Notices

Just out of treatment - still shaky

Old 12-10-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just out of treatment - still shaky

Hi all! I just completed a 30-day treatment and feel pretty good. I’m 31 and after struggling with severe (functioning) alcoholism for years, I made the best decision ever by going to treatment. 31 DAYS SOBER!

I’ll be looking for a home group and Sponsor in Nashville and will be getting involved in church groups and volunteer activities. Thank God my company was amazing and support in my decision to take off a month as well.

My main question is this: I’m on day 31 and am still very shaky. Some days it’s worse than others. Today is one of those days. Has anyone had experienced this? The doctor in the rehab facility said it could last a month after stopping and also Ativan may cause withdrawals, but I took my last one 3 weeks ago. ANY advice or thoughts on this would be so very much appreciated. It’s driving me nuts!

As a side note, I’m so glad I found this forum!!

Last edited by NASH256; 12-10-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Headline was incomplete
Old 12-10-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on your first month sober! As for the shakiness, I'd see a doctor if it's still bothering you in another month. It took me a while to get back to normal after getting sober, so it may just be related to quitting drinking.

Glad you joined us!
Old 12-10-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes
I’ve experienced it
Wasn’t long ago I left Mirror Lake
You may know of it due to the area you mentioned
Still had issues
Old 12-10-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I might think about getting a second opinion on the shakiness if it continues. Hopefully it will diminish and you'll feel better. I'm glad you found us.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you!!
Old 12-10-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi NASH and welcome. I think being here is a great start for you on your first day home from treatment.

Today is my son 's first day home after treatment at the Ranch near Nashville. Beautiful area. It looks as though you have a good plan to support your new healthy life. We will be setting my son up for IOP as well as 12 step meetings. Is IOP an option for you?

SR has been a fantastic resource for my own sobriety, so I encourage you to be active here.....and especially proactive on those hard days!
Old 12-10-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Shakiness is one of those things that varies a lot from person to person -- there's no standard timeline for it to go away. I had quite a bit of trouble with it myself, but it finally ebbed over time.

Assuming you've seen a physician to rule out other causes, the important thing to remember is that it WILL go away eventually if you stick with sobriety.

Sounds like you have a strong recovery "toolkit" in the works -- hope you'll stick around and make Sober Recovery a part of it!
Old 12-10-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Nash. We're so glad you found us - this is the best place ever for friendship & encouragement. No one in my life actually understood what I was going through, so having the support of SR was wonderful. You're never alone.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Nash

D
Old 12-10-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey, Nash. Glad you're here. 31 days is awesome and it's good that you have a plan in place. SR has been of immense help for me in my sobriety. There are lots of good people here who really get it and are generous with their wisdom and encouragement. I hope you stick around.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is so amazing! Thank you for all the advice and support! I have a feeling I’ll be a frequenting this site!

Quick question - how do you respond to someone’s individual comment? Or do I post on the whole thread?
Old 12-10-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-10-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NASH256 View Post
....Quick question - how do you respond to someone’s individual comment? Or do I post on the whole thread?
You can respond privately via the private message option or just post to the thread Nash. It just depends on your preference given the subject.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NASH256 View Post
This is so amazing! Thank you for all the advice and support! I have a feeling I’ll be a frequenting this site!

Quick question - how do you respond to someone’s individual comment? Or do I post on the whole thread?
Hi, and welcome!

To speak to a particular post, click the blue "Quote" button below that particular post, then type in the box below the [ / QUOTE ] thingy that comes up in the box and it will end up looking like this box right here...or just post away, we'll figure it out.

Congrats on 31 days!
Old 12-10-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family Nash, this is an Awesome place.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Nash, welcome to SR and congratulations on 31 days! I too had a great experience in rehab and am so thankful to have had the opportunity to go.
About the shakiness, another thing to ask your doctor is about any side effects of medications you may be taking. I was prescribed Depakote, a mood stabiliser, and it made my hands shake so bad for a long time. I also had twitches in my eyes, other parts of my body, but I noticed it a lot in my hands.

Also, I love your quote in your picture, it is one of my favourites. I also like "the salts of life make the fruits taste sweeter"
Old 12-11-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Having the shakes was almost a badge of honor as a drinking alcholic. It was very common around the meetings when I joined AA. After the meetings we had tea and coffee cups with saucers to catch the spills as most of us were shaking so much we couldn't guarantee not to spill our drink on the carpet. We were all pretty skinny too. Nowadays there are more fat people turning up, and less people with the shakes.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

it's not at all unusual to have all manner of odd physical symptoms and issues for the first year of sobriety. Shakiness, moodiness, depression, anxiety, strange sweatiness, sexual issues, emotional issues, weakness, boredom, loneliness, anger, frustration, grief, fear, weight gain, weight loss, panic attacks, blissfulness, extra energy, not enough energy.....

you name it - it can happen during sobriety's transformation from addiction to living life.

as has been mentioned - if you have physical concerns; speak with a doctor. If you experience emotional or psychological concerns; get yourself a qualified therapist.

Keep at it, keep supporting your sobriety and you'll be free!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I did five weeks in rehab and had withdrawal symptoms for about 45 days after that, which gradually tapered off. It's normal.

But talk to your doctor. As someone mentioned above, it could be another medication.

A doctor, preferably a psychiatrist with experience in addiction, should be part of your recovery if at all possible.

Are you home now? I see you're looking for sober living, but I'm surprised that the rehab facility wasn't able to help you arrange that before you left. I have a dog and a house that needed tending, so I went home. Many of the people I was in rehab with who went home relapsed, did another inpatient stint, and are now in sober living. Get there as fast as possible.

Congrats on your sobriety. Please realize that it's probably very fragile at this point, particularly if you are not in some sort of structured environment. Your rehab plan should be as specific as possible. Decide on how many meetings you will attend each week and have a plan for which meetings. Schedules are good.

If a follow-up Intensive Outpatient Program is available, I would strongly suggest you do it. My rehab was 12 Step based, my IOP was cognitive based, referred by my psychiatrist, and also covered by my insurance, it was dual-diagnosis to deal with the underlying bipolar disorder along with the addiction. Rehab had cleared the insurance before I left. I credit this program as being essential to my sobriety, not sure if I could have stayed sober otherwise.

Individual therapy is also an option.

Hopefully your doctor can give you some answers about your continued WD symptoms, as well as help with your ongoing treatment. If possible, it shouldn't end when inpatient ends.

Keep checking in!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Hi Nash, welcome to SR and congratulations on 31 days! I too had a great experience in rehab and am so thankful to have had the opportunity to go.
About the shakiness, another thing to ask your doctor is about any side effects of medications you may be taking. I was prescribed Depakote, a mood stabiliser, and it made my hands shake so bad for a long time. I also had twitches in my eyes, other parts of my body, but I noticed it a lot in my hands.

Also, I love your quote in your picture, it is one of my favourites. I also like "the salts of life make the fruits taste sweeter"
Yes, I’m so thankful for my experience as well! And as for the quote, I actually got an anchore tattooed on my inner wrist yesterday to always remind me of that.

Thank you for the advice!