We found him dead yesterday

Old 11-24-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

We found him dead yesterday

You know when you are angry at your A and you tell him that you have to leave because you don't want to wake up and find him dead or you warn him that he's going to end up alone and dead on the couch if he doesn't quit? Well, it happened. For the first time, I'm ashamed that I was right and that I said that to him. He died with an empty gallon bottle of tequila right next to him....with his first love.

I'm so heartbroken and sad and scared right now. This wasn't the ending I was hoping for. I had that small sliver of hope that my leaving would be his bottom....I was the last person to stick it out with him and I thought that he would wake up and decide that he didn't want to live without me. That he would get treatment and we could work it out somehow. Beneath all the anger and resentment I had for him, I still loved him. I've loved him since I was 13 years old.

I am angry because that bottle was what he loved most and it killed him. He let it kill him. Why weren't me and the kids worth changing for? It shattered me to see the kids crying over him yesterday. Why didn't our love get through?

I guess I'm not done crying over him.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Becki I am so terribly sorry for your loss. If anything, this says everything about just how powerful addiction is, and not one thing about you and your children's worth.

Sending you lots of hugs, strength, and courage.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Becki, I am so very very sorry and my heart hurts for you.

It is not your fault, addiction to drugs/alcohol is just stronger than our love sometimes and most addicts don't face the fact that death awaits them if they don't stop. It is that denial that kills them, not your or my decisions to let go.

He was the real person beneath the alcohol, the loving person you used to know who just got lost and couldn't find his way back.

Remember the good person, let the sick person he became go and know that he suffers no more.

My prayers and condolences go out to you today.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Becki for your loss and for your childrens' loss.

You were doing what you could to try to get through to him, but he was too far gone. He was on his own path. How tragic and senseless.

I think with any death there comes a small amount of, "What if..." It's just the way it goes, regardless of the situation.

I pray for strength and peace for all of you.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So so sorry for your loss and your pain at this awful time. Your feelings are entirely normal and I hope you find peace soon. Heartbreaking that it ended this way for you and your children. It seems so hard to comprehend their choices that lead to this. Thinking of you
Old 11-24-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very sorry for your loss, Becki.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very sorry for your loss.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Very sorry for your loss Becki. You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, in fact you should be applauded for everything you did do. There is nothing you or anyone else could have done to change the eventual outcome.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Im so very sorry for your loss.
This disease takes so many.

My sincere sympathies to you and your children.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Becki
When I was drinking, nothing my spouse said or did was going to stop me.
It was always up to me.

When my mother was drinking, I always thought that I could do something
to make her see, to want to change and go back to the wonderful person
she was before the addiction, but it never happened.

I think looking back I realize how much the addiction had taken over my life
and that those around me were not at all the cause or solution,
but the long-suffering casualties of a terrible internal war they could not help me fight.

Wishing you peace and healing
Old 11-24-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So very sad - i’m sorry for your loss and the pain you are your children endure.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am just so sorry, Becki

This disorder of addiction can be so unforgiving...so brutal. I'm so sorry this man that you love could not find a path out of his misery.

You, your children, and all who loved him will be in my prayers.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am so sorry.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am so sorry for your loss and my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your children.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I am so sorry for your loss. I am praying that you and your children will have strength to carry on after such a terrible experience. My heart goes out to you and your family.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is heartbreaking, I am so very sorry this happened.

*Tender Hugs*
Old 11-24-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Becki67 View Post
You know when you are angry at your A and you tell him that you have to leave because you don't want to wake up and find him dead or you warn him that he's going to end up alone and dead on the couch if he doesn't quit? Well, it happened. For the first time, I'm ashamed that I was right and that I said that to him. He died with an empty gallon bottle of tequila right next to him....with his first love.

I'm so heartbroken and sad and scared right now. This wasn't the ending I was hoping for. I had that small sliver of hope that my leaving would be his bottom....I was the last person to stick it out with him and I thought that he would wake up and decide that he didn't want to live without me. That he would get treatment and we could work it out somehow. Beneath all the anger and resentment I had for him, I still loved him. I've loved him since I was 13 years old.

I am angry because that bottle was what he loved most and it killed him. He let it kill him. Why weren't me and the kids worth changing for? It shattered me to see the kids crying over him yesterday. Why didn't our love get through?

I guess I'm not done crying over him.
I am so incredibly sorry Becki. My fingers are numb, I don't know what else to write besides I am suffering with you.

You will be in my prayers.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

Becki, I absolutely fear the day that this happens to my (stbx)AH. Fortunately he might hate me enough to keep going in life. I don't think that there is much more you could have done. By the time friends and families decide to establish boundaries, this sort of thing would have happened no matter if you stayed or left. I'm so sorry that this has happened, I pray that you find peace.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Becki

I am very sorry this happened. My heart became very heavy as I read your post. All so very sad & overwhelming.

I wish peace for both you & your children.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am just so very sorry. Please know that we are all thinking of you at this time and you are not alone. Lots and lots of love coming your way