Notices

Bought a homeless guy a beer..

Old 11-24-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bought a homeless guy a beer..

Been a bit of a hectic morning and I haven't really had time to 'think' until now. I stopped by the store late this morning to grab some 'supplies' for the weekend,so I can just hang around and be lazy. There was a very dirty,obviously homeless, guy about my age outside asking for "spare change". I had zero cash on me and was driving my project truck,so no change in it either,all I had was bank cards. I told him I had "no cash,but what are you trying to buy?"..Of course he was quiet with his answer/didn't say anything, so I asked "A beer?" and his eyes lit up! I bought him a tallboy Miller(His request). $2.09(US)+tax but,now I'm conflicted about doing that. On one hand; I give homeless people cash all the time and do not care what they spend it on. Once it leaves my hand it's theirs to use as they see fit. On the other; I physically handed this obviously struggling soul a big can of beer and it makes it a little more 'real' to me as to what/where the money goes.. Just another rambling on, of random thoughts from me. Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 11-24-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It is good of you that you give homeless people some money. I know someone on SR that makes really nice sandwiches and gives them to the homeless which is a good idea.

I expect some of those homeless are homeless because of drug and alcohol issues and some would like to drink or use to escape for a while.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

But you only gave him one....once he drank that....it'd be torture trying to find the rest.
I gave a guy a sealed packet of roll up tobacco. The gratitude was huge, but he could use and sell the rest and do something with the money.
It's easy to walk past guys like this, it's easy to think they're faking it.....usually they're not. Just a little from you can make a huge difference to their day. It's
not just the money either.....it's the fact you saw them as another person and helped, instead of an ugly object in the street.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
It is good of you that you give homeless people some money. I know someone on SR that makes really nice sandwiches and gives them to the homeless which is a good idea.

I expect some of those homeless are homeless because of drug and alcohol issues and some would like to drink or use to escape for a while.
That's always been my outlook on giving them money. My friends and business partners have questioned me in the past about;"You know they're just going to buy booze/drugs,right?". My response is that if I was homeless,sleeping on the streets in the elements with no hope...Yeah..I might 'want to escape'. I know where addiction leads,but...I hope he enjoyed his beer and it didn't cause him or anyone any harm. Guess that's where I'm going to file this 'today's thought' at.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
But you only gave him one....once he drank that....it'd be torture trying to find the rest.
I gave a guy a sealed packet of roll up tobacco. The gratitude was huge, but he could use and sell the rest and do something with the money.
It's easy to walk past guys like this, it's easy to think they're faking it.....usually they're not. Just a little from you can make a huge difference to their day. It's
not just the money either.....it's the fact you saw them as another person and helped, instead of an ugly object in the street.
When I went out of town for business early last month was the 2nd hardest few days since I stopped (11'ish months,now). I hung to this site for dear life! Worked out 2 times a day,but walking by that packed ,lively bar,live music,beautiful women...FOOTBALL games!! Damn that was hard looking back! I came here,gym,AA meetings AND church. I hadn't been to a church in probably 22yrs. The preacher told this story that night: https://www.godvine.com/read/homeless-pastor--557.html Whether that's a true story or a folktail i have no clue,but...that's how I've always treated everyone around me,almost to a fault, how I would want to be treated. When I got my 1st 'good job' my direct bosses kissed my ass because I was "juiced in". I thanked a boss one night for being so helpful/understanding and he replied "You never know which position you'll find yourself in,in life. Today I'm your boss. Next year you could be mine,so I'm only treating you as I would want to be treated." Really stuck with me throughout the years and had a huge effect on how I operate my ventures./end ramble...ramble..
Old 11-24-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

In Newport, RI, one evening, I saw two sailors pouring liquor down the throat of a homeless man from a flask. Literally, holding the mans head up and mouth open and pouring it down his throat. Thankfully, a police officer came buy just at that moment.

When I see homeless man and women, I will stop and buy them a sandwich and a cup of coffee or direct the to our local ministry where they can shower and wash their clothes for free.

I hope that on those occasions when my alcoholic/addict stepson is homeless, someone would feed him...not buy him a beer.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow - interesting share. I don't think I'd ever buy someone alcohol....and I quit giving money a long time ago. Sometimes, depending on the situation, I have bought (one time, offered a fresh pizza walked straight out of the store) food. I became jaded living in a medium size town with a huge homeless problem, and particularly the same people with the same story/act in one stretch of downtown that's very touristy....it looks really different if you're a resident.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah.....well, there is the story of the beach full of stranded starfish. Guy picks up one and throws it back into the sea. "What's the point?' his companion asks.
"Sure made a difference for that one" he answers.

You can't fix everything. But maybe make one day go a bit easier for another.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Wow - interesting share. I don't think I'd ever buy someone alcohol....and I quit giving money a long time ago. Sometimes, depending on the situation, I have bought (one time, offered a fresh pizza walked straight out of the store) food. I became jaded living in a medium size town with a huge homeless problem, and particularly the same people with the same story/act in one stretch of downtown that's very touristy....it looks really different if you're a resident.
My city's homeless rate is insane! Huge tourist town as well. Since my breakup, I moved into one of my rental homes on a less than desirable side of town. Not bad,but a few miles away from bad? If that makes sense? Have a few offers on another place on 'my side' of town that hopefully gets accepted soon. Would like to be out of here after new years,spring at the latest and get it re-rented. Really hoping my daughter just takes it over as an investment,as it's very close to her job. Couple roommates and she'd have a paid off house before she's 35.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've done it a couple of times. On one hand, I feel like I'm taking 15 minutes off of the person's life. On the other hand, I've gone through some horrid withdrawl symptoms. At least I had shelter with a locking door and a bed.

There's just certain situations that hit a nerve with me.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've given homeless folks food before. Or offered to buy it for them. Most often, it's refused. I find a pretty significant lot of them are angling for money for drugs or alcohol.

While I understand their lot and the need to get their DOC in them - I won't be a part of enabling that and continuing it.

Just my opinion, but I don't think buying homeless folks alcohol is a gesture of goodwill.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Abraham Lincoln never judged anyone, when they caught the deserters and wanted to punish them he said “no, had I been in their shoes, I may have done the same thing”
DontRemember, it may not seem right to others, but you did what you thought was right at the time, kindness is more effective than condemnation.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You probably made the guy feel human for the first time in a while so I’d say it was worth it.

I try not to judge because frankly there but for the grace of God go I. So many rough sleepers have mental health issues and most round our way have been in and out of care since they were children. What separates me from them is nothing more than a couple of lucky breaks in life.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Unfortunately the homeless situation is also very bad in my borough, people with mental health problems, ex-military, ex-offenders and of course people with drug and alcohol addiction. Being the real world many of these are overlapping groups that would make for a complex Venn diagram.

Apart from one time a number of years ago when I was trying to quit, bought a bottle of scotch, changed my mind and gave it to a group of guys where at least it would have been shared, I have not purchased alcohol since but I'm sure giving money may have meant the same thing however ON BALANCE I would rather treat the person as human and an adult.
I do not believe any response is perfect although I guess a donation to a homeless charity would be it.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I met a guy once who was a homeless crackhead for a time. He was sitting on the beach once with a crack pipe in his mouth and a cop came up to him and told him that if he hit that pipe the cop was going to shoot him.

He took the hit. Cop got called away on an emergency before anything could happen.

A few days later a woman gave him money and an address. He bought some drugs and then went to the address.

It was an NA meeting.

He's now the secretary of my local meeting, has a sweet house in a nice neighborhood, and drives a Jag.

A tiny gesture can change a life.

The homeless are people too. Even though I see them constantly I try and speak to them when I can. Just that little bit of human contact can make a huge difference. Most people look through them and pretend they're not there.

There's a guy that sleeps on the sidewalk near the train station, I've seen him a few times now. I've been wondering if I should give him money. Basically I kinda think that it's not for me to decide how they spend any money that they get, but I wonder how I might be more helpful than letting them buy their next beer or hit. I need to buy some cheap but warm blankets, I know someone that keeps them in her car in case somebody needs one. It's a good idea. He'll get the first one.

Maybe he's my starfish.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Soooooo...the same guy was there again today. I go in and get my stuff and when I come out he asks me "did you get me a can?". I looked at him like he had two heads and said "not today,man". I did give him some change out of my car though..probably $2. I might offer to buy him a nice lunch/dinner if he'll attend a meeting with me...is that wrong to do? I know it's not my place and you can't force/bribe someone to get/want to be sober,but just a thought I had on the way home. Thoughts?? He seems like a cool guy..just lost in addiction.

Edit: I was in another car of mine and he still knew who I was. He even asked how many cars I have.. I told him I was an alcoholic in recovery and without the recovery I'd have no cars. I talked to him for about 15min about my recovery and he was in and out the whole time. I think a lot of the homeless in my area are smoking that "spice" crap that fries your brain. He was staring at the sky when I pulled off.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Some good posts here. Hard to offer advice without seeing what your seeing DR but I don't think it would do any harm to suggest lunch/meeting.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Some good posts here. Hard to offer advice without seeing what your seeing DR but I don't think it would do any harm to suggest lunch/meeting.
Next time I see him I'll offer. He was still wearing the same clothes from when I made this thread and looked like he hadn't showered since either. We have a shower at my AA place for people like him. I'll give him some new clothes. ..IF he'll go. Either way, I'll give him some clothes next weekend with winter being here and all.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You're a good man DontRemember.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think inviting him to a meeting sounds like a really nice idea. I think a lot of people in tough situations really appreciate company and having people treat them as human, remembering that is is not only basic needs that matter in order to feel good and worthy.
I think I have mentioned the group of refugees I have befriended and try to help. I do things like buy them food, take them clothes, buy diapers and toys for the kids, flu shots, things like that. But I know what they appear to appreciate the most is the time and companionship I put in. I go with them to help interpret at important appointments with the lawyers who we have found to help them with their asylum application, at the local government offices to get their paperwork straight, at the hospital when they were giving birth, I have attended birthday parties and baptisms.
I helped fix up their home which they were much appreciative of. When my mom sent over some money to help with supplies we went on a shopping spree at Ikea, I encouraged the lady of the house to get some "frivolous" stuff to treat herself- a throw pillow, a couple of picture frames, a candle. She had a really hard time making that decision to spend some of her money that way but was really happy when she got home and had something "non-essential" to just enjoy for the sake of enjoying of it.
the most special things we have spent together have just been hanging out like normal people. I took one of the ladies and her baby to my beach club for the day. She loved it! She of course had seen the mediterranean, on her tragic and horrific voyage over (I'll spare you the details, but trust me...) but her baby had not and we had a wonderful day playing in the sea and the pool, having lunch on the beach, etc. Another time me and a friend bought all the ladies in the group tickets to see Mary J. Blige and Erykah Badu and a local summer music festival. We had a girls night out and had a blast!
All of this to say, people definitely need to have their essential needs met first, but sometimes, just doing something splurge-like and special, particularly when it involves giving your time to spend time with them, is really what touches people and lifts their spirits.
I think offering to take him to a meeting and then treating him to a lunch would be a fabulous idea. But even if he won't go to a meeting, if you really feel touched by him, an offer for a decent meal, in a restaurant, treated like a human being, would be a very nice offer.