Notices

Brain fog has come back after 8 months

Old 12-14-2017, 04:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain fog has come back after 8 months

Hi everyone,

I posted on this forum a while back when I was 3 months sober and had this really debilitating brain fog that just never seemed to desist but finally after 5 months I just woke up one day and most of it was significantly gone. However this particular week it has come back to haunt me again. It's definitely not as severe as it was before, which is a good positive indicator I'd presume as it shows that there has had significant healing improvement . It seems to be coming in waves as well, some days are good other days are bad. I'm just not happy right now as I really had my hopes up that i would never have to be put through this again but I guess my brain still has some healing to go through. I must be honest though and say that I have been putting my recovery a bit on the back burner of late. Like keeping in touch with my sponsor, going to meetings and doing my step work. So i'm hoping that it may be something as simple as me not putting in the action hence why i'm feeling the brain fog, etc. Anyway its still not all doom and gloom though, whenever i feel like i'm getting myself down about it i just think back to where i was when back at 3 months clean, when i had to move into my parents place because i could no longer look after myself. At least now I am fully indepedent and am a productive member of society again. What's uplifting as well is that my sponsor always says that as long as i don't use things can only get better, no matter how far gone you are. But if i do use then the clock will be reset and the brain fog will be much, much more severe than my mind can even fathom Can't imagine anything more worse than that .So yeah i'm gratefull with where I'm at in my recovery, it literally has saved my life. Have any of you expereinced these wave like episodes of brain fog come back after a long period of abstinence? Thanks guys and just by the way this online forum with everone in it has helped me so much, it is through your experiences that you have helped so many other people like myself to encourage others that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
You've made a lot of progress in your recovery, and I do agree with your sponsor that sometimes getting back into action is just what we need to get our lives back into order and restore our minds and bodies. Couldn't hurt to discuss how you're feeling with your doctor too?
Old 12-14-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good on ya for 8 months!
in all honesty, im having a hard time thinkin back to that time and seeing iffen i experienced the problem( dam promises- never said my memory would improve! ).
however, reading this:
I have been putting my recovery a bit on the back burner of late. Like keeping in touch with my sponsor, going to meetings and doing my step work.
has me thinking that may be part of the problem- resting on your laurels.

It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee - Thy will (not mine) be done." These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will.

im not tryin to say that is the problem, but it could be.i was taught that it can take upwards of a year for the full effects of alcohol to dissipate. it could be theres something else that is showing up, but it might be just the lack of work on recovery. might be wise to get back into action and see what the results are.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

It comes and goes in waves. I'm 7 months in, and still have spacy periods.

They keep getting less intense and more infrequent.

I think it's pretty normal.

Keep on your recovery.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Months three and four were mostly good for me. Month five I struggled a lot. No reason for it, either. Well, no external reason. 7,8,9, fine for the most part. I was working through some interpersonal things, but no huge deficits.

At month 10ish I suddenly felt "well." It was so nice.

Keep working, keep thinking about how you can support your sobriety. It took way longer than I was happy about, too.

Healthy meals, a little exercise, easy on the caffeine and sugar helps a lot too.

Other thing is just - people have "off" days. Everyone does.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello fellow sober recovery friends,

Today has been a substantially better day than yesterday when i made this post. The fog really hit me quite hard and I honesty thought that i was going to be in for another lenghthy fog episode (3 weeks at most) but fortuntely, by God's grace, it has lifted again.

The intensity and frequency at which these foggy episodes are happening are evidently becoming less severe, so yes i do agree with you on that MindfulMan.

I also 100% agree with you Tomsteve,I have been resting on my laurels by trying to do everything on my own again when I know very well that it never really works out for me that way. However when I come to that place of surrender, that i can't run the show on my own and I start living in my higher powers will, not mine, then there will be restoration of peace and joy. The fruits of recovery that we reap as long as we put in the action thats required so our higher power can do the rest.

Thanks guys i'm feeling much better already. I know what i havent been doing. The solution has always been staring at me right in the face. Its time to return back to basics of living in the 12 step program
Old 02-25-2018, 01:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I am very happy to say that I turned 10 months clean just yesterday. Just looking back at where I was before being clean and what I've learnt in recovery has been such a profound change in my life that I now see myself as an entire different person now.

However in spite of the clean time I've achieved I still find myself battling with brain fog, especially communication. I still find it very hard to find my words to express myself, especially when it comes down to feelings. Like for example I tried calling my sponsor today to talk about a resentment I had towards someone and for the life of me I just couldn't you know, find the right words to say? It's very strange some days I just feel like my mind is on track and everything just feels right and the words come by so naturally, other days it feels like my mind has taken a vacation and I'm relying on pure memory to communicate. It almost feels as if I'm fighting a war within my mind to force myself to say the right things but no matter how hard I try I keep on losing in the end. Sometimes I just wonder how much more of this brain fog I am going to have to take? It has been coming in these waves so frequently that I've given up on worrying about it and try to just laugh it off now and embrace the good days. I just see it as something that is a part of me now that I now have to learn how to deal with. I still work and maintain my believe that working the 12 step program will restore me back to sanity. As long as I work the program to the best of my ability and get through whatever I need to do just for today living in accordance with my higher power's will, then things can only get better. Can anyone relate to this?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Brett, to me it sounds like you're making great progress and we're all on different time clocks when it comes to recovery. I was still dealing with brain fog after a couple years, and heck even 13 years later I'm still not the greatest at articulating and expressing my feelings. I laugh about it too and just attribute some of it to getting older, it's part of the wreckage of my past.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I think "brain fog" is a fairly normal experience for people in recovery. Years of chemical abuse can take a toll on the old grey matter. I wouldn't worry about it too much about it unless it really starts to impact your life. The most important thing you can do is maintain your sobriety, as that should go a long way toward causing further damage. Our bodies can recover in amazing ways if we allow the to.

As was mentioned earlier, it couldn't hurt to talk to a doctor, especially if thing don't clear up or get worse. Otherwise, just hang in there and keep trying to do the next right thing.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Brett, I don't mean to bring up an old forum (not sure if you look at this much any more, or if anyone else will look)... But I too am dealing with this EXACT feeling that you feel.. Brain fog, it's like constant static, but also ear ringing. I'm 10 months sober and it happened to hit me 3 and a half weeks ago and it has been 24/7.. I've seen every doctor I could and taken as many tests as possible with neuro and GI yet... No results.. Everything is negative.. I feel like I'm losing my mind, like I'm going to have to accept fate and lose out on life. I'm 27 and it's hard to cope with the fog.. I'm not on any meds, haven't for awhile... So I'm hoping it's just my brain healing from the damage I've put on myself... Hoping this goes away quick.

If anyone can offer insight I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Icepickk

the original poster may not be active any more but I'm sure other will share their experience with you.
Glad to have you join us

D
Old 11-24-2020, 05:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Icepickk, welcome! We're all a little different in the chemistry, right? My experience was that I had to see a wellness expert and take a med for a little longer than a year to deal with the fogginess that came with early sobriety. I'd suggest starting by seeing a professional.

Glad you're here and I hope you stick around, there's lots of good information and experience to take in!
Old 11-24-2020, 11:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you astro, I will look into a wellness coach. I was perfectly normal, doing my every day hobbies and job and then boom, this crippled me from thinking and really just living... Any suggestions I will follow through with because I'm desperate at this point
Old 01-10-2021, 01:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Living with Brain Fog

Hi to all. Brain fog is a nuisance for sure. I have been sober for 15 years and still experience brain fog. This fog is more prevalent when I am trying to study or when I am trying to problem solve. For me this is a normal part of my recovery, and I accept it. Although I do get frustrated at times. What I have learned about this, is that there is an anxiety precursor, or for me, I suffer general anxiety disorder. What has helped me over the years is cognitive behavior therapy, mindfulness, and certain adaptogen herbs. The brain fog never truly goes but, I just have to live with it, and accept it
Old 01-10-2021, 01:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome calstep

I'm sorry you're still suffering brain fog at this point. Obviously as you say sounds like there's something going on above and beyond past alcohol or drugs use.

congrats on 15 years tho - great achievement
D