Notices

Five days sober...this time.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Five days sober...this time.

So last February I decided to knock this drinking thing on the head once and for all. I'd been tinkering with it since 2013 after a severe beating while drunk that I honestly couldn't remember which put me in hospital and left me with broken ribs a few fractured vertebrae and a fractured skull. I was basically targeted by a gang and mugged. My friend who pulled me out said I'd done nothing wrong but there's no way I'd have gone where I did sober. At that stage I was drinking about 10 pints of beer a day often getting a bottle of vodka and a two liter bottle of coke to round off the evening. I'd always been a heavy drinker but it had gotten to the stage where I was having a few doubles before work just to steady the nerves. The week of the beating I had lost my job due to alcohol and just decided to drink myself to death. After the incident I went off alcohol for a few weeks before deciding I could handle it again. I'd not drink all week before rewarding myself with a bottle of vodka on a Friday night. One Saturday in February I woke up slightly yellow for the first time ever and decided that was that and managed to quit until last Thursday. The yellow only lasted about 6 hours but was enough to scare the hell out of me. Then I fell off the wagon again and bought a six pack of beer. For the first time in years I woke up feeling a real hangover and disgusted with myself.So here I am on day five again. I'm terrified though that I'm after doing some terrible damage. I've not experienced any real pain in all that time. I am worried though about what feels like heartburn in my liver area that comes and goes along with weird hot flashes in my neck and head.Ive had the flashes for years but with the "heartburn" think I'm getting really frightened . I know I should get to a doctor but am putting it off because I'm terrified they'll tell me I'm on the way out... Anyone else ever get weird indigestion?
Old 12-05-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 5 is great! I'm glad you're working on your recovery. Do you have a plan?

I think talking to your dr would be a good idea.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

great job on 5 days!!! Find a group meeting or some sort of sobriety group. It will help you. Keep posting here and asking for advice there are tons of support here.

Good luck Davin
Old 12-05-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Coincidentally, I'm five days as well. This is the first time I've thought seriously about trying to quit in a year or more. And for pretty much the same reasons - physical symptoms that convinced me I have come to the end of the line, if it isn't already to late. I had probably the worst hangover ever, vomiting for 2 days. Pain in my upper right quadrant (probably a swollen liver) muscle pain in my arms and calves, chest pain, and problems swallowing, which made me worried about eosophgeal varices, or even worse, eosophageal cancer.

I'm not a hypochondriac, I just know what happens to people who drink as long and as much as I have. I don't really want to die, at least not this way.

Starting to feel a little better today. I have been trying to eat very small amounts of fruit and vegetables and protein, took some vitamins. ( I had hardly been eating anything the past month or two) I've been drinking orange juice, milk, and "sleepy time" herbal tea (I think it helps a little with the shakes.) Take 1 gravol at night to sleep.

As you can probably tell, this ain't my first rodeo. I know the drill. It's just never been this bad before.

I still have some of the weird throat symptoms, though, and that concerns me. If it's the same in a week or two, maybe I'll see a doctor.

I'm between jobs, thankfully, or I don't know how I would manage this. Mainly I've been sleeping, reading, and listening to guided meditation tapes. I try to tick three or four chores or tasks off my list every day. Sometimes I find I have to stop and lie down, and then start again, working for 15 minutes at a time.

Well, good luck other person who has five days.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What I've been doing lately when I get the urge to drink/use drugs I make sure I think of all the bad times I've had while drinking, in particular, my most embarrassing moments. As alcoholics, we've all probably had a ton of them but a few probably stand out and are a lot worse than the others.

It seems like you have some you can use. Next time you get the urge think of what happened with that gang and think of you turning yellow. It should make it easier to resist.

Also, like others have said come up with a plan. Remember though coming up with a plan is only half the battle you have to actually go through with it for it to work. It's easier said than done but it is doable. Others on here are living proof of that.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! Five days sober is great, you are almost through that first week. I agree seeing a doctor is a good idea. I know it is scary, but I think the anxiety of worrying about what is wrong can make things even scarier. Once you go to the doctor if there is something wrong you will be able to make plans to address the problem.

This is a wonderful site, with lots of support. Check out the December class, you will find others who have also committed or recommitted to sobriety this month. Also, the 24 hour thread is a great place to check in for the next 24 hours, and make connections with some amazing people.

I'm attaching links to both of those, and also a link about surviving the holidays, and one that Dee always shares about plans.

December Class 2017
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ad-pt-1-a.html

Link about Recovery Plans
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

24 Hour Thread
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-321-a.html (24 Hour Recovery Connection Part 321)

What is a Recovery Plan
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

Holiday Survival Guide
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ers-2-0-a.html (Thanksgiving and Xmas Survival Guide vers 2.0)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done both for 5 days . Speak to doc if your worried .
Old 12-06-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome guys.. The burning has somewhat subsided but am still going to bite the bullet and see a doc.. I'm actually more worried about them reading me the riot act for my past behavior that what actually might be wrong.. funny thing is that I've pretty much lost the taste for alcohol. Those 6 beers could have very easily been a bottle of vodka. I'm just kicking myself that I threw away 10 months off for a few poxy beers for really no reason not to mention the resultant hangover and anxiety about my health....
Old 12-06-2017, 09:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 6

A little more energy today. Less muscle pain, less nausea. Even felt like a cup of coffee this morning. The swallowing thing is better but still noticable. No alcohol cravings yet, but I know they are probably hiding in the bushes up the road. I am craving sugar, though, and bought a box of Clementines. I've eaten a third of the box. They're really good.

I didn't have to lie down today, although I did sleep pretty late. I had crazy dreams that I actually remembered. REM rebound. I cleaned and put up a few Christmas decorations, sorted through some old books to donate to the library, and cleaned out a closet. I listen to NPR and try not to think too much. One foot in front of the other. Thursday I'll go to a meeting if the roads aren't too bad.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 6 sounds like heaven compared to your day 5! Great work and thank you for sharing. (Day 4 here)