old journal-WWYD

Old 12-09-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

old journal-WWYD

My shrink from many years ago must have suggested I keep a journal. I was never good at it. I didn't find it especially enlightening. I'm not creative or artistic, and my handwriting is mostly illegible, anyway. I found a couple and read a little, and it just made me sad. Not terribly sad, just a little, because I was desperate for my partner to change, so I wouldn't have to.

He never changed. He died. I'm free. I have moved on. I did some things recorded in those books I wasn't proud of. it was a lousy period of my life. I'm not that person any more.

Pitching them seems the right thing to do. Have any of you done this? Any regrets?
Old 12-09-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. No regrets. I burned one too many photos - fire is cleansing.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

V,
As long as you have made peace with them and you don't want to save "somethings" in there. It is your past and you have moved on. I see no harm in removing that stuff from your life. I have been divorced 3 years now and still can't throw that stuff away. I guess this is something to think about.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had wedding pictures which I hated my pose. I kept them anyway because it was my wedding. It was my memory. I recently got rid of the bad pictures. I don't need to keep reminding my self of the bad memories. I can let those memories fade and remember the happier times.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

" I have been divorced 3 years now and still can't throw that stuff away. "

Yeah, part of this is that I'm not getting any younger. One day, someone will press house keys into my nephew's hand, and say, "She was a nice lady. Kinda quiet. Kept to herself. Hope you can find good homes for those cats." I'm trying to downsize the dumpster they will have to rent.

It's weird. When I think about destroying them I cry, but it's not a sad cry. It *feels* like the final step in forgiving /accepting late husband. I can reminisce about the happy stuff and let go of the crap.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

" I can reminisce about the happy stuff and let go of the crap."

2018 New Years Resolution my friend!!!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, it doesn't sound like you will regret disposing of it at all. We keep it for as long as we need it, and releasing it can really set us free!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My counselor told me to burn mine. To have a celebration of sorts of how far I have come, and how my life is different now than in those journals. Freeing.

I will give you something funny to add. I don't know if this is an issue for everyone like it is for us, but we have a million socks in our house that never seem to have mates. Later in the evening, my children and I passed on the unmatched socks to the Sock Gods and burned all those too. We took pics and have a good laugh when it comes up.

I did both of these things in one day, and am glad we did something silly to lighten it up. FYI....kids were not home when I burned my journals!
Old 12-11-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A galvanized pail usually used for pellet stove accepted the journal.

I told Late Husband I was sorry for my shortcomings, and prayed to God to learn to forgive more fully. Then I had to shower, because my clothes all smelled of smoke. I didn't need current guy to ask "What the ----? What happened?

Really, no one can hold a grudge like me. Everyone has their strengths, and unfortunately, that's mine.