Old 12-01-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawals

Has anyone experienced withdrawal?
Have you got any tips to get through??
Old 12-01-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Bronski.

What kind of things are you going through? The first recommendation is always, "If you are worried, go to Urgent Care or your doctor." There are short-term meds to get you safely through that first week.

Withdrawal for me was uncomfortable physically and emotionally. It took me about 4-5 days to feel better and a good three weeks before I slept through the night.

Eat as much healthy food as you can and drink Gatorade or something like it for the electrolyes and sugar. I had candy around for that shakey blood-sugar thing.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks biminiblue

I went to the doctor tonight and they gave me Valium.
It’s horrible
I’m shaky, sweaty and nauseous!! And oh the headache to!!
Old 12-01-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

It depends on a lot of factors.

How much, how long, and how consistently have you been drinking, are there any other substances involved, have you been through withdrawals before, etc. Also everyone is different.

If you're concerned that they may be severe, please see a doctor or go to urgent care/ER.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bronski View Post
Thanks biminiblue

I went to the doctor tonight and they gave me Valium.
It’s horrible
I’m shaky, sweaty and nauseous!! And oh the headache to!!
Yeah, sounds about right. I would say that's a really good reason to quit drinking.

Just never forget how awful this is and you'll never need to go through it again. Try to keep eating and drinking Gatorade, even if it comes back up. Eventually you'll keep something down. Ice cream was my best friend in early days.

Welcome to the sober side. It's worth a few days of discomfort to get well, really it is. It's kind of scary though, right?
Old 12-01-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Bronski

Withdrawal is tough but it's temporary - you'll get through this - support helps too so post as much as you need to

D
Old 12-01-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first week can be rough, hence the valium for short term relief from the anxiety. If you never drink again, you'll never have to go thru this hell again.

Welcome to the family!
Old 12-01-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been through withdrawals and suffered alcoholic hallucinosis, and you have my total sympathy, dear Bronski. It's truly hellish. I did go to a detox facility but was transferred to hospital after having seizures and spent a week there before heading to inpatient rehab for two months. It's excellent that you consulted a doctor; the Valium will help. Keep hydrated with electrolyte fluids like Gatorade. B vitamins and niacin are important since drinking leaches them from your system. As others have said once you get past withdrawals you will never have to feel this way again. Power through and post often. You have a lot of support here and I wish you peace and strength in your sober journey.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My tip is; try to sleep through them

And take a video of yourself when you`re awake (with your phone) ... It helps you remember.

& Yes I have gone though withdrawals too many times.... Every one just gets worse and worse..
Old 12-01-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Originally Posted by Polaroid View Post
My tip is; try to sleep through them

And take a video of yourself when you`re awake (with your phone) ... It helps you remember.

& Yes I have gone though withdrawals too many times.... Every one just gets worse and worse..
I took a video of myself in the hospital. Boy do I look like sh*%. And I told myself to NEVER drink again. The beeps of the machines in the back were an added incentive.