Notices

That New New

Old 11-27-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That New New

Hey everyone -

New here. Been a heavy drinker (weekend binge drinker) for about 20 years and got real bad within the last 5...and as I type this, I don't think I've gone more than one day without drinking in the last year. I wake up from my sleep terrified of the damage I'm doing physically to my body and the whole life experience I'm missing out on. That I've already missed out on. But it doesn't seem to stop me from my compulsive habit of pouring just one more...

I don't want to sacrifice the rest of my future. So I'm here. Thinking about sobriety and how far away that feels from my real life but wondering what it would be like if I could do it - if that sober living person could be me.

May check in here and there. Tried an online group about 4 years ago but it didn't stick. Maybe today's the day.

Thanks for being here.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you're here Dizzybee.

I really hope you decide to make this your rock bottom and tomorrow your Day 1. There will never come a day that the compulsion isn't there. We just have to want sobriety, recovery and a new life enough to lean into the discomfort of going against our compulsions. It is simple, but not easy. That is why people here talk about recovery plans, and many of us (me included) use AA or Smart or similar to support us in our recovery journeys.

Sobriety is the first step, and we get that on day 1. But recovery is important if that sobriety is going to be bearable, sustainable, and one day preferable to drinking.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.

BB
Old 11-27-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome..A lot of great people here who know what you're going through.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Keep coming back.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!! Have you tried outpatient rehab? So nice to get group support.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us and I know you will find lots of support here.

You can be the person you want to be.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Glad you're here Dizzybee.

I really hope you decide to make this your rock bottom and tomorrow your Day 1. There will never come a day that the compulsion isn't there. We just have to want sobriety, recovery and a new life enough to lean into the discomfort of going against our compulsions. It is simple, but not easy. That is why people here talk about recovery plans, and many of us (me included) use AA or Smart or similar to support us in our recovery journeys.

Sobriety is the first step, and we get that on day 1. But recovery is important if that sobriety is going to be bearable, sustainable, and one day preferable to drinking.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.

BB
(First time replying so hope I'm doing this right!)

BB I agree that it will take much digging in to establish my own walk of recovery. I've already been so very contemplative, soul searching, reflecting on how messed up my own thinking gets bc I'm always drinking..I think I'm somewhere in the messy part of figuring out what's wrong so I can figure out what I need to do to get right.

Thanks for commenting.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
Welcome!! Have you tried outpatient rehab? So nice to get group support.
I have not. I don't think it's something that's available to me though I'm sure there are some benefits. Hoping to get some support vibes on here! Thanks!
Old 11-27-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so glad you joined us, dizzybee. I didn't see how an online forum could help me - but 10 yrs. ago I signed on here & I've never left. I didn't quit right away, but the encouragement I found at SR gave me the courage to change my life. I hope you stay.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Welcome dizzybee. You are in the right place for loads of valuable information and lots of support. Don't be afraid to post (you are doing great) and read all over the forum. I found reading about the real experiences of others a great help in making me understand that I am not the only person who has these urges/feelings/incidents. I've drank for a long time like you and so have others here. Sending good vibes to you
Old 11-27-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. I still can't believe I've accumulated so many years of drinking. Today is the first time I saw it in writing.

I'm doing a ton of reading on the site. All so very helpful. I want to keep checking in. Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard dizzybee

I used to dream of a mythical day when I would not drink.

I have over ten years of those days now

SR helped me turn my life around.
I know we can help you too
Old 11-28-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are all so kind. I'm still thinking a lot and trying to soak it all in. Some of the stuff I've read about detoxing scared me. I'm thinking I should try weaning based on what I'm learning. Still trying to come up with a plan. Happy to hear so many of you found your way and that this site gave you much needed support.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're worried about withdrawal see a Dr first. That covers all the bases - it's the safest way.

If they recommend tapering, make sure you get some kind of guidelines from them on what to do/

D