Notices

Things to Do

Old 11-30-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things to Do

I read the thread about things to do to keep busy etc but wanted to directly ask you all here....

I'm on day 11 and still going strong. I haven't had any real strong cravings yet, but I can feel them on the horizon. I job/walk four miles every day after work and then watch tv or read. It's been great, but can feel the boredom coming.

What else do you guys do to stay busy, specifically during the work week at night? My biggest "at risk" time is 6 PM until I fall asleep during the week.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Congrats on 11 days, that is so great

I like to keep busy hands busy mind. I paint, sew, clean (a lot), purge items to bring to a donation center, I write work out, meal prep, cook, play with my son lots of arts and crafts, read, work, work out, come here often, go to 1 AA meeting a week, find new events around town that I was always too drunk to do or hungover to attend with my son, etc...

Things I want to do in 2018:
Singing lessons
Guitar lessons
Those paint nights with friends
Work out harder
Sell a painting
Build a model of some sort- ship, train, car, etc...
Desing a dress and make it, oh I suppose wear it too

I hope you are able to find something to do to keep busy!
Old 11-30-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love going out at night to do mundane things. Just going to town and shopping/browsing/buying nothing.
I have a pretty structured day. 5:30 wake up, the youngest and I are in the SUV off to daycare by 7, I am sitting in my office by 8am, I work there until 4, sometimes I run a quick errand, pick the kids up, quick supper, one pot meals are my forte - and my crock pot LOL. Then it's dance/hockey/swimming/riding lessons, then I have my own horses to deal with, then I do some at home work and housework, then fall into bed... My drinking was never as much what my husband and I fought about, my time management, that killed us, row after row, because I can't drink and keep up this pace. My mother in one of her true concern moods, reminded me I am getting older and all this is going to catch up with me. LOL, she isn't wrong. I have a consulting/accounting business, I am a sole prop for and 2 corporations I run, one of which is a nonprofit and we do approx. 8 events a month. 35 emails is an average day for me!

However, things I love to do, going out as mentioned above, wandering stores. (We did this Saturday night, as an aside, a great way to run into everyone you know, believe your husband when he tells you, nobody will notice you are not wearing a bra, whether they noticed or not, I met everyone at the mall that night I know!) Book clubs, every library has a book club. Community centres, the one near our house has yoga and gentle fit exercise, they have lunch and learns. Tonight there is a big ladies night out, craft shopping. Usually monthly in a town nearby there is a DIVA night, ladies only, freebies and again, just walk and wander. Some places have sober dances. It took me a long time, but I can finally go to a restaurant by myself and have a coffee, sometimes I take my lap top and work away. Local theatre, there's always a show, local art galleries, depending on them, they change their collections.
I think as alcoholics we isolate ourselves in this private bubble, we keep only people close to us who are not a danger to our way of life, we isolate everyone else and we forget there is this great big, vibrant world going on around us.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I joined a class with structure and discipline, specifically karate. There is a culture in karate of being respectful to your Maestro and also treating the class with respect. If I can not come I am expected to send a message to my Maestro telling him I will not be there. Being late is frowned upon, regular participation is expected. Of course this is real life and he understands is someone is late due to work or childcare issues, gets sick or has a social engagement. But for the most part my presence is expected and I like this little mbit of mental pressure to get me there even when I don't feel like it.
It is a great combination of athleticism and a good work out but also a peaceful experience for the mind.
I really recommend karate to anyone, of any athletic level, but, if it doesn't strike your fancy, why not think about signing up for a class of some sort where you are really expected to attend? Cooking? Group exercise? A language course or computer programming?
Old 11-30-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I play a brass instrument which keeps me very busy, I'm also a huge fan of jigsaw puzzle (I got addicted on jury duty last year!)

Is there something you really fancy giving a try?
Old 11-30-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took an art class at a local community college 2 years ago, which was once a week in the evening. This spring I'm planning on taking the second part of it, and the good thing about that is you're allowed open studio time (they don't trust beginners in the studio unsupervised apparently) so I'll be able to go in during those hours as well. I like being able to immerse myself in my own project but having others around in the space to chat with if I want.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I let a lot of hobbies and interests slide, like music, reading, writing - so picking them back up was a good thing for me

I also did a lot of volunteering in my community - if you can do that, even on the weekends, I recommend it.

I have to add tho - while keeping busy is important, that by itself was never enough to keep me sober. Noone can be active 24/7.

A good recovery plan means finding support and using it, making changes to your life and it needs a strategy for dealing with cravings.

There are some great ideas here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

D