Notices

Questions about AA

Old 10-29-2004, 10:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about AA

I'm the girlfriend of an alcoholic. He really wants to quit and has decided to get therapy for the "stuff" that he's stuffed inside for so long. He also has depression in his family and will seek the help of (possibly) antidepressants.

I used to drink and quit 10 years ago. I went into therapy and also took antidepressants. I have great faith in the Lord and He's helped me SO much. I haven't even wanted a drink since then.

My question is: If my boyfriend goes to AA, is there a rule that they can't be romantically involved with anyone within the first year? I thought that I had heard that somewhere before.

This is a great forum!
Old 10-29-2004, 10:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Girlfriend, and welcome.

It is suggested that members not start any new relationships in the first year of recovery. You're cool.

Hugs,
smoke
Old 10-29-2004, 10:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Al-Anon

Here are the steps you can use to answer your questions,

1. Go to an Al-Anon meeting. They have a phone number in the yellow pages of your phone directory.
2. Go to an Al-Anon meeting. Al-Anon probably has meetings nearby your home or work.
3. Go to an Al-Anon meeting. There are men and women there that have asked the same questions, and many more, and have found answers and solutions.
4. Go to an Al-Anon meeting. If your boyfriend gets sober and you don't go to meetings, you might have to ......
5. Go to an Al-Anon meeting.

Good Luck,

Jim
Old 10-30-2004, 03:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hi and welcome Girlfriend!

There are no "rules" in A.A. only suggestions, and only one requirement for membership: "the desire to stop drinking." Certainly, no one would suggest that your man give up the support of a loving and caring woman who wants to help him in order to join A.A. He is so lucky to have you in his life. You cannot do the real work for him, but you can make a big contribution with your love and support. Best wishes to both of you for a happy future together.

Jah Bless
Old 10-30-2004, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the 1st year

hi girlfriend
I have just gotten my 1st year last week
I relapsed 2 mos after getting married, the relationship means
no relationship for the 1st year as no (new) rel
for most people will go to meeings to find the "cute" sober chick/dude
so as not to have to look at themself
they say no major changes for 1st year, but that also is a suggestion
no one follows these for all quickly get into a relationship as soon as possible
but none of this means anything except this: get a sponsor, get a home group, do service work, and hit as many meetings as possible
oh and dont drink
good luck with your partner
D
Old 10-30-2004, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Girlfriend! Welcome! I am Marty, alcoholic, AA member. I don't think there is any problem. As mentioned above, there are no actual rules in AA - only suggestions. And I believe that suggestion only applies to starting new relationships in recovery. Sounds like your on the right track. Keep strong your faith!