Notices

Not sure if this was an attack of the DTs or not...

Old 11-24-2017, 10:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure if this was an attack of the DTs or not...

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have been drinking between 2-4 bottles of red wine a day for about 2 years now, maybe longer.

I literally decided enough was enough and that I would try giving up (again) via was a fast taper schedule - In hindsight I am thinking that the taper was far too much of a drop as I just had one of the most terrifying moments of my life:

I have gone from having 4 beers a night on days 1 and 2, to 2 on day 3 (now) - Have not slept a wink for the last 3 days as I am very familiar with tapering as have tried and failed many times - just got frustrated and decided I have to do an aggressive taper.

Was just lying in bed trying to sleep and I began hearing the most bizzare thing - it was literally as though every single voice I have ever heard would be talking in a kind of scrambled chaotic manner which was growing in inensity - ended up saying something about it but I knew there was noone else there - ended up have to jump out of bed and I had some spots of orange hallucination dotted around - turned the light on to see my face in abject terror in the mirror.

I knew about the DTs but had no idea they could be anything like this - I thought you would have to progress through other milder withdrawel symptoms before DTs came in?
Old 11-24-2017, 10:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Koncept

None of us are doctors here but I'd put hallucinations (auditory or visual) right up there as a reason to seek medical help.

You seem pretty coherent tho...I guess it's the middle of the night there?

D
Old 11-25-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It could be from lack of sleep combined with detox. Go to a doctor. Like I've said in other threads they can't force you to go anywhere. The only way they can is if you are a danger to yourself or others due to a mental health issue p. (Ex: Suicidal). Most detox places only last 5 days on average. Get checked out.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you going Koncept?.

D
Old 11-25-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Dee74 and ilovepi

Yeah I'm thinking a trip to A&E might be an idea as was stumbling round totally disorientated today

Yes I also thought sleep dep could be a factor but this is nothing like I've had before and have gone for longer without sleep many times in the past

It seems that returning to a closer consumption to my initial baseline has resolved the problem but this is not ideal
Old 11-25-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Withdrawals are unpredictable and that's why it's a good idea to talk to your dr. And, I think you are finding the difficulty in tapering. It's really hard to do successfully. Don't hesitate to get medical help.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I'm thinking a trip to A&E might be an idea as was stumbling round totally disorientated today
yeah, best be safe Koncept. Let us know how you get on.

D
Old 11-25-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Agree, get medical suport and supervision, they can give you meds tp minimize DT risks and monitor you.i spent 4 days in hospital after a bad binge and was very glad I did. They gave me ivs for dehydration and meds for anxiety and it really helped my recovery. On day 29 now.

Hang in there,every day sober is a step toward a better life!
Old 11-25-2017, 10:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi , sorry you felt so bad . I used to get a tune or an object stuck in my head for hours while coming off the drink ,didn't know if I was asleep or not , scary stuff .
If you having to go back to your regular intake to feel decent I would consider professional help .
Wishing you well .