Notices

I feel like a John Prine song...

Old 11-28-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel like a John Prine song...

“I get drunk most every night...”

Today I came to the realization that I have a problem and this isn’t a game. I can’t just test out sobriety as if I am somehow a spectator without a real disease.

So...I joined a gym, logged back on here, and quit drinking. I am determined to truly quit and not just cut down. If I can’t stop this time I’m going to go get help because my drinking is “just” at 6 drinks a day and I can feel the drive getting worse. This version of me sucks and it died yesterday (well, it started dying Sunday with 2 drinks, died more yesterday with 1 and is being buried today with 0).

Glad to be back...
Old 11-28-2017, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're motivated to make this work.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Ron - I think you've made a good choice to quit for good. In a sense you are already getting help by coming here...but seeking other help locally if you need it is a great idea too. I would say don't wait til "next time" either...make this time work and you'll be happy you did!
Old 11-28-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

well.....

In spite of ourselves....

We can still end up sittin' on a rainbow.

SOBRIETY
Old 11-28-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Ron - man I can relate! Like REK sings "It feels good to be feeling good again"... Right? I've been a John Prine fan for a long time myself. "In Spite of Ourselves" was the first song at my 2nd wedding

"He ain't too sharp but he gets things done
Drinks his beer like it's oxygen"

That was me except you can add in whisky, rum, and tequila. It was a lot of fun until it quit being fun. But I gave all that up almost a year ago. I get a 1 year chip at the end of December. Best of luck fellow Prine lover. Keep coming back.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by John3634 View Post
Hi Ron - man I can relate! Like REK sings "It feels good to be feeling good again"... Right? I've been a John Prine fan for a long time myself. "In Spite of Ourselves" was the first song at my 2nd wedding

"He ain't too sharp but he gets things done
Drinks his beer like it's oxygen"

That was me except you can add in whisky, rum, and tequila. It was a lot of fun until it quit being fun. But I gave all that up almost a year ago. I get a 1 year chip at the end of December. Best of luck fellow Prine lover. Keep coming back.
REK and JP quoted on one thread? That level of cool in one place just might break the internet
Old 11-28-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Ron

If I can’t stop this time I’m going to go get help because my drinking is “just” at 6 drinks a day and I can feel the drive getting worse
thought about making a recovery action plan?
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D