Notices

Decided to become sober

Old 12-13-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decided to become sober

Hello,
I am new to this but I figured I would try to post a thread and see how it went. After the final straw of this weekend, I decided it was time to be sober. It's been 3 days and I'm still feeling guilty. I don't want the feelings I have to continue therefore I think being sober is the best thing for me. I want to find that happiness in life. I don't need to drink to be a fun person I feel like I do stupid things daily basis alcohol it just adds to it.

I had a bad car accident this past year drinking and driving I do not remember any of it. I rolled my car 4 times off a 6-foot embankment landed upside down in the trees. I'm very lucky to be alive. That stopped me from drinking and driving however that did not stop my binge drinking's. Or drinking on a break at work just because. There's a lot more to life and I don't need to rely on alcohol. My plan is to go to the gym or in general just start walking. I also want to attend a AA meeting. I have a fellow friend who is sober for a little over a year so she is also a good support system.

I feel like drinking has taken a toll on my relationship although not every time when I drink do I become a monster but the times when I do it's always regret the next day and apologizing. I want to find that person inside myself and become a better person in general. I'm going to end my post, thanks for reading my first thread.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Welcome tangy - you will find loads of support here and more importantly a lot of knowledge from folks who have been there. I sympathize with the drinking and driving and wrecking (altho not as badly). I will be suffering the aftereffects of that for a year and more now. Read all over here at SR and post as much as you can. Me and a bunch of other people find it a lifesaver.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Tangypep!
Good Luck on your journey. Many share the same struggles and the same thinking and acting!
Old 12-13-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Tangy. You'll find us a friendly & encouraging group. Not sure where I'd be without this place.

That's how it was for me at the end of my drinking career - I could never tell what might happen once it was in my system. Most of the time I ended up in a dangerous or embarrassing situation. I also got a dui - it was terrifying. The only way for me to stay safe was to stop all together. I learned that one drink always led me to 10. It's so good to be free of it. You can do this.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Best decision of your life! No one has ever been proud to say "decided to be a drunk!"..No one.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tangypep33 View Post
Hello,
I am new to this but I figured I would try to post a thread and see how it went. After the final straw of this weekend, I decided it was time to be sober. It's been 3 days and I'm still feeling guilty. I don't want the feelings I have to continue therefore I think being sober is the best thing for me. I want to find that happiness in life. I don't need to drink to be a fun person I feel like I do stupid things daily basis alcohol it just adds to it.

I had a bad car accident this past year drinking and driving I do not remember any of it. I rolled my car 4 times off a 6-foot embankment landed upside down in the trees. I'm very lucky to be alive. That stopped me from drinking and driving however that did not stop my binge drinking's. Or drinking on a break at work just because. There's a lot more to life and I don't need to rely on alcohol. My plan is to go to the gym or in general just start walking. I also want to attend a AA meeting. I have a fellow friend who is sober for a little over a year so she is also a good support system.

I feel like drinking has taken a toll on my relationship although not every time when I drink do I become a monster but the times when I do it's always regret the next day and apologizing. I want to find that person inside myself and become a better person in general. I'm going to end my post, thanks for reading my first thread.
Welcome. Im glad you’re here with us, glad you’re alive, glad you shared and glad you’ve decided to embrace sobriety and live a life you can love, find joy and abundance in, and be free of alcohol’s grim claws.

You can do this. You won’t be sorry.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome tangypep

Although getting and staying sober was the hardest thing I've ever done - especially the initial period - I've never regretted it

D
Old 12-13-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Getting sober for good can be rough at first but it gets better with each sober day. Read and post a lot, there's lots of wisdom here. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.