Notices

Made a lot of wrong decisions this week

Old 12-10-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made a lot of wrong decisions this week

Not sure how to feel about it all. I didn’t drink. That seems to be a big deal around here. Anyone got a good YouTube on self compassion? I wish I could run away. Maui sounds nice.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think life is full of good and bad decisions. However when were sober, we can face the consequences and take it all in stride,

I like Wayne Dyer for self compassion, you can find more videos if you google him.
Video for wayne dyer
▶ 1:49:19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h6qiM1p7SQ

Be well, and hang in there
Old 12-10-2017, 09:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m glad you stayed sober! Yep it is kind of a big deal! Congratulations!
Old 12-10-2017, 09:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We can't run away from ourselves though Press. There was some good suggestions posted on your weekend threads. Have you read those though or didn't you want to look on there yet?

Glad you're here and posting and stil, sober. Might be worth starting to work on your recovery though.

BB
Old 12-10-2017, 10:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Staying sober is something to be proud of. I try to stop myself when I start getting negative about myself, and think about whether I would say that to or about anyone else, and I wouldn't. We are all works in progress, I have accepted there are some parts of me there are further along than others, and that's okay.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am glad you are still here Press, and so glad to hear you are sober, as SF says, that is a big deal. We all make bad decisions, some of us more often than others (raises hand) but I think the important thing is to keep working towards a better version of ourselves. Some days that means simply showing up and staying sober. Other days we are able to put in more effort towards real progress and change.

I'm having a bit of a rough go of it at the moment myself. Let's get through this day together, what do you say. All we have to do is show up and not drink. Anything else we can add is a bonus.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Press,

You seem to have depression. I'm not doctor but having read many of your posts I think that is very possible?

Some of us are depressed because we drink. Some of us drink because we are depressed. And for some of us neither is causation but just correlation - both exist independent of each other.

A business mentor of mine told me to seek help for depression. I decided against this and determined to get sober before I went to that expense in an attempt to see if it was my drinking that was causing me to feel like I did (depressed) or not? I am only nine days in and feel completely different so I will not see help for my low moods now as I'm fairly convinced that heavy drinking is my starting point for depressed moods.

You've stopped drinking and still feel low. Maybe this is because it is still early days for you in sobriety or maybe it is down to something else? I'm not qualified to say? - I'm just sharing my own experience with you.

Being told to love yourself more and that you're worth it can sound so trite when you feel so utterly worthless (I know) - but the truth of it is that you ARE WORTH IT and going to the Maldives, Thailand or anywhere isn't really going to help in the end I suspect?

Not sure what to post other than that? Congratulations on not drinking. It is a big deal - not just on here - it is simply a big deal for people like us that can't control it.

Wishing you strength from the UK - direct to YOU.

Regards,

JT
Old 12-11-2017, 12:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think Tony's hit on something Press.
Maybe seeing your Dr or therapist isn't such a bad idea?

D
Old 12-11-2017, 03:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Step ten was a lifesaver for me. Clean up any new mistakes as we go along, and boy, did I make some mistakes. The person who never made a mistake never learned anything.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maui does sound nice but running away won't really solve the problem... friend