Got a job!

Old 12-03-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got a job!

Well, after almost four years I decided to pick up a job. Nothing special, just 'helping out' a local business in need. It's gets me out of the house more than anything. But it's cutting into my freedom of going fishing and hunting whenever I want...
So about the third day I am looking at the rows and rows of inventory trying to learn what's in stock and where it is so I can help customers when I hear myself thinking, 'too bad I gave up beer', some interesting selections here. I quickly realized the AV is not dead even though it has been on vacation for quite some time. So that thought lasted just a moment. I don't drink so it doesn't matter anymore. The owner said to me at the end of the week, "I was wondering if you would be able to handle working here."
Yep, I work at a beer distributor. Funny as I was a regular customer - I probably put one of their kids through college. I find it an interesting observation that I could be ringing up widgets and it would be no different to me.
So I took this job in order for me get off my butt and give myself motivation to get a "real" job. Still holding out waiting for someone to come knocking on my door. But my four year vacation has gone on long enough. Of course I won't have to ask permission to get myself a new fly rod come spring with all that cash rolling in (a month's salary maybe?)- my collection is about half-way complete.

The weird thing is that I didn't even think about it (surrounding myself with mountains of beer) when I said I would do it. It didn't occur to me at all that I would be tempted. Perhaps one or two seconds of reminiscing and that was it. It's kinda like reminiscing about finger painting in kindergarten. I have no desire to ever finger paint again either.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Lbrain.
Hope it goes well and you can get that fly rod.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations LBrain! I found your post inspirational because I’m sat waiting for a door knock, when I should get off my backside and try alternative employment, which would give me a boost, and perhaps act as a motivational springboard. Roll on next spring, when you can enjoy spending your wage on a new fly rod.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations LB

D
Old 12-03-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

That’s awesome, Lbrain. Are you thinking Sage? Orvis?

Wishing you the best. Tight lines!
Old 12-03-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations, LBrain. So good to see you.

Enjoy your new job.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
That’s awesome, Lbrain. Are you thinking Sage? Orvis?

Wishing you the best. Tight lines!
A Helios 2 would be nice (marked down to half-price of course). Last year I picked up a Hardy Zephrus in 5 - like it a lot. My 3wt is a med/fast action rod. I use it more than any. But a softer 5wt (or 4) for more technical water seems to be my pressing need. Fishing for 3lb trout needing 6x or 7x with the Hardy is a true test.

Hoping to find something used on the net. Plenty of guys out there with 30 rods collecting dust.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Woot!

Good for you!
Old 12-04-2017, 11:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No new fly rod for me but I'm thinking of a new Mystery Ranch backpack...
Old 12-05-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ha MOS... An AT thru hike is on my bucket list - I put it there 35 years ago. And recently it has been hovering near the top of my 'to do' list. Last week I saw a rucksack on sale at a local outlet. Then did some reviews etc. If I was single the AT would already be checked off... I need to get her on some long overnighters so she shuts up about 'wanting to go too'. We wouldn't last a month together on the trail. Maybe not even a week.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Congratulations on getting a job, LBrain!
Old 12-10-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations LB! Well done sir.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Congratulations LB! Well done sir.
Thanks Soa... Not exactly "well done" tho. I heard they had been looking for someone to run the place. I happened by one day and asked if they found anyone. They had been "interviewing people" for almost 3 months... My interview went like this, "Do you still need help?" "Are you interested?" "Yes, I need something to do to get me out of the house." "Let me talk to the 'boss'." 15 minutes later I was asked if I could start on Monday... I truly needed some motivation and to get into a routine that would make me look for a job that paid well and more up my alley. So I'm starting my third week now.

Here's what I learned so far: The amount of beer and malt products now on the market is incredible. Any flavor you can think of you can get in a 'beer' store. They come in all sizes and price range. Someone bought 2 bottles and a six pack of beer last week for $115!
You see the same people day after day. The kids who keep the shelves stocked know what most people get every time they come in. And on the day of the month that many get paid by the gubment, they all show up for their tobacco and beer - and lottery tickets. People buy tobacco by the pound, and many pounds are sold along with rolling papers. The same people spend 100 dollars a week on the lottery. Some more. So I get to see firsthand how three of the evils are just sucking money out of people. It is an interesting study on the spending habits of certain socioeconomic peoples. Of course I live in a somewhat depressed area to begin with. But make no mistake about it, rich or poor, dressed well or slovenly, people spend a lot of their hard earned (some not earned at all) cash on beer (and tobacco). I used to be one of them...

The sad reality is that the "yearly salary" I am making I would have spent almost that much a year on alcohol 4 years ago. At least more than half...
Old 12-17-2017, 01:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I bet your finger painting was great!