Notices

Day 13..

Old 11-30-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 13..

Today is day 13 for me. I’m super happy I’m still going strong, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about the approaching weekend. Weekends were my drinking days. My husband wants to have a dinner date night tomorrow and I’m lookin forward to it, but I haven’t had a sober date night in as long as I can remember. It will be especially hard since he is still drinking and part of me worries he’ll think I’m boring now. I know how crazy that sounds but it’s how I feel. I think this weekend is going to be a true test for me. I’m trying to mentally prepare.

It’s been making me think a lot about how something so simple like a weekend coming up (which the “average” person is usually excited about) gives me such anxiety. I feel like the weekend days are twice as long when I’m not drinking (if that makes any sense). Well...any prayers are appreciated for this weekend. Thanks everyone 🙏🏼
Old 11-30-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jek, I'm glad you're feeling good and congratulations on Day 13.

I think you are at the point where you are realizing that there is more to recovery than stopping drinking. I had to make lifestyle changes that would support my recovery. Maybe you could think of fun and positive things to do on a weekend that don't revolve around drinking? We do a lot of walking and coffee dates. They go well together. What can you come up with to do this weekend that you would look forward to?
Old 11-30-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My husband still drinks, he doesn't think I am boring at all, he has said how impressed he is with me getting sober (9 weeks now). If we go out then I am now his permanent designated driver!

Weekends were always a big thing for me too, they always revolved around drinking for as long as I can remember. I didn't drink during the day though so I now treat weekends like any other night, but I can now have a bit of a weekend lie in without feeling like cr*p recovering from a hangover.

Do what you can to keep busy. The days will seem longer to start with but I've found over time that I do more & so the weekends are starting to fly by again. (I'm also finding it easier to sit & just be too, you can't be 100% busy....well I can't anyway!)

Go for it!
Old 11-30-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jek - I'm sure your husband married you for a very long list of reasons ...I understand the fear, but I rediscovered the real me in my recovery - and I rediscovered joy happiness and peace.

I don't see how that could be a bad thing to see in someone I loved

D