking with a cane. I had pins and needles every night. My feet were killing me and I was downing aleeve like it was candy. This was not from withdrawal as I had been dealing with this on and off for years. I am only 41 and I was really worried I had done some real damage as I had let it go on so long. I felt like an 80 year old man. Long story short after my 6 weeks were up in the hospital I was pain, and cane, free. It just took time away from alcohol and a little TLC. Alcohol is poison and it does a real number on the body, and mind. The body is an amazing thing though and will generally do a good job healing itself. Just don't drink and likely you will be ok. Ask the doc about B-12. That's what the doc recommended to me in the hospital.