The blaming is strong with that one

Old 12-13-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The blaming is strong with that one

That one being my AH. I have moved back in my apartment and changed my locks, my AH is now living in a new apartment, still in the same town.

He sort of admitted to doing cocaine: "I am not an addict, I do cocaine when I want to lose control". What?

Hasn't admitted to cheating on me: "I don't even know where I want that night I got ****** up". What?

But the blame and lashing out is incredibly hurtful.
"If you had a different approach"
"If you were less angry"
"If we shared and slept in the same bed"
"You need to let go of your anger"
"You did drugs in the past too"
"You are with someone else and you are using this excuse to get out of the marriage to be with him"
"I think you cheated on me with x and y"
"It's like your perfect and I am not even worthy of life"
"You are not easy to deal with"
"Why don't you love me and encourage me more"
"Why are you keeping our child hostage, I want to see him, you are low"
"I am working on myself, I don't want to party, I just want to work" (meanwhile, my landlord almost called the police on him that he was having parties at our place every night)

I think that's all I can remember from the last 10000+ emails he has been sending me since he has been living on his own.

It's hard, it's very hard. I used to sit there and try to reason and make him see the "reality", or at least my reality, but now, I just ignore and avoid him. I have had moments of weakness where I would email him and share how I feel, but after I sent the emails, I would quickly realize how I have wasted my time, because his replies were always in the lines of: "you think you are perfect and I am a monster".

I don't know how to handle these blaming games. I don't know how to emotionally protect myself from him, I don't know how to keep this kid away from him, so he doesn't emotionally drag him down either.

I feel that dealing with an addict is a skill, it's beyond learning how to communicate effectively. I am really struggling with this whole thing.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Since he has money for apartment and party, he ought to have cash for a lawyer.

I'm assuming by now you have one on retainer to deal with the divorce and custody.

This is where you tell his lawyer needs to contact your lawyer about supervised visits, and you screen your calls through the lawyer and don't
talk to him directly any longer.

As you see, it is unproductive and harmful to you, and does no good to your situation.

Go No Contact except about your son through your lawyer, and realize
he's making no sense, just blaming and deflecting, as you've noticed.

When does he go to Canada?
Old 12-13-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went no contact with the remainder of my family of origin, who were a LOT nicer than your ex.

Luckily, my ex never tries to pull this crap on the rare occasions we have to communicate.

Technology is a wonderful thing. Block him.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know how to handle these blaming games

when i played russian roulette, i was always concerned if i got the loaded barrel.
amazing how i dont have to be concerned since i stopped playing the game.

maybe you could stop being a contestant in the game your playing? stop allowing it to happen?
Old 12-13-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He is leaving tomorrow.

You are right, I am emotionally weak and I definitely seek to play the roulette as well, hoping that it falls on black 17 where he might actually be reasonable.

I have blocked him everywhere except email. It hurt when he called me low, that's when I "gave in" and decided to setup a meeting between my son and him before he leaves.
Interestingly enough, my son has developed food poisoning, so he definitely can't hang out with him today. My son and I have been up the whole night, serious projective vomiting.

Ok, I need to help formulating this email to him, before I block him. I am going to put him on block on the email as well.

I will tell him that my son is sick and can't see him today etc etc and how do I relay the message to tell him going forward it will have to go through the lawyers?
I have the support of his family 100%, I spoke to them all.
My divorce documents are drawn and ready, no lawyer yet, I wanted to go to Superior court and file them by representing myself, knowing he will most likely contest it and at which point, I will have a lawyer ready (I have spoken to two and I am prepared should it go that route).

Would you be kind to help me put together the email if possible?
Old 12-13-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe you need to block him and go no contact for a while. Addicts are master manipulators, especially with the blame game.

Remind me, are you in therapy? If not, get there, pronto. With someone who understands addiction and is there FOR YOU. Not for couples, just for you.

Sending big hugs.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

My ex was like this. I did not reply to a single one of his texts or messages. What could I have said that he would not have twisted and thrown back at me in some nasty way? He knew what he did wrong. He just didn't care. Don't talk to this guy or respond to him unless it's through your lawyer. He might very well use your responses against you in court somehow.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

Agree.

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Remind me, are you in therapy? If not, get there, pronto. With someone who understands addiction and is there FOR YOU. Not for couples, just for you.

Sending big hugs.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Can’t reason with an addict, so best not to try.
I would not respond to his hurtful, blaming texts or emails.
Blame is classic addict misdirection.
Good luck and good thoughts.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh dear Soulful, hugs to you.

He sounds a lot like XAH. Even all the lines are eerily the same. Many people can probably relate here. I can also completely relate to caving in when A calls you names - I did just that a few weeks ago, and I have been divorced for almost two years.

Handling alcoholic is definitely a skill, none of the effective communication stuff works. This is why marriage counselors refuse to see practicing and newly recovering alcoholics. Nothing you say or write will get through to him.

Honestly - I don't think you need to write to him anything but a couple of sensences stating what you are going to do. There is also software for scheduling visits I believe.

XAH lately has been calling, texting, and Skyping every day - I let DS pick up but I am not engaging - although XAH keeps asking DS if I want to talk to him. We have been actually pretty cordial until September when he cursed me out in public for nothing. Yikes.

Anyway - my "advice" would be to keep the note very short and not justify anything, and go do as much no contact as possible after that
Old 12-13-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry, for some reason I missed your post saying you are going to go NC even through email. I would wait until he leaves to tell him you will not be doing any contact except through an attorney. However, if you plan to rep yourself and he does too, that will create a whole new issue. I would let him leave before you tell him this just in case he does not go. As for today, I would simply give an email that states your son is ill and cannot see him. Then don't check your email again because I am sure there will be more manipulation there waiting for you.

Do you have a close friend or family member who can help you sort through this and read the emails for you and only tell you what you need to know. I had someone do that for me in the past, it was very helpful.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

But the blame and lashing out is incredibly hurtful.
"If you had a different approach"
"If you were less angry"
"If we shared and slept in the same bed"
"You need to let go of your anger"
"You did drugs in the past too"
"You are with someone else and you are using this excuse to get out of the marriage to be with him"
"I think you cheated on me with x and y"
"It's like your perfect and I am not even worthy of life"
"You are not easy to deal with"
"Why don't you love me and encourage me more"
"Why are you keeping our child hostage, I want to see him, you are low"
"I am working on myself, I don't want to party, I just want to work" (meanwhile, my landlord almost called the police on him that he was having parties at our place every night)
UGH I've heard most of these in the past few weeks myself. *hugs*

I'm getting better at recognizing manipulative, abusive, crappy behavior and I know you are too. Good for you for knowing it when you see it.

Hang in there.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm sure there are other websites, the one I am familiar with is called ourfamilywizard.com and all communication goes through the website and can be submitted to the court if he continues harassing and trying to talk about other things than the child.

I agree with the other amazing advice you have received. No contact is not impossible when you have children. FWIW: my ES&H it that I learned once I took myself off the table so to speak, I do not even have to deal with my xah on the website for the children anyways. Hugs
Old 12-13-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Let the lawyer do it. If you feel you must say something in advance: "From now on all contact will be through my attorney." You don't need to explain anything.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soulful View Post
You are right, I am emotionally weak and I definitely seek to play the roulette as well, hoping that it falls on black 17 where he might actually be reasonable.

I have blocked him everywhere except email. It hurt when he called me low, that's when I "gave in" and decided to setup a meeting between my son and him before he leaves.
Interestingly enough, my son has developed food poisoning, so he definitely can't hang out with him today. My son and I have been up the whole night, serious projective vomiting.

Ok, I need to help formulating this email to him, before I block him. I am going to put him on block on the email as well.

I will tell him that my son is sick and can't see him today etc etc and how do I relay the message to tell him going forward it will have to go through the lawyers?
I have the support of his family 100%, I spoke to them all.
My divorce documents are drawn and ready, no lawyer yet, I wanted to go to Superior court and file them by representing myself, knowing he will most likely contest it and at which point, I will have a lawyer ready (I have spoken to two and I am prepared should it go that route).

learning how not to engage took...welp...learning. personallky there was one word i had to tell myself a LOT:"NO."
as far as how to inform him all further communication will have to be through your attorney, i think that would be enough right there,(it seems youd have to be set up with an atty before that could happen ,though) but im not that smart and hope others can offer suggestions.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Blame-shifting projection.

It helped my sanity to reverse the pronouns when I hear this level of quacking... because he's really telling you everything he is struggling with himself:

Some of these read so much better as:

"If *I* had a different approach"
"If *I* was less angry"
"*I* need to let go of *my* anger"
"*I* am not easy to deal with"
"Why don't *I* love *you* and encourage *you* more"

It doesn't work for every sentence, but in my experience it often applies to the overall mindset of the conversation even when it's not so easy to convert literally. When I started hearing it differently, I was able to stop taking it so personally & see that he was really just lashing out at himself.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just want to say that the title of this thread made me snort w/laughter! Well done...
Old 12-13-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I just want to say that the title of this thread made me snort w/laughter! Well done...
haha I had to lighten the mood somehow. LOL
And you said snort... nice pun
Old 12-13-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Blame-shifting projection.

It helped my sanity to reverse the pronouns when I hear this level of quacking... because he's really telling you everything he is struggling with himself:

Some of these read so much better as:

"If *I* had a different approach"
"If *I* was less angry"
"*I* need to let go of *my* anger"
"*I* am not easy to deal with"
"Why don't *I* love *you* and encourage *you* more"

It doesn't work for every sentence, but in my experience it often applies to the overall mindset of the conversation even when it's not so easy to convert literally. When I started hearing it differently, I was able to stop taking it so personally & see that he was really just lashing out at himself.
Oh, I really like this. I decided to read all his emails reversing the pronouns and somehow his illogical slashing out made a lot of sense to me.
Thank you, this is a very good exercise.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Don't explain anything, just that your son is ill.

I also think waiting until he leaves before notifying him of the No Contact
is a wise choice.

The familywizard site is a great idea if you aren't ready to hire a lawyer yet.
I think were I you, however, I would get one sooner than later.
The quicker you get into "No Contact" the better.
This guy isn't giving up without a fight, it looks like. . .