Notices

Reaching out

Old 11-24-2017, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reaching out

Hi guys so I just dropped my husband off at the airport n while things r going great I’m staying positive n working the program on which I know is my saving grace a part of me is anxious that I had s thought “ oh he isn’t here I’m home alone no one will know if I drink” it past cause I played the tape through n know that’s s terrible idea but it scared me thst it just popped into my mind. I was wondering if snyone else can relate n what they do? I’ve filled my week with plans to meet for coffee with friends go to meetings n also see my therapist it’s in the moments I’m slone I’m abit anxious
Old 11-24-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I was pretty early in recovery, less than a year, and was driving somewhere with the mrs. when she said she was thinking about going to Phily for a weekend to see her oldest son. Almost instantaneously I thought, "I can drink."

I didn't. It was just a thought, a reaction that I didn't act on. That's what alcohol has done to our neural pathways. We are going to have addictive thoughts. Recovery is not acting on them.

Stay strong.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you that was extremely helpful. I like knowing why it is that these thoughts may come. Thank you for taking the time to respond
Old 11-24-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have that thought at times, too.
It’s old thinking.
Hang in there.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand completely. I drank alone, hiding it as much as possible, and my husband travelled quite a bit, so it was a huge trigger when he went away. I pampered myself a bit and rented movies I wanted to watch and bought some lovely bath products. You can do this, and you will be able to break that connection.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

I can relate. After being with my family for three weeks I’m heading home to my apartment on the other side of the country where I live alone. On the plane ride I had a thought about drinking - sort of an excitement rush mixed with raw fear, very emotional. But it passed in about 5 seconds....Day 28 today.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Mielz?

D
Old 11-24-2017, 10:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm guessing its normal... Anytime I know I'll be alone (right now is one of those times) the thought crosses my mind (It crossed mine about an hour ago)... "I'll be able to go get vodka and no one can stop me." And then I play the tape forward... which, for me, ends with me in the hospital. I just try to distract myself... SR is my number one go-to these days😁
Old 11-25-2017, 12:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That tape played thru my head today. I missed my Antabuse dose and knew I wouldn’t die if I drank. I start looking around at where I can duck into. I think about who I’ll lie to. Then I think about telling everyone here the truth. Ugh. I don’t wanna start over. It’s so hard.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hows it going Mielz?

D
I’m doing ok slept at my parents house so just heading off to work right now and felling alil anxious but ok
Old 11-25-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Maybe some speaker recordings will help in those quiet times...

https://www.recoveryaudio.org

BB
Old 11-25-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
That tape played thru my head today. I missed my Antabuse dose and knew I wouldn’t die if I drank. .
actually it's recommended not to drink for 2 weeks after your dose Press.
You might want to use that to shut the AV up

D