Notices

Hi I’m new to recovery

Old 12-03-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi I’m new to recovery

I lost my partner of years this past earlier . I was sober at the time. I live in Dallas Fort Worth Texas and have had a hard time staying sober. But, I was able to turn it around and maintain my sobriety. But now being alone and sober is hard. I’m new to the area and I have been kinda depressed so I hadn’t gone to a AA meeting. I don’t have any friends and it’s just been hard to go to a meeting. It kinda feels “good” to be isolated, but I know what that means. I am a gay male who is in my mid 40s and I just honestly does want friends and sobriety and to be able to handle the loss of a partner and maintain my sobriety and not let my addiction win.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sam

I'm sorry for your loss. This is a place of great support - I hope you'll find this community of help

D
Old 12-03-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am with you. It is hard handling sobriety in the face of a loss. I haven't succeeded but going to try again. There is more to lose with drinking.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss. I've lost friends in sobriety, but after the initial mourning, and I mean not soon after, I was able to rebound and get back to a regular life.
And by regular, I mean with a hole in my heart and feeling like a piece of me is missing.
I still feel that way after a few years. Their loss changed me, but I remained sober.
My advice would be to take your time and heal. I know how hard that is, but it's nothing picking up a drink will make better.
Best to you and you have my sympathy. You're not alone.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sam, Welcome, and I'm sorry for your loss.

You can do this!
Old 12-03-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome Sam

I'm sorry for your loss. This is a place of great support - I hope you'll find this community of help

D
I went to a meeting tonight. I hadn’t been to a meeting for some time. I just got home. It was good to go to a meeting. I know I need to get out. Meet people and find friends.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Sam, Welcome, and I'm sorry for your loss.

You can do this!
Yes I can. I didn’t think I could stay sober during a death but it didn’t cross my mind for months. I finally gave in. But I am back and I want my sobriety again. Thank you
Old 12-03-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Thank you this was my first outreach to get out of my solitude. I know I’ll find people to talk to. I won’t find them at the bottom of a bottle
Old 12-03-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wonder

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. I've lost friends in sobriety, but after the initial mourning, and I mean not soon after, I was able to rebound and get back to a regular life.
And by regular, I mean with a hole in my heart and feeling like a piece of me is missing.
I still feel that way after a few years. Their loss changed me, but I remained sober.
My advice would be to take your time and heal. I know how hard that is, but it's nothing picking up a drink will make better.
Best to you and you have my sympathy. You're not alone.
I get mad at him. I get mad that he left me alone. I get mad that he didn’t listen to the advice of the doctors, walk every day for twenty minutes. It will help. Then I realize, there was a time I didn’t listen to doctors and stay sober I didn’t listen to sponsors. He wasn’t a alcoholic. He had to deal with me when I was gone drunk for days. I can’t be mad. I realize today I need to not be angry
Old 12-03-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I lost again

Originally Posted by sickofthiscrap View Post
I am with you. It is hard handling sobriety in the face of a loss. I haven't succeeded but going to try again. There is more to lose with drinking.
When I relapsed recently I did the “yet” I got a DUI, I had never got caught drinking and driving. I woke up in jail, hoping I had not killed anyone. Luckily I didn’t. But I don’t remember driving. I am lucky. Very luck and favored. Today I am thank to be sober.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you with us, Sam. I'm sorry for the painful time you've been through. Instead of comforting us, falling back on drinking just adds to our misery and anxiety. I'm glad we finally realize that. Welcome!
Old 12-03-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can relate. My best buddy wouldn't stop smoking. He also wouldn't walk. He didn't eat.
I'm mad at him. Mad that he left me when he could have lived longer.
I pray for him still.
And I forgot to welcome you to the forums. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Welcome Sam.

Going through a loss like that and maintaining your sobriety is huge. Congratulations.

It's hard to be gay and single in recovery, as so much of the gay social scene revolves around bars...although that seems to be changing.

Hopefully you can find some good GLTBA meetings in DFW. They were very helpful to me in my early sobriety.

Good to get out and around people. Isolation was always my biggest threat as far as relapsing, and I think many of us can say the same.

Keep checking in.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome sam. I'm sorry for your loss. You'll find something much support here it's a great place.