Notices

Need some recommendations.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Need some recommendations.

So I'm almost at two weeks. Urges have not been strong, but my mood swings have been, one day I'm happy and completely motivated, the next I am sad. I think it's to be expected this early on. I have been going out and going to the gym to just get out of my head for a while. I know that it is time that I need, there is no quick fix to this, and I am willing to work and fight for that.

Any recommendations on books to help with anxiety/depression or early sobriety? I am also practicing mindfulness and meditation, and going to join a Yoga class as I need new routines.

Thanks, your support so far has done so much for me so far.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a great book list thread here Tubesy

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)

I recommend Allan Carrs Easy Way to Stop Drinking or Jason Vales Kick the Drink (both are very similar) and Caroline Knapps Drinking: A Love Story

D
Old 12-19-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks dee, I will check them out!

Has anyone dealt with similar feelings, and did the level out given the time? I know two people are never the same, but that will give me hope and even more motivation to push through.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, Tubsey, early recovery is kind of all over the place. I managed to get through the days and attempted to deal with the guilt and shame I was feeling. I think, by the end of 3 weeks, I turned a corner. But, you're right, recovery is an ongoing process.

Congratulations on 2 weeks of sobriety.

And, do check out the Book List. It's full of titles read and recommended by our members over the years.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Early recovery is definitely a roller coaster ride of emotions.

Its like we dam our feelings up for years and then,,,the dam breaks..eventually the water settles and we find a constant emotional 'water level' again.

Things do level out For me I feel much more consistent emotionally at about 3 months. Compared to 30 years of drugs and drink, that was a good deal I think

D
Old 12-19-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's on the book list, and it's not specifically about drinking, but I found Thich Nhat Hanh's book Being Peace to be of great help for my attitude.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tubesy View Post
Thanks dee, I will check them out!

Has anyone dealt with similar feelings, and did the level out given the time? I know two people are never the same, but that will give me hope and even more motivation to push through.
Yes, 100%. Quitting drinking for an alcoholic is a major life change. Right up there with having a child or losing a loved one. Your life changes dramatically. Most people feel a huge void, and that leads to boredom which can lead to relapse. Early on I watched some drinking documentaries that telegraphed where I was heading if I kept going. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The book This Naked Mind helped get me started. Also, check out what's available in the podcast world. I like Recovery Elevator, Since Right Now, and Recovered.

As for depression/anxiety, regular exercise has been very beneficial for me, so definitely pursue some form of physical activity.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am feeling much better, thanks everyone, and will do some book shopping tomorrow. I will also continue with exercise, and practicing mindfulness.