Notices

How i know I am ****** up

Old 12-11-2017, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How i know I am ****** up

I am jealous of those who became skin and bones while drinking instead of ballooning like me, the porker. I know it is probably worse recovery wise for them, but it can't be worse then the mental state I am in or how digusting I feel.

Last edited by Dee74; 12-11-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember that illness of mind Babescake - my illness was to seriously resent and envy those who could drink like I did, but never seem to lose control like I did, and and then get up the next morning and not worry about drinking again until the next Friday.

I think knowing our thoughts are not healthy can be the first step to doing something about them, tho?

D
Old 12-11-2017, 10:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Babescake,

I lost weight when I stopped drinking, but that is because I had gained weight prior to stopping. I also added in healthy habits, eating healthy (most of the time), and exercise. I started slacking a little, so joined Weight Watchers about a month and a half ago, and I have lost about ten pounds, I'd like to lose another 5-10, but I am being kind to myself, and recognizing progress.

Getting sober is hard work, and you are doing it. Try gradually increasing your exercise, or cooking fun, and healthy meals. As hard as it is be patient, and also be kind to yourself. I know in the past I have been my own worst critic, now I try to focus on not saying something to myself that I wouldn't say to someone else.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’m same way. I’ve put on 100 lbs over the past 3 years, which I attribute to drinking. I’d like to lose about 80, which will take a year probably.

But if I keep drinking, there’s no way. I’ll keep getting bigger and bigger, if something else bad doesn’t happen first.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Eating reduced the amount I could drink, and it was unpleasant to vomit food, so I don't understand why any chronic/end stage alcoholic would eat regular meals. At the end of a bender my stomach was so messed up I couldn't eat then either.

But a friend of mine tells me that many of the illicit drugs in use these days have the effect of boosting the apetite, and most alkies nowadays are into substances additional to alcohol.

I also obsereved the hard drinkers back in the day were usually big guys. They drank large amounts, went home to regular meals, did themselves all kinds of health damage, but never had the type of problems I had. They were always in control, never drunk, never missing work etc. I wanted to be like them one time, but the ones I knew all died in their fifties so I am glad I didn't get my wish.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Eating reduced the amount I could drink, and it was unpleasant to vomit food, so I don't understand why any chronic/end stage alcoholic would eat regular meals. At the end of a bender my stomach was so messed up I couldn't eat then either.

But a friend of mine tells me that many of the illicit drugs in use these days have the effect of boosting the apetite, and most alkies nowadays are into substances additional to alcohol.

I also obsereved the hard drinkers back in the day were usually big guys. They drank large amounts, went home to regular meals, did themselves all kinds of health damage, but never had the type of problems I had. They were always in control, never drunk, never missing work etc. I wanted to be like them one time, but the ones I knew all died in their fifties so I am glad I didn't get my wish.
I have never drank every day. Basically alcohol has added to my clinical depression, which I have suffered through for years prior to drinking. However, in the past 2 years since my drinking ramped up, I have quit going to the gym and even basic cleaning, plus binging on fast or comfort food daily, so I have gone from 120 to 160. I was 135 six months ago, so I have done it quickly and know I need to stop for my health. It is hard enough dealing with alcohol, but add on depression and now an enormous weight gain that, to me, is the hardest to deal with because I have never been overweight, let alone now technically obese in my life, and I feel so hopeless. I know what I should do, but keep self sabotaging and am afraid I will put in the hard work and still fail.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is amazing how your body will bounce back if you take care of it. If you put in the work the pounds will come off and you will start to feel better. It will take some time and persistence but it is worth it! Keep making the next right decision.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Meh, skin and bones doesn't mean HEALTHY which I would imagine is the ultimate goal.
Change your mindset and the rest will follow.

Make small changes to what you eat/drink
Small changes will turn into big ones.
Make goals- Not too overboard, dont set up for failure.

I am actually doing all of this.

I have 2 meal replacement shakes a day
I have 2 snacks which could be:
snow snap peas, banana with peanut or almond butter, apple, cucumber, any fruit or veggies really is going to be my snack.
Then for dinner, I will have 2-3 eggs with salsa and beans, a chicken salad with a vinegarette dressing, shrimp...

I have cut out almost all carbs no whites no rice, no bread...

I was working out while drinking and I am having a bit of a challenge getting back into it... I am going through a stint of insomnia which makes it hard to wake up after 3-5 hours of sleep. SO, right now I am focusing on just waking up early every day, once I am waking up at 430, I will start to work out.
This morning I woke up at 6 and my son (2.5) decided to also wake up, well there goes a 25 mins workout I was planning on.

I wish you the best and if you want it bad enough, you'll do it!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can completely relate to your despair. I've gained a ton of weight too, and it is so depressing. However, the last time I quit drinking, I replaced it with food (specifically sweets, like candy) and didn't lose weight...go figure! This time, I'm working on a plan which includes walking.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I knew of a skin and bones drunk. Basically drank all the time and barely ate. He died last year at 34 years old. No coming back from that.

Stop drinking, eat well, hit the gym and you'll feel better and also shed pounds, and the compounding effects will pay dividends in the right direction (rather than the dividends received by eating **** foods and drinking 1500 calories).
Old 12-12-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I drink = I gain weight

When sober = I lose weight

The difference in me is anywhere between 14 and 35 pounds in two months.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, Babescake. I gained a lot of weight while drinking, but if you quit and take care of yourself amazing things can happen. I wrecked my car almost two years ago and nearly lost my life but the amazing silver lining to this is that I ride my bike everywhere and have become quite athletic, which I never thought I would ever say. In two years of sobriety I've dropped 50 lbs and lowered my blood pressure, and I just feel good, more relaxed and truly proud of myself. I also do yoga, which has been excellent for strength, flexibility and inward reflection. Please don't be hard on yourself; get started on a sober lifestyle and miracles will happen.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Take it one day at a time, and be good to yourself. You can reach your goals, just be patient and work toward it, it will happen.