Notices

i Wish I could pray to a God and not be religious

Old 11-29-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I知 listening to a speaker tape. This guys story is so hard. But he is so happy in the joy of this program and his hp. He is of service. I need a sponsor that will help me with some structure and focus. My disease or whatever it is in my head is always trying to half step stuff. I知 afraid of becoming religious. I don稚 have a better way tho.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think we can accept the concept of a higher power and not have it be religious, pressme.
I mean, I have a higher power and I’m not at all religious.
It’s more about accepting that there is something beyond you that you can lean on when necessary, and marvel at.
My higher power is the designs in nature.
The fact that all organisms are adapted to live where they do, to behave in such ways as to thrive and survive.
There is a lot of symmetry in nature that could not possibly have happened by accident.
Some force created it.
Not God to me, because I don’t believe in a supreme deity.
But something greater than me created these natural marvels.
THAT is my higher power.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And there are many prayers out there that are not praying to god.
They are beseachments to the universe.
Check out the poetry of Rumi sometime.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Thank You I find to be a pretty good prayer.......
Old 11-29-2017, 09:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I am not religious, though people often think I am for the strangest reasons sometimes. I use the word God because I can't think of a better word. I like Bill's "Father of light that presides over us all", but it is a bit long.

I had no belief when I started this journey. Agnostic. I became gnostic through my experience with the steps. Gnostic means knowledge through personal experience (no middlemen involved). I started with a willingness to believe - if I got some proof satisfactory to me - and I did. It has grown from there. My God is not the kind that responds to my shopping list of how the world should be. My third step was not about Him complying with my will. Instead He has been a power that helps me handle what is, and shows me what I need to do.

Funny how other people draw conclusions though. A while back I was in a taxi in Kuala Lumpur on my way to a meeting. The Indian driver asked me if I would like to meet any girls. When I declined he said "Are you a Christian?"
Old 11-29-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try and stop the sun from rising or the tide from coming in...

If you can wake up in the morning and accept that you're not the greatest power in the Universe, then I think it's easier to get your head around a Higher Power.

I wasn't really a believer in God when I got sober - but I could believe in a force of Goodness, or Love, or even simply the positive forces here in this SR community.

It was something greater than me, and I really needed that.

D
Old 11-30-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A Person in my Al-Anon meeting once called higher power “a force for good.”
I have always liked that description.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are probably as many different views on this as there are people .
I love going to places of peace ,old churches or cathedrals but I don't get involved in the outdated dogma or rules although I do light some candles for various reasons , usually asking for peace and health for some one . I try to be a good person and if I can help someone I will . This doesn't stop me being a grumpy old fart at times .
Old 11-30-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

my sponsor early on used to tell me:

"In the morning, when you get out of bed, just say 'Please, Help Me'. At night, when you go to bed, just say 'Thank You'. That's all the religion you need to open a relationship with your Higher Power".

I have a deep-running disdain for religion.

I have had direct experience with my Higher Power.

The two are entirely separate concepts.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I believe in God. I don't think I am religious I think of it as a relationship. It can be really simple like that.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

who says ya have to be religious to pray?
seems a fear of becoming religious is a LOT better than fear of continued drinking.
remember, AA is a spiritual program, not religious. it would be impossible for it to be religious when there can be a catholic, christian,jew,buddhist,athiest, muslim,agnostic.....quite a few others...at one meeting.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I just acknowledge that my ego and conscious mind can't control my own life, let alone the rest of the universe, and leave it at that.

It might be that there's a personal external God in the Christian sense, who listens to us when we pray.

It may be that God is everywhere and we are God which we merge with through the process of Enlightenment, in the Buddhist sense, and is more impersonal, yet is still there.

It might be that we have stores of strength within us that we don't connect with consciously, but are there regardless.

It might be that we have a collective unconscious, a la Jung, that has a great deal of power.

It might be that we can tap into internal strength in ways we don't understand, and for want of a better term call it "God" or a "Higher Power" and describe tapping into it as "Faith."

It might be that we are motivated by experiences that happened a long time ago, going back to the womb, and build narratives on those that run us for the rest of our lives, unless we acknowledge and humbly change them.

It may be any number of things that my experience has not lead me to experience, at least not yet.

It may be that there is a unifying force in the Universe that modern physics has not yet been able to discover, name or quantify, which may be accessible to our conscious thought, or not.

It may be that the knowing we experience in states of deep meditation or on psychedelic drugs and other shamanistic practices may be real.

I don't buy the nihilistic view that God is Dead and it's 100% us.

It doesn't matter what "it" is, and I firmly believe that it's not only possible, but a sign of spiritual maturity, to be able to hold some contradictory ideas on the nature of reality, and to surrender to the fact that we can't know everything with certainty.

I guess that's my Higher Power. There's more than my ego, and I have to trust that I can better navigate through life if I acknowledge that sometimes I have to trust the universe rather than my control of it.

I take the Serenity Prayer very seriously, and greatly prefer it to the Lord's Prayer which to me is specific to Christianity. Strength, courage and wisdom are the ideals that I'm trying to live my life by.

I like the multi-model approach to God, or whatever you want to call it.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I go to church most Sundays, but I don't consider myself traditionally religious. I was raised in a religious home and have a better than average understanding of theology, but I am not a Jesus Fish, bible thumping person.

There is scripture etc., in our church, but more than that, there is the minute for mission, where the mission work, that is not even necessarily giving bibles to people is discussed. Our church does a lot at home, we have relief centres, women's resources etc. Most of our churches have food banks we all contribute to. We do joys and concerns, where anyone present can stand up and say something good, or if they have a relative, friend, acquaintance for us to pray for. It's very informal, a good place, with good people.
The point I am trying to make, I do not necessarily think that traditional religious ideals hold up to the simplest of scrutiny, however, there is something beautiful in the coming together of people, in one place, achieving goals as a group, loving our fellow man and that is a power far greater than myself and one I 100% believe in and hope will keep me strong.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Spiritual progress is all needed right
now. Feel love, kindness and compassion
in your heart as you grow and mature
in recovery.

When I say a simple please and thank
You to the heavens then that to me is
a prayer.

I continue to learn and practice praying
each day to help me remain positive,
calm and connected, to my HP -
Higher Power of my own understanding
and Faith.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Gnostic means knowledge through personal experience (no middlemen involved). I started with a willingness to believe - if I got some proof satisfactory to me - and I did. It has grown from there. "
I like that. I too came to the rooms of AA agnostic and only wanted to learn to control my drinking. I had willingness to learn and follow instructions and now I have a HP and a very spiritual life. If I had to define my HP it would be some power/energy that guides me to do the right thing. It's amazing to know that all I have to worry about is following my HP's will. I am not angling, covering up, or trying to get one over on anyone. And I don't worry about anyone doing it to me now. I have no control over anything and my life is amazing now.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Why do people love other people? Why do you guys care about me? Is that God? I知 tired of fighting. Worrying about what people think... I知 sick of my own voice in my head.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why shouldn't we care about you? You're every bit as worthy of support as anyone else

Maybe this is stuff you could talk out with a dr or counsellor Press?
Your self image seems pretty beaten up?

D
Old 12-01-2017, 02:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
Why do people love other people? Why do you guys care about me? Is that God? I’m tired of fighting. Worrying about what people think... I’m sick of my own voice in my head.
Well, I believe that God is a powerful force of love, so yes, I'll go along with that.

The Greeks used the work Koinonia (coin-oh-nia) which is a kind of fellowship love rather that the romantic sprinkles we tend to chase after nowadays. Fellowship and communion. Being united in purpose. Serving each other. Joint participation. I think that's pretty special.

The title of your post made me smile thinking of my past self. Desperate to be able to hand my **** over to God, but also wanting desperately to retain control. Then one day I realised 2 things...

1 - no one has proved or ascertained the true nature of God yet, and I'm unlikely to be the first to do it. Yet so many people find strength in faith, and there is no reason for me not to.

2 - you can't lose what you never had. And my control over things was an illusion.

I started praying in earnest from that moment, and found a peace that I'd never had before.

This list highlights to me which will bring me pain and which will bring me peace...

Self-will versus Gods will...

Self-seeking v. Altruism
Being self-centred v. Being love centred
Dishonesty v. Honesty
Fear v. Faith
Being inconsiderate v. Being considerate
Pride v. Humility
Greed v. Giving and sharing
Lustful thought and behaviour v. Respectful thoughts and behaviour
Anger v. Acceptance
Envy v. Gratitude
Judgement v. Acceptance
Procrastination v. Right action
Gluttony v. Moderation
Impatience v. Patience
Intolerance v. Tolerance
Resentment v. Forgiveness
Hate v. Love and concern for others
Harmful acts v. Good deeds
Self-pity v. Self-forgetfulness
Self-justification v. Humility and truth
Self importance v. Modesty
Self-condemnation v. Self-forgiveness
Suspician and jealousy v. Trust
Doubt v. Faith

I used to hold onto my cynicism like a shield. But I know now that it didn't keep pain out. It kept it in. I made those things on the left my treasures by using my self-will to try to run the show. Not any more.

When answers to my prayers come about my partner tells me those things are just a coincidence. Whatever. All I know is that there tends to be more coincidences when I pray - as long as my prayer is concerned with help rather than being like a wish list.

What you feel you stand to lose by at least trying a heartfelt prayer or plea or a few?

BB
Old 12-01-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
Why do people love other people? Why do you guys care about me? Is that God? I知 tired of fighting. Worrying about what people think... I知 sick of my own voice in my head.

Love is the most beautiful thing in the world. To give and receive it, it's like breathing. I think that's why I found my drinking so crippling. It dulled my feelings. There were reasons I wanted that.
People in general love one another, even if you aren't religious, you love your fellow man, unless you are a sociopath and devoid of feelings. There is good in every single person on the earth and there is something to love in all of them.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think any intelligent human being with a bit of lifetime under their belt
can say theres some higher power and at least acknowledge it.

On the other hand too if youve seen suffering you wonder if hes there at all.

My mums angry at him/her for taking dad. She's said she'd
never forgive god for that.

Ive asked for help and got it and for myself have seen
enough to believe there's something bigger but theres
so much i disagree with in every religion.

So i iam not religious. often prey to "god" though.
not that i have any idea what it is or expect anyone else to.