Notices

1st day sober

Old 12-11-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tv1

1st day sober

Ive tried AA so many times and know I need to quit. I can stop for a few days but then life gets to be too much and I drink again. Alcohol has taken so much away from me. I am a binge drinker. I am happy to have found this forum. Wish me luck as I am trying this again.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by Tv1 View Post
Ive tried AA so many times...
By "tried" do you mean only attended AA meetings? Or have you tried a sponsor and tried the steps?
Old 12-11-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Tv1

Had a sponsor and tried the steps. Just stopped going after a major life event. I got to step three. I know I am an alcoholic and I desperately want to stop. Thank you for your reply.

By "tried" do you mean only attended AA meetings? Or have you tried a sponsor and tried the steps?[/QUOTE]
Old 12-11-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Wish me luck as I am trying this again.
Luck is good, but a plan is better. What's your plan for the next time life gets to be too much and that voice in your head starts to tell you that a drink (or 12) is the answer?

Welcome to Sober Recovery!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I hope you can embrace recovery this go around. If AA helps, great. Work the program. If it didn't help, there are other ways to get and remain sober and those methods are discussed in many threads here. But regardless of the method, having a firm plan in place is important. You need something to support your decision quit drinking.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, tv1.

You will find an abundance of support, understanding and encouragement here.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Tv1

Plan

I have a huge AA meeting place 2 minutes from my home. I plan on going there as much as i can. I need to surround myself with people who support sobriety. I dont really go out or even hang out with anyone other than my son and girlfriend. I hide my drinking at home with bottles hidden. Beer cans hidden. I know my son will catch on soon as he is 9 and stays with me often. My gf doesnt drink but has told me I need to stop. I wass in the hospital last month for severe anemia and low white blood cell count. I came home and was sober for weeks but then got right back on it. I am going to do my very best. Thank you for responding to me

UOTE=Nonsensical;6704462]Luck is good, but a plan is better. What's your plan for the next time life gets to be too much and that voice in your head starts to tell you that a drink (or 12) is the answer?

Welcome to Sober Recovery! [/QUOTE]
Old 12-11-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Tv1

Other ways?

[what other ways are there to stop drinking other than AA?

UOTE=doggonecarl;6704465]I hope you can embrace recovery this go around. If AA helps, great. Work the program. If it didn't help, there are other ways to get and remain sober and those methods are discussed in many threads here. But regardless of the method, having a firm plan in place is important. You need something to support your decision quit drinking.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-11-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, as you read more and more of this forum you'll come to learn that hoping and praying you can quit may have the best of intentions, but rarely work. It is taking action that will lead you to a life of sobriety. And its work. But you can do it. Believe it or not, sobriety is easier than binge drinking. I know, I did it for years.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[what other ways are there to stop drinking other than AA?
Secular connections a bit further down on the board index. Lots of alternatives and discussion.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Tv1...This is my sobriety plan at a glance:

[ ]Watch my sobriety video message I made
[ ]Post on SR
[ ]Text, call or email my sobriety mentor
[ ]Tapping
[ ]Daily guided meditation
[ ]Daily gratitude list
[ ]Refer to my Sobriety Affirmation
[ ]Refer to my list of reasons I decided to embrace sobriety

Wishing you well on your recovery journey 💜
Old 12-11-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TV1

Joining this community really made a difference for me. Support really helps - if you use it.

what other ways are there to stop drinking other than AA?

Outside SR there's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

You can also see your Dr or an addictions counsellor to start the ball rolling, and of course there's inpatient or outpatient rehab.

If AA feels like the way to you then go with that - start again and complete the steps maybe?

D
Old 12-11-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Tv1

Thank you for that

“ Sobriety is easier than binge drinking” ... i needed to hear that .. so thank you. Im worried about the next few weeks. I am going to be sober tonight. Pull this thing off day by day.