Notices

Day 28, Heading home nervous

Old 11-24-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Day 28, Heading home nervous

On Day 28, heading back to the opposite coast after a great Thanksgiving with my family, with no alcolohol and no thought of it. Now the more challenging part begins and I must admit it scares me. I’m going back to my job and my apartment alone on the opposite side of the country. Being under the wing of my family is very comforting for me, and part of me wanted to stay, though that would cost me a job that is a very good fit for me. Plus I am 50 and like I need to cope with life on life’s terms and walk my own path rather than live a sheltered existence with family.

I have a plan, now I need to execute because what I did before didn’t work. I will arrive in time for a meeting tonight, I am meeting with an addiction counselor next week and have a Dr appointment. I also have a daily routine to execute. Please wish me luck, I am going to need support.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We are here, Pinnacle! Your plans sound good. Especially checking immediately with a meeting. Awesome. Do it and please report back here. Your SR community wants to know how you are doing, and to support you!

You’ve got this.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pinnacle, Day 28 is great! And, good for you for getting through Thanksgiving and having a wonderful holiday. It sounds like you are prepared to make this work, and remember that there is always support here.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving.

We all suffer with some let-down after any holiday. It's part of the Human Condition. You'll do great - keep positive thoughts in and negative thoughts out. It's a choice.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all, Day 28 feels great, I just need to remember that any anxieties or fears are my AV in disguise trying to scare me into drinking. I have a supportive family, a good job,a warm roof over my head,plenty to eat, good friends and a community of fellow alcoholics I can reach out to.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

28 days is very good, Pinnacle - truly.

Sounds like you have some good plans/tools in place. Keep them front and center and make modifications, as necessary.

Remember to keep SR in your sober toolbox.

We understand and we care.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

great going pinnacle

D
Old 11-24-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Made it home from the airport after a long travel day! Ate a roast chicken dinner and am feeling tired but content. Will post an update tomorrow
Old 11-25-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinnacleOR View Post
Thanks all, Day 28 feels great, I just need to remember that any anxieties or fears are my AV in disguise trying to scare me into drinking. I have a supportive family, a good job,a warm roof over my head,plenty to eat, good friends and a community of fellow alcoholics I can reach out to.
This post alone shows the many things you have to be thankful for! Congratulations on 28 days, looking forward to hearing how things continue to go.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I got home very jet lagged last night and didn’t make it to a meeting, BUT I did call the AA office and asked to connect with someone local. Had a good convo on the phone and got tips on meetings. Went to bed early and got up at 6am today, super productive day! Got the apartment cleaned, laundry done, food stocked.

Emotions were up and down. Had to walk by the huge wine section at the store (impossible to avoid where I shop) and I got that rush...”it’s cold and rainy out, there’s football on, wouldn’t a bottle of wine hit the spot” but I called BS on it. And the urge was gone in 5 minutes. Hitting up a meeting tomorrow to celebrate Day 30.