Notices

Just realised, I'm boring!

Old 11-23-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just realised, I'm boring!

So today I can finish work early and I am thinking what to do with my evening. . . it has just dawned on me that I used to go for drinks with friends as I was bored and had no other hobbies or interests to pass the time! I guess I am quite boring and that going out for drinks was kind of my 'interest,' so I am trying to find things to occupy my time. (other than lying on the couch watching tv). I don't feel able to go to a pub and not drink yet so I'd rather avoid it at the moment. I have my gym stuff with me so I suppose I could spend an hour in the gym to burn some energy. . . Ha anyone else found themselves in this situation when newly sober?
Old 11-23-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What I found is that in sobriety, all of a sudden there was this VAST surplus of TIME.

TIME that I'd previously wasted pouring poison down my throat and convincing myself how "fun" it was.

Then, as I learned all this cherished world has to offer..... and how many options I now had when faced with SOBER TIME....

I had to start making choices about which wonderful things I'd experience and how to spend my limited time on this blessed ride.

No.... you're not BORING.

You're just beginning to wake....

Old 11-23-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes miscostalot, i am in the same situation. and i also consider myself really boring but i am grateful i am just feeling boredom and not hatred towards myself because once again i drank and made a fool of my self or something worts so i guess I'm okay being boring.

the gym sounds like a good idea
Old 11-23-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I quit, I started playing guitar, took voice lessons, joined crossfit, started hiking and doing so many other terrific things I "didn't have time" to do when I drank.

No longer bored or boring
Old 11-23-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my experience, being trapped in a vicious cycle of daily drinking is as boring as life can get.

Sober there are endless possibilities of what we can do.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The gym is a great thing to do Miss. I was exremely bored at first, but I used to have many hobbies before I turned alcoholic. It was hard getting motivated to get back into them, but once I did I felt my joy coming back. I cook (professionally and non-), hike, bike, write, read, and mainly I go out in the world and meet people! Something I never did when I became alcoholic.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess I am still lacking that motivation to do things that I've only ever dreamed of. I really would like to get fit but seem to only ever go to the gym/classes a few times before giving up! I don't know if this is just in my nature or if part of it was to do with going to the pub instead. I really don't have many interests. . . I guess I'll just need to motivate myself to find some! It's already getting dark here and I'm thinking. .. 'I could just go home instead of working out. . ' I have such a defeatist attitude at times and it really disappoints me.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

"Boring" or "Being Bored" are simply states of mind...not a type of person. We sometimes assume that "not drinking" = boring too, but that is just our addiction playing games to get us drinking again.

Once the chains of alcohol are removed, it opens up doors to activities we never could have done before. It's also important to not try and compare what you do with your time to others - whatever interests or things you would like to try are just fine.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
When I quit, I started playing guitar, took voice lessons, joined crossfit, started hiking and doing so many other terrific things I "didn't have time" to do when I drank.

No longer bored or boring
that's the way to do it!!
Old 11-23-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Time is such a precious commodity to me, I am glad to have it back. Not just the drinking and wasting time, the recovery after. My body can't bounce back like it did, one night of drinking was costing me days of productivity.

Now for boredom, if you can cook, all the churches have bake sales, suppers, etc., you don't have to be a member to contribute and it's fun! With ageing populations and too few younger folks, an extra hand is always appreciated. One of the companies I run does work with seniors, just going into a seniors home, reading with them, spending time, doing a simple craft.
When I get bored, I find a new problem to solve, or company to create. One I am trying to find time to do, is cooking meals for one. We have an interesting dilemma that socially we have never faced before in history, an ageing population, and a high rate of divorce, so many older folks are living single, don't want to cook for one. If someone could do like a meals on wheels with gourmet food, and run it as a business or social enterprise, appealing to more people whose pride would never have them call meals on wheels etc., there is money to be made there.
My one business does large scale events, we do a ton of nonprofit and charity events, the budgets at times are non existent, so I have learned to do crafts - I am not a crafty, country, down home girl LOL I am a minimalist, hate clutter, hate old stuff, love clean lines, this has been a real eye opener, but I took courses in flower arranging, learned to make feather and crystal crafts. Another organisation I run does animal assisted therapy, we are always looking for volunteers and teams. I have written quite a few papers and published articles recently regarding the fact volunteerism is declining in many areas and the sense of community is going away as we see these booms of bedroom towns. The whole reason I joined my husband's church, wasn't because I thought they had a profound message about God - completely the opposite, I came from a very religious upbringing and strict adherence to the good word, it was because of their attitude towards stewardship and giving to the community as a whole. I don't know if religion is your thing, but there is something really magical about church this time of year and they all need help! Just soe random, rambling thoughts.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting. No, I really can't cook and I am pretty useless at arts and crafts. :-( Honestly, my talents are very limited!!
Old 11-23-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by misscostalot View Post
Thank you for posting. No, I really can't cook and I am pretty useless at arts and crafts. :-( Honestly, my talents are very limited!!
LOL, I should find the bread I made a couple weeks ago. It was a quick, no-knead artisan thing, I didn't check my yeast, even though it said right in the recipe, if you are unsure, bloom the yeast. The dang thing was so flat and hard and yuck. I also didn't check the butter it said to generously grease the pot with and it was salted - so yeah, sometimes my fails are colossal! Sad to say, I did that sober too...

I've always taken courses through the winter, it took me 18 years to get a Masters degree LOL One year to the delight and raucous laughter of everyone who knew me, I did water color. Huge fan of art, terrible artist. Your local community centre might have something fun. I want to start fat biking, which is cycling in the winter. You buy a special bike, because of the suspension, dreadfully expensive - I think, but you can go on snowmobile trails, around the neighbourhood. They have these giant fat tires. A few of the provincial parks nearby have fat bike trails and I have wanted to start winter camping, because I am afraid of snakes and we had a bear visit our site last year while we were sleeping and I am a bit afraid. I was camping alone with my kids and dog, in a tent and found a very large print, inches from my head! Hubby might finally win the trailer vs. tent argument.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Misscostalot, you've gotten lots of good ideas here. One of the things I did was to get back to a couple of very simple things I used to enjoy. I started reading again and found my world opened up immediately. I belong to a couple of book groups and love chatting with other book lovers. I also got back to listening to music, which has brought me endless joy.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't belive that you drank because you couldn't think of anything better or more interesting with your time. I'm betting that, like me, you just got to a stage where drinking was given priority over anything else.

And yes - I got sober and realised that I had got to the stage where I'd let all my other interests and hobbies slide. t was quite good fun rediscovering some of them, and trying some new ones (with varying degrees of success). Go for it.

BB
Old 11-23-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

This is not exactly to your point but i once heard that there is a fine line between boredom and serenity.

Im not as active as i could be but i say dont rush yourself and just try one or 2 new activities a week.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you or all your ideas and support. I found the motivation to go to the gym tonight - hope I can make it a regular thing! Really appreciate all your help.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

this is totally true and something I need to remember every single day
Old 11-23-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by misscostalot View Post
I guess I am still lacking that motivation to do things that I've only ever dreamed of. I really would like to get fit but seem to only ever go to the gym/classes a few times before giving up! I don't know if this is just in my nature or if part of it was to do with going to the pub instead. I really don't have many interests. . . I guess I'll just need to motivate myself to find some! It's already getting dark here and I'm thinking. .. 'I could just go home instead of working out. . ' I have such a defeatist attitude at times and it really disappoints me.
My best guess is you are taking in a lot of negativity. Feed your mind more positive and inspirational messages. Quit worrying about things you can't control. I listen to these vids before every workout. T.D. Jakes is my favorite.
Ok I'm one post shy of being able to post You tube vids. Go to the You Tube search bar and type "motiversity".
Old 11-23-2017, 12:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I read a lot - including many spiritual things. For me it was a time of quiet reflection. I took some online course work and finished a degree. I quit smoking, ate better and started healthier processes in most areas. I became more aware and grateful for simple things in life.

Really, as you'll read - the root of whatever one does is the underlying theme of freedom. This was foreign to me - I was handcuffed and paralyzed my addictions. It's as if the farmer left the barn door open and I can go anywhere I choose.

Body - Mind and Spirit need to be fed. Find your feast, nibble here and there.....they pasture is yours, my friend!
Old 11-23-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i had hobbies and interests when i was drinking, but never truly got into them. never really put time into expanding my experience or knowledge of them.i did some woodworking, but the woodworking projects would get from 10-80% complete, then sit on a shelf, then end up in the fire.
after getting sober my interest in woodworking was there, but not too strong. i started doing small,easy things. sometimes all i did was make big pieces of wood smaller,then they ended up in the fire.
but i kept PRACTICING. projects started lookin better and i was starting to be impressed with what i was making.
i can kik out some things today that still impress me.