Five Years Later and "This is Us"

Old 12-03-2017, 11:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Five Years Later and "This is Us"

I just wanted to thank the admins for stopping the thread that I started over five years ago. My daughter had just been born. I was trying to make good decisions for my kids and myself. I found the best advice from people who listened to me and just gave me support. I loved Divorce Care at a local church. The best thing that I learned in Divorce Care was that your kids are 50% of you ad 50% of your spouse. It kept things in perspective and helped me make better decisions. It was an interesting journey. I actually filed twice for divorce, but the divorces timed out. My husband had two DUIs. He lived at his parents with our kids and served his sentence at home and was able to be a part of our kids life. My kids have lived most of their lives at the inlaws in a small town. It takes a village to raise a family, and this is just our village. I spent three years working in the city and seeing my kids on the weekends during my divorce. I called them everyday during the week. I just wanted to see them on the weekends. We could not find a parenting plan that would work for both of us. I had an opportunity to work from home with my job, so I took it so I would not have to commute. I have loved living with my kids. I have also been rebuilding my relationship with my husband. He has been sober. My kids are 7 years old and 5 years old and honestly do not know that their father was an alcoholic. I really thank to God that we have had a lot of beautiful moments as a family. It is not perfect. I am not sure how I will explain it to them-Our relationship was not perfect. But he was the love of my life-compared to the other guys I dated. He got sober. He finally got a job that he kept. It was a part-time job, but he was there for our kids and took care of kids with the extra time that he had. He has been a good dad. He recently got a Subaru Legacy car (yeah, break collision!), and he has had the ignition interlock on his car. I am still in a full-time job at the same company that I have been with for the past 14 years.

I love the show This is Us. It is so raw. I feel so much like Rebecca and the way that she loves Jack and explains that he is not perfect...

I really cried with the first show this season. Ya know, it is an alcoholic apologizing--like that is want all of us really want from them. I really thought I could watch that show and not be one of those people who was "crying." But I am glad I did cry. It has started to help me heal. I am happy that I do not have to run away anymore.