Notices

Collecting Christmas cheer

Old 12-10-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Collecting Christmas cheer

So as we approach Christmas already I have amassed a collection of booze from Work suppliers

And have I said thanks and given it away ...no, it’s under my desk to bring home and put in drinks cabinet for Xmas

Odd behaviour as I don’t have any intention of drinking it ..obviously like every one in early recovery I get the AV voice telling me it’s ok but I can quite easily snuff him out of my head now ..no intention of going back to what I was 8 months ago

I’ve had alcohol in house since quit , the odd bottle of wine from a bbq,half bottle JD from last true bender ..my old dads beers still in garage ..they don’t bother me

So why am I collecting booze now?... - seems a really odd thing to do..as I say I have no intention on drinking and if others drink at mine at xmas then it’s not big deal ..just seems even in my insane mind a mad thing to do !
Old 12-10-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Probably a similar response to when people gulp down free drinks during the open bar segment of a wedding or another event?
It’s free?
Nonetheless, I would give away as much as possible.
But that’s me.
I have a bottle of wine in the frig for when my sil visits, and a couple of crap beers for guests.
That’s it, though.
Both forms of alcohol that don’t tempt me.
Now, bourbon.....
That would be another story.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would also give it away. My house is 'dry' - my duties as host stop at giving out alcohol

D
Old 12-10-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am 5 months behind you in my sobriety and can relate somewhat.
I have attended lots of social drinking events. My partner is a normal drinker and I will not allow her choice to be affected by my own situation.

I have quite a bit of booze in the house dotted around for Xmas gifts, visitors etc and have went out and bought alcohol for others quite s few times, gifts, some brandy to make a toddy for my partner when she had the flu etc.

I can honestly say that it doesn’t bother me at all. Doesn’t matter if drink is right in front of me or on a shelf in a shop a mile away, I ain’t drinking it.
Way I see it is, if I am going to take a drink and I mean really decide that I am going to drink, I will go and get it regardless of where it happens to reside. Could be in my garage, fridge or half a mile away at the nearest shop/ bar.

I am grateful for feeling strong on this now and will keep working to ensure this remains the case. I trust myself not to drink alcohol.
My drinking has dictated what can and can’t happen in my loved ones lives long enough. I won’t allow my sobriety to also dictate to them if that makes sense.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Having alcohol in my possession or at my disposal, isn’t safe for me. I’ve found if I offer it to someone else, they always take it. Just having it creates a weight on my mind and stresses my resolve. Having a dry house, or desk, is calming and safe. I’m not going back!
Old 12-10-2017, 10:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Why not donate it to soneone who can raffle it off for charity ? Or hold your own office raffle and donate the cash to a charity of your choice. It'll make you feel more glowey than keeping it will. Honest.

BB
Old 12-10-2017, 10:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well as they always say, you are posting here abut it so it must be of concern. I too built up quite a collection of people bringing wine for a dinner that never got drank, bottles I bought for cooking, gifts from people who didn't know I don't drink. And then one day it was just there when I was having a really bad moment and it was too easy for me to cave and drink.

I had a tremendously bad day yesterday, I was really terrified I was going to drink and even for a while thought seriously about it/planned it out for later for when my kids left with their father.
I am so thankful that I had the extra layer of inconvenience built in to the act of drinking- in that it wasn't readily available to me in my home. I don't like to say this, I really don't, but I do fear that I would have drank yesterday had I had alcohol readily available to me.
You may very well be different in this regard, but please, please consider it fully and thoroughly.

As for the other alcohol in the house, if that is serving no purpose to someone else I would seriously consider getting rid of that too.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Why not donate it to soneone who can raffle it off for charity ? Or hold your own office raffle and donate the cash to a charity of your choice. It'll make you feel more glowey than keeping it will. Honest.

BB

That’s a great idea :-) , Work raffle and shows the boss isn’t such a grinch as they all suspect ! Win - win !!

Thanks 😊👍🏻
Old 12-10-2017, 11:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Seems a resolution has already been found to the OP's particular situation but just my $0.02 for anyone else?

Value of keeping booze in the house if no intention to drink = zero
Value of giving booze away if no intention to drink = (pick any number you like but it has to be greater than zero doesn't it?)
Old 12-11-2017, 12:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mr

Agreed : "just seems even in my insane mind a mad thing to do !"