Notices

Week Long Withdrawal

Old 12-11-2017, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Week Long Withdrawal

Hello everyone! My name is Mike!

I have been drinking 4-5 beers pretty much every night for the last 3 months. I recently stopped cold turkey last wednesday (december 6th) and have been experiencing withdrawal symptoms. it was really bad for the first 3 days. I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. I am feeling a lot better now and the only thing that still persists a little bit is my heart still feels very tight at times but it is manageable and feels like it is getting better by the day. I'm going to stop going to the bar every night but I would still like to be able to drink when i go out with friends to dinner or for family events. Im reaching out for advice because i don't want to have two drinks when I'm out to dinner with friends and have to restart the withdrawal process over again.

I was planning on waiting until all of my symptoms were completely gone before even trying to have another drink. A lot of the info that I read on the internet states I should remain sober for at least 6-12 months to fully recover and then I can possibly start to drink occasionally again.

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and has some advice to give!

-Mike
Old 12-11-2017, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Mike. Withdrawals vary from person to person, but if you are worried about the symptoms it's best to see a doctor. Regarding your question, their is no "safe" period in which an alcoholic can return to drinking "moderately". It's an all-or-nothing proposition so to speak. Glad you are here asking questions.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Mike.
Glad you found us.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the response guys I really appreciate it.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by starwarsdude View Post
I was planning on waiting until all of my symptoms were completely gone before even trying to have another drink. A lot of the info that I read on the internet states I should remain sober for at least 6-12 months to fully recover and then I can possibly start to drink occasionally again.

-Mike
Hi Mike!

Not sure where you read the part I quoted in bold text, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't here on SR.

The problem is that withdrawal symptoms like you describe are likely a sign that you've developed a physical dependence/tolerance to alcohol. Once that dependence is established, it doesn't reset no matter how long you abstain. There's no return to "normal" drinking.

This seems to be pretty much a universal experience. In 5 years on this board, I can't recall seeing an exception, although I've seen plenty of people who have tried unsuccessfully (including myself).

You don't have to take my word for it, though. You may be the exception that proves the rule. If you're able to do what you describe and return to moderate drinking, please come back and let us know.

If it doesn't work out and you decide you need to stop drinking for good, please come back anyway for support and encouragement!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mike, I am a woman and have drank way harder and longer than you, though not daily. So I don't have withdrawals in the acute form either. However, my physical and mental health have been severely compromised. I had depression WAY before alcoholism, but once I let alcohol engulf me 2 years ago, I am a wreck trying to climb through. Verge of divorce, 40 lb weight gain (hardest for me as always fit and healthy, but then turned to food, drinking and nonmobility for the last year out of sheer misery). Laid off no fault of my own but depression and self esteem so bad now I dont want to leave the house now or be in public. And I continue to self sabotage or try to cope with my misery with drinking more. All it is doing is packing on more weight and making my hole deeper. It is truly sick watching and knowing you are doing this to yourself, but still the same cycle.

Take it from me, quit when you are ahead. I have some new motivation, for the billionth time with sobriety and health. I lament on what I was, even 6 months ago and get discouraged. What if. If only. I need to change my mindset on all and just push forward. I suggest you do the same before the tunnel's light dims to blackness. Do it without a drink. It will save you from yourself.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Mike - welcome

A lot of the info that I read on the internet states I should remain sober for at least 6-12 months to fully recover and then I can possibly start to drink occasionally again.
Thats not been my experience Mike - although a lot of my life was about finding that mythical beast of 'normal drinking'.

Trying to find that nearly literally killed me.

So I stopped trying to fit alcohol into my life.

I'm actually glad it wasn't my experience now because I've gained so much from not drinking, and lost nothing of any consequence

D
Old 12-11-2017, 10:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I wasn't an alcoholic. Oh no, not me. I was just going to detox and then go back to "normal" drinking. Or stop for (insert time here).

Oh no, not me. Despite waking up looking at a sprinkler in the ceiling wondering when I'd installed that. Taking 5 minutes to remember I was in rehab detoxing.

Normal drinking doesn't include that.

If you can easily stop for 90 days you MIGHT not be an alcoholic. Don't count on it though.

It's not just that you don't want withdrawals....do you really want to go back to daily drinking?

Plus we ALL minimize our drinking. 4-5 beers every night? Even on weekends? How strong?