Anyone else have experience with Kratom?

Old 11-28-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else have experience with Kratom?

First post. So glad I found this site. My husband has been addicted to adderall and pain meds "off and on" for over 10 years. Everything has come to a head and in July he started seeing a therapist, "stopped" using and called it recovery. Well recently apparently he has started using Kratom and his justification for it is that it is "all natural". I called bull ****. Has anyone else dealt with this? Thoughts? I am calling this a relapse, he says I am ridiculous and blowing it out of proportion, even though he has been using it for weeks at least and I only found out yesterday. Thanks guys
Old 11-28-2017, 10:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

It's a relapse. Kratom is a stimulant at low doses and a depressant at high doses, from what I know. It is used as an opium substitute, it has been used as medicine in the past. One doesn't just stop using in July and call it recovery. Recovery is a long process. Please google kratom. From what I've read online, it is addictive.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Cntryfan

there's a fair few threads on Kratom in our Substance Abuse forum.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/

I called bull ****.
I think thats the right call to make.

D
Old 11-29-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is no recovery when you are simply replacing one addiction with another.

So sorry you are going through this.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If Kratom is all natural then so is weed and a bunch of other stuff.
I had an ex-friend who did/does kratom.
Kratom is highly addictive.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is of no help whatsoever, I'm sure. But I too "googled" it and it sounds like a BAD DEAL t'me, Cntryfan.

They're saying the DEA is gonna ban it. So right there's your red flag.

Hope you can get through all this with support of family, friends and these fine folks here. They know what they're talking about! I usually just "read", but I had ta know what Kraton was/is! Fascinating and SCARY AS HELL.

The best of luck, Sweetheart.

ps... sorry, and ya know with the "bath salts" and all this stuff that is perfectly legal, ya know??? It's a scary world. It's a sad world for a lot of us... Hang in there with us here. *hugs*
Old 12-18-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

this is what undid my marriage.. kratom. my husband is an unrecovered alcoholic.. when he semi stopped drinking, he found kratom to take its place... he has now been out of the house for 3 months... he is completely addicted and says the same thing, that it's a "legal herbal supplement." it is an opiate, and people who use it are addicted just like any other opiate addict. i cannot wait for them to ban this stuff.. i believe that will happen soon. at least then, i will have more of a legal leg to stand on in terms of him using it...
Old 12-19-2017, 02:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

Synthetic "cannabis", bath salts, kratom... all "legal". Did you know that they sometimes spray rat poison on the plant matter used to make synthetic pot? None of these things really have analogues in the medical field so they are hard to treat, although the symptoms of synthetics are sometimes similar to amphetamines. And also, they are all very, very addictive. :-(