Notices

Re-wired

Old 12-07-2017, 11:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Re-wired

Hi All,

It’s been a while since I ve been here on SR, I am close to 14 months sober and facing my first real big problem since quitting (my marriage is collapsing and will most likely end soon).

What I want to say to everyone trying to work out if this sobriety thing is worthwhile, as I once was, is that for the very first time in 20 years I can see and analyse a problem clearly. My crisis default mode had always been drinking and drugs, but this has been going on for about 2-3 months and I haven’t even considered drinking. Not once, and I also know I won’t regardless of the outcome. This is allowing me to take time to understand and deal with the way I feel.

I guess I am Re-wired.

I am not saying my marriage won’t end because I am sober, but I know I’ll come out of this in one piece.

Being sober doesn’t make it any “easier” to deal with the situation, it sucks whichever way I look at it, but easier is not always better.

I think the right analogy is that when you reach rock bottom drinking makes it look like the hole is not as deep as it is, which feels easier, but gives you the wrong impression of how much effort is needed to climb up, so you never get out.

The hole is as big as it is, there’s nothing anyone can do about that, and the only way out is to climb the whole way up. I personally think that drinking makes that impossible.

My best wishes to everyone.

Mr P
Old 12-08-2017, 01:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Mr P.

Great share and I wish you the best. Your post definitely shows you know that the best outcome is going to be achieved as long as you stay sober and use your new coping skills.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"The hole is as big as it is, there’s nothing anyone can do about that, and the only way out is to climb the whole way up. I personally think that drinking makes that impossible."

So true. Great metaphor.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the troubled waters but your recovery sounds mighty resilient Mr PL

D
Old 12-08-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your recovery. Sorry to hear about your relationship but it is great to hear that you can now face this head on. That is one of the main things I hope to achieve in my recovery......to face life as it is.....sober.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, MrP, it's sitting with the feelings that is the hard part. I'm sorry for your situation at this time, but you sound like you are ready to deal with what happens.