Notices

Tips for a sober christmas

Old 12-16-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tips for a sober christmas

Christmas is a difficult time for alcoholics and turkeys!

Just thought Id run a list on what can help people stay sober this christmas.

Dont be fooled by the romanticism of the alcoholic advertisements around this time of year. The seductive splashes of whiskey being poured over crisp ice cubes. The frosted up glasses of bubbly. All that is a load of poop. As a recovering alcoholic there was nothing romantic or classy about my drinking.

Pre-lapse leads to relapse -if the thought of drinking is on you, speak to another recovering alcoholic, get to a meeting or ring the AA hotline. Do not sit on these thoughts. Another recovering alchie will help ruin your thought of drinking ��

Xmas Parties - if you really dont want to go, then dont. Your sobriety is more important than people pleasing.

If you do go, keep yourself safe, by having an exit plan. Leave when it becomes too much, take yourself off for short breaks, always have your soft drink in your hand at all times - do not put it down. It is easy to accidentially pick up the wrong drink. If someone buys you a drink, have someone else taste it first, or give it the sniff test.

You do not have to explain yourself why you are not drinking, to anyone.

Drive yourself there and back, be responsible for only yourself and no one else. You are a alcoholic in recovery - not a taxi service!

Leave when you have had enough.

If you feel like dancing then do - everyone will be too drunk to notice your sober dancing lol

Christmas Day
Its just another day with bells on. Treat it like any other day in recovery.

Any more tips?

Wishing you all a very sober christmas x
Old 12-16-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very helpful post!
Old 12-16-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good reminder Blueberry. Dee usually posts a thread with tips for the holidays. Look for it. Now is a good time to think about your game plan for Christmas and New Years Eve. I highly recommend watching a movie at home on NYE. But for Christmas, we feel the obligation to family and participate - just have a plan ready to escape, especially if things get testy for you.
All I'll add is that wherever you go, don't assume they'll have alcohol free drinks. Always take your own 'something to drink' along. A simple bottle of soda water will do. But make sure you have an alcohol free drink at your disposal so you can always say, "No thanks, I have one already" when somebody tries to offer you something else.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thats a great tip! Having your own drink at your disposal! Thanks for sharing x
Old 12-16-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, helpful words and especially liked the “not a taxi service” line as I end up being this guy.

Also keep front of mind just how good you are going to feel on Xmas, Boxing, New Years morning with no hangover, shame, panic or regrets!

I know this will help me.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Silverback4 View Post
Thank you, helpful words and especially liked the “not a taxi service” line as I end up being this guy.

Also keep front of mind just how good you are going to feel on Xmas, Boxing, New Years morning with no hangover, shame, panic or regrets!

I know this will help me.
Same as! I dont do it any more lol x Again its people pleasing, people that know you dont drink will take advantage of you in this respect, what I do is if someone wants a lift, i’ll say i’ll take them there but they have to make their own way back, there is nothing worse wanting to leave and waiting for people to make their way out of a venue, drunk people take forever to leave ha ha ha
Old 12-16-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
Same as! I dont do it any more lol x Again its people pleasing, people that know you dont drink will take advantage of you in this respect, what I do is if someone wants a lift, i’ll say i’ll take them there but they have to make their own way back, there is nothing worse wanting to leave and waiting for people to make their way out of a venue, drunk people take forever to leave ha ha ha
Yes they do and then inevitably want to stop for a pee, food, or worse to throw up.
Great signature message by the way. That struck a chord.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm still relatively newly sober (4 ish months) and will make sure I have a rock solid plan to protect my hard earned sobriety above all else. Great post blueberry btw!
The thing is too that I know without a shadow of a doubt that a sober Christmas with my family will be absolutely wonderful and I genuinely can't wait!
Treat that poison with the contempt it deserves, we dont need it to have a lovely Christmas. Those TV ads can bog off!
Of course on a serious note we have eachother now. Day or night 24/7 if anyone is struggling POST! Remember we are the lucky ones guys. No matter how far down this road we are I truly believe we are lucky. Let's look after one another and stay connected xxx
Old 12-16-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This will be my third sober christmas, and ive loved the other two! No arguments, no hangovers, no making a fool of myself - so worth it!
Old 12-16-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Silverback4 View Post
Yes they do and then inevitably want to stop for a pee, food, or worse to throw up.
Great signature message by the way. That struck a chord.
Lol!!! Funny really but also a bloody nightmare!
Old 12-16-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread Blueberry 😊

I attended my work's Christmas party last night. Had an enjoyable sober time. Wasn't tempted to drink in the least. Enjoyed getting dressed up, exchanging secret santa presents, the 3 course meal, music and dancing. It was such a relief not having to worry if I was drinking more than everyone else, eyeing up how much wine was left and being preoccupied with getting the next drink, or how much drinking time was left. Much more enjoyable minus the booze
Old 12-16-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, blueberry!
Old 12-16-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I try not to hit parties or gatherings hungry and make sure I eat beforehand.
I order a large mineral water and hold onto it for dear life.
Introvert that I am, I try to act happy and lively, even without alcohol.
I don't hold back on the food if any's available, after all I can afford the calories.
I don't stay too long.

I find that if I can get a glass in my hand as soon as I arrive, the temptation to drink is much less, if not zero. It makes me think that drinking was more about the glass than what was in it.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to my first sober Christmas too. Thanks so much for the post Blueberry. I had to laugh about the taxi part! Isn't that so annoying!! My family all drink like fish and it's always presumed that I will chauffeur them to and from family occasions when I'm on the wagon I have started making excuses as I would rather have the option of escaping early when they start the slurring and being generally obnoxious!! lol
Old 12-17-2017, 12:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

One thing that caught me out last year, was buying booze in 'for visitors'. People dont tend to turn up unannounced at Christmas and the booze went down my throat. Not going to give it the chance this year - any unexpected visitors, can provide their own.