Notices

Still Sober

Old 10-29-2004, 11:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still Sober

Three Weeks Sober!! I can't believe it it feels fantastic. Went to a friends birthday dinner this week, drank water and still had a great time. The wine bottle was in front of me at one point and boy did it smell nice but I just moved it out of the way and breathed through my mouth. I still hate the thought of never drinking again. I feel like one day I will be better and able to drink sensibily like everyone else can. I told my partner this and it worried him that I might try again to just have a few occasionaly. I've been down that road many times and I know where it leads. For now I will keep taking one day at a time. I am calmer, happier, healthier, have no more feelings of guilt, there are less fights at home and I wake up fresh every day!
Old 10-30-2004, 03:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

Hey Kylie,welcome And Congradulations.
It's One Day At A Time For Me Too!!
Old 10-30-2004, 03:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by Kylie
I still hate the thought of never drinking again. I feel like one day I will be better and able to drink sensibily like everyone else can.
Congratulations on the first three weeks! No small accomplishment that.

I think that one of the truely scary (err, cunning, baffling) things about drugs (and alcohol is a drug) is that even after we get free for a time and know full well the depths that using has taken us to in the past, we still have this idea that somehow life would be better if only we could learn to use successfully. After 25 months without having to get up and drink just so I could make it into work without shaking like a leaf on a tree, there is still that part of me wants to believe that someday I will be better and be able to enjoy a glass or two of wine with dinner like the so called "normal" people. The sober (and happy) part of me knows that when I say "a glass or two" I might as well say "a bottle or two" because, for me, there never was such a thing as one glass of wine in twenty five years of drinking. That is a fact that I have to remind myself of on a daily basis.

So many good and positive things have happened in my life since I started recovery and yet there remains that little voice that says "Wouldn't be great if I could have all this happiness and drink too?"

For me, that's what I mean when I say "Hi, I'm Tony and I'm an alcoholic."

Jah Bless
Old 10-30-2004, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

3 weeks is great ! One day at a time.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It helps me when I remind myself that one is too many and a thousand aren't enough. Godspeed to you on your recovery journey.

jojo
Old 10-30-2004, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Kylie...welcome to SoberRecovery....and FANTASTIC job on three weeks, keep up the awesome work.

Wishing you all the best on your journey to FREEDOM.

Love and hugs....Denise
Old 10-30-2004, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Congratulations on three weeks! That's a long time. Good for you.
Please, please read carefully the previous replies. We can never, ever drink safely again. For us, booze is poison. Read the Big Book carefully. Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom. Sobriety means complete abstinence.
I don't like it either!
But I must stay sober or lose everything. Probably. Likely.
Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Three weeks - congrats! Keep going you'll be so much happier!