Notices

Didn’t even make it the day

Old 11-27-2017, 12:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Didn’t even make it the day

Didn’t make it through my day one. Feel like a big loser. Maybe I’ll have what it takes tomorrow. I hate that I didn’t have the will power today.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi.

You know, this isn't about will power. That approach just ends up in a battle against ourselves. And the addict part tends to win out eventually.

Its more about acceptance and willingNESS. Acceptance that it's the first drink that does the damage and that we cannot, no matter what we alter to try to manipulate the situation, drink like 'normal' people. Our off switch is faulty. Mine even worked occasionally, but I couldn't ever rely on it.

The willingNESS part is about sitting with our feelings and making the decision not to listen to the inner voice that talks us that for whatever reason that first drink is necessary / a good idea / deserved / justified. Alcohol is a rubbish solution to ANY problem. It just makes things worse.

Why not hit an AA meeting today? You don't have to do this alone.

BB
Old 11-27-2017, 01:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’ve never been to an AA meeting. I think I’ve given up thinking I can do it alone- will look into tomorrow. I think there are some outpatient programs here that my insurance will cover as well. Is that something anyone has experience with?
Old 11-27-2017, 01:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why not try AA first? It's free for a start off, plus there is no need to wait or apply. Yiu can just turn up to any meeying you like. It is the originator of the 12-step program that lots of the outpatient and inpatient rehabs have adopted. I reckon there's likely to be a meeting that you can get to today if you're willing.

BB
Old 11-27-2017, 02:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Julia

the first port of call for most of us is to 'try harder' and often unfortunately thats simply not enough.

We have to look at our approach, how much support we have, and how many changes we're making.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 11-27-2017, 02:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mr

Hey Julia.
Never give up.
Why wait till tomorrow. Throw away the booze and hop back into the drivers seat. Will power alone might help you through a few days or months but getting sober and staying sober are different subjects.
Feeling like a loser is not going to get you or keep you sober (sorry)

Take care,
Vinny.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thinking back on all the 'maybe tomorrow's', I sometimes chuckle. I sometimes feel a little sad at the 'what if's'.

But, ultimately, all the 'maybe tomorrow's' were what I needed to get - finally - to the TODAY, NOW.

I hope TODAY is your TODAY, Julia.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is exactly what Ive been like.. as soon as it gets near the evening I think about going to the shop for wine. It's like 'this is what i always do so I must do it' Even though I don't want to and I feel so much better when I don't. It's like repeatedly punching myself in the face, thats how irrational and ridiculous it is. I don't want to drink so why do I keep doing it?
Old 11-27-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Hi.

You know, this isn't about will power. That approach just ends up in a battle against ourselves. And the addict part tends to win out eventually.

BB
amen to that! willpower to not drink was non existent for me. even when i didnt want to drink, i coudnt not drink. alcoholism was much stronger than my willpower
Old 11-27-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lots of wisdom here Julia .

Just wanted to add my support .

You can do this .
Old 11-27-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the words of advice guys. I said tomorrow because it was 1 in the morning where I am and I was in bed. It means a lot to me to feel supported by people who have been in this place I’m in now. I can imagine it’s frustrating to people at times. I’m going to wait to post again until I’ve at least had a few days sober. I’m going to an AA meeting tonight. Thanks again to everyone for the support.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi juliaclare. Please don't feel that you shouldn't post until you're sober. I was still drinking when I first came here - I knew what I had to do, but needed to gather up the courage & strength. Reading & posting was the encouragement I needed.

It's a good idea to go to the meeting - let us know how it goes. You're never alone.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've had many relapses and too many failed day 1's to possibly even count.

Don't give up. You will do this😁

Good luck to you.

-Kate
Old 11-27-2017, 09:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well I hope you decide to keep reading and posting JC. And I agree the meeting sounds like a good plan.

BB