Notices

What’s the difference...

Old 11-28-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What’s the difference...

I’m new at this Ive been doing a lot of reading to keep my mind busy because the only thing I want to do is drink I keep trying to find a reason that would make it okay to drink still fighting but my question is what is the difference between stop drinking/sober/ recovery

Last edited by Countrylife; 11-28-2017 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Wasn’t finished
Old 11-28-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For me the difference between "not drinking" and "sobriety" is learning to live my life in a new way, and facing/fixing my problems along the way.

If you just stop drinking alcohol but keep doing all the same things you did before, not much changes, right?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Countrylife.
One can be sober, but not in recovery.
Sober means abstaining from alcohol or drugs, but still locked in the thinking that makes you want to drink.

In recovery means you have admitted that you have a problem with drugs or alcohol, you full heartedly want to live a substance free life, and are taking the steps to do.
Those steps can include any or all of these things:
Going to rehab.
Going to AA regularly or working another group recovery program, like SMART, or Refuge Recovery.
Going to therapy to learn ways to cope with everything.
Posting here on SR.
Joining a monthly class here, which supports the newly sober and those trying to be.
A plan that you devise that you think will help you to stay sober.
It’s generally felt that people who work an active recovery plan have a stronger chance of avoiding relapse.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, the difference is huge and without recovery, it would be hard to stay sober. I was a control-freak and that was a big thing I had to learn to deal with. I really needed to deal with underlying issues in order to be happy and at peace in recovery.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had to first STOP DRINKING

So that I could do the work of RECOVERY from all the years of addiction and abuse....

So that I could enter into a space of joyful, abundant, grateful SOBRIETY and live a far better life, free of alcohol.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If I had gotten sober without changing my life, I would have started drinking again. I had to change my attitude and learn a new way of coping with life's ups and downs.

Some people use AA or Smart recovery, or Women for Sobriety, or some other program. Some, like me, did weekly counseling with an addiction counselor. Some of us just use this site to check in and offer advice or suggestions or ask questions.

There's lots of ways to stay sober and rearrange your life for the better. Find what works for you and use it!
Old 11-28-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not drinking is like a slice of the pie; recovery is the whole pie

Stopping drinking was one thing but learning to live sober and be happy with it was a whole other mountain.

D
Old 11-28-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What if you can’t change your lifestyle and have to be around drinking my husband and my family both have alcoholics in them almost every hobby we enjoy has drinking camping bonfires family get together concerts we love four wheeling that’s pretty much our life and a lot of drinking happens....seems like it’s a hopeless fight for me i want to live a happy healthy life without addiction but I know it’s goin to be a roll coaster when it’s always available
Old 11-28-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try not to get overwhelmed by what not drinking means and how it will cause upheaval in your current life.
Fact is, you can continue to do the things you love without drinking.
Doesn’t happen overnight, and it isn’t easy, but I am here to tell you that you can.
It begins with you.
Don’t think about anyone else and how they are going to react.
Think about you,
It starts with going one day without drinking, then another, and so on.
Keep it simple.
Don’t drink.
Today.
Peace.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I watched my dad go through this in his early recovery and only now am I beginning to understand it.
This is my experience.

Whilst drinking alcohol = a drunk angry, miserable, control freak
Abstaining from alcohol = an angry miserable control freak
Active Recovery = not a perfect person but 1 million times better than the first 2.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I concentrated on being sober to start off with,I would have found it very discouraging early on to think I’ll never drink again..it would have been all too much to cope with

As the weeks went into months then I turned my attention more to underlying issues and started a plan to change things - with a massive help from others here with advice

It took a while for me personally to clear my thoughts after quitting and start getting all my soldiers in line - but as each one did then my recovery process started

It’s a long road but a worthwhile road

Good luck :-)
Old 11-29-2017, 02:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Countrylife View Post
What if you can’t change your lifestyle and have to be around drinking my husband and my family both have alcoholics in them almost every hobby we enjoy has drinking camping bonfires family get together concerts we love four wheeling that’s pretty much our life and a lot of drinking happens....seems like it’s a hopeless fight for me i want to live a happy healthy life without addiction but I know it’s goin to be a roll coaster when it’s always available
My husband still drinks (I'm only 9 weeks sober). I concentrate on myself, I don't want to enforce anything on him. He is happy that I've stopped, he doesn't do anything to get me to drink - although he did almost get his glass of red poured over his head when he asked me to pour him a glass!!

I have found it possible to be around others drinking. "Will i drink today?", "no". Everyone else can do what they want.

I do go out more, taken a very busy hobby back up. The rehearsal room is actually above a pub!!

One day at a time.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Respectfully, you CAN change your lifestyle. If you want to be sober no matter what- that has to be YOUR choice- then every other good choice and path in recovery is possible. There are a million reasons why we told ourselves we "couldn't" stop - they involved other people, our jobs, customs in our cities....endless list.

Dee consistently mentions plans (see the thread Why I'm Always Mentioning...) - for me, it is AA and from the beginning I did EVERYTHING I could to start a new life. It is certainly hard when it's a spouse or such who still drinks - and mine is in recovery so that is a wonderful blessing- BUT your choice to get sober and start living a recovered life is always there to make.

Best to you.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dee consistently mentions plans (see the thread Why I'm Always Mentioning...)
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, you certainly CAN change your lifestyle. It won’t be easy though, and you might have some difficult choices to make. I am very lucky in that my spouse is also sober. You may find you will inspire others with your lifestyle change?

I will say that I love camping and could never imagine it without drinking, but it is way better now! We get up early, hike, and actually do outdoor activities and enjoy what nature has to offer where in the past all we did is sit around the fire and drink. I’ve gone to concerts sober too. Actually listened to the music and was able to drive myself home.

As for the difference between not drinking and recovery. Just not drinking won’t help you long term. I had to add things in to my life to help me cope with things I was using alcohol to cope with before. Then I slowly started integrating in hobbies and things that ha fallen by the wayside. It doesn’t happen overnight, but gradually you start building a life you love.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oakleaf82 View Post
Well, you certainly CAN change your lifestyle. It won’t be easy though, and you might have some difficult choices to make. I am very lucky in that my spouse is also sober. You may find you will inspire others with your lifestyle change?

I will say that I love camping and could never imagine it without drinking, but it is way better now! We get up early, hike, and actually do outdoor activities and enjoy what nature has to offer where in the past all we did is sit around the fire and drink. I’ve gone to concerts sober too. Actually listened to the music and was able to drive myself home.

As for the difference between not drinking and recovery. Just not drinking won’t help you long term. I had to add things in to my life to help me cope with things I was using alcohol to cope with before. Then I slowly started integrating in hobbies and things that ha fallen by the wayside. It doesn’t happen overnight, but gradually you start building a life you love.
Agree I use alcohol for stress alcohol help me quit using drugs I’ve stop weed I was bad into snorting and eating pills I’ve tried coke and crack but overcame it all sad to say I’m 28 and 15 years of my life has been about drinking or drugs so I’m not good at handling things sober I guess I need to find ways to cope with stress cause deep down inside I’m ready to be sober but my mind is saying I’m not ready yet unfortunately I broke my day 5 because I got worked up and drinking again
Old 11-29-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I’m sorry that you drank again. Get rid of the booze and give it another try.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

people that dont have a problem with alcohol stop drinking.
people that catch it in time stop drinking,get sober and continue with life.
alcoholics stop drinking, get sober, and get into recovery.

recovery:the action or process of regaining possession or control of something stolen or lost.a return to a normal state of health, mind, or strength.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oakleaf82 View Post
I’m sorry that you drank again. Get rid of the booze and give it another try.
Totally agree with this. Keep at it.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I view drinking/using as self medicating against (something or some things going on with you and/or in your life, can be different for different people). If you stop drinking you remove the medicine which you're using to numb yourself but the underlying problem(s) are still there and therefore you're still probably going to be experiencing the pain you were trying to numb, in one way or another.

Recovery is learning a new way to live your life which addresses the underlying reason(s) you have for using, to help heal the pain so you can get to a point in your life where you either no longer feel the pain, or at the very least you understand what causes it, and don't feel it as strongly and don't regularly feel the need to run away from it any more (ie don't feel the need to self-medicate/use). Different recovery programs and/or therapy have different approaches to this process.