Notices

Struggling to go to AA

Old 11-21-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling to go to AA

I would like to try a meeting. I知 afraid of seeing anyone I know. I know people will look down at me with disgust.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi 24 Violets!

None of the people I know in AA look on newcomers with disgust. We were all newcomers at one time--some more than once. Just keep coming back--it works if you work it!
Old 11-21-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you see someone you know they will not judge you. They should welcome you. I don't know you and would welcome you because I do know what you are going through mentally. I said at my meeting this morning; how nice it is to talk to other likeminded individuals, so I feel understood with what's going on inside of my mind and to make sense of it if you will? On the outside I have a great life.. It's the inside 'struggle' that leads me to drinking. AA has been my outlet for that. Posting here as well.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both for the encouragement. I know it would help me to go. I have loved being in a group for other things. For now this site is helping a lot. I will try to get the courage up and face my fear soon. Thank God that terrible overwhelming feeling passed. I am feeling peaceful again. I am drinking my detox tea and knitting to keep my fingers busy.

Thanks so much for helping me
Old 11-21-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Hi Violets. Walking through the door to that first meeting is very VERY frightening for most people. You're not alone in feeling that fear.

The bad news is that it will take allot of courage to eventually enter that room. The good news is that the intensity of that fear will be matched disproportionately by the relief you will feel by the end of that meeting.

Let us know how it goes.

We do not shoot our wounded.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Walking through that door is hard! I'm not an avid AA'er,but being forced(court ordered) to take those few steps changed my perspective on life. I only regret not taking them sooner.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you go 24violets

D
Old 11-21-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 24violets View Post
I would like to try a meeting. I知 afraid of seeing anyone I know. I know people will look down at me with disgust.
youre admitting you want help, would be going somewhere to get help, and people would look down at you with disgust- people that are already at an AA meeting? maybe IF you see anyone you know at an AA meeting, they would be greatful to see you getting help?

would it be better iffen they saw ya stumbling out of a bar?
Old 11-21-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

its like a big fun sober social club

been to more than six thousand of them ...

never ever had anyone treat me badly

Old 11-21-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you see someone you know, they'll be there for the same reason. They won't look down on you.

If someone along the way who's not at the meeting sees you and looks down at you, that's their problem. They are the shameful person for judging you.... you are the honorable person for taking responsible action to make yourself a better person and live a better life.

They can get bent.

Go to the meeting.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the good advice. I am thinking of this in a new way now. I知 way more thankful to be sober, than ashamed of someone finding out I need help. I really do need help. Thank you for taking the time to answer me
Old 11-21-2017, 09:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I finally went to AA 4 weeks ago and loved it

Hi Violets,
I knew deep down that I've needed AA but put it off for about 4 years. It was the exact same fear - what if I know someone. I decided it would be best to go to a Closed meeting (open only to people who are alcoholics and/or problem drinkers) instead of an open meeting (open to non-alcoholics). I figured if it's at a Closed meeting, hopefully there is the mutual humility and respect that everyone has the same problem. I thought to myself finally, how can that person look down on me, they are there too.

I've not missed a Saturday meeting since - 4 in a row - and I'm the most noncommittal person I know! I've heard people say if you don't like the first meeting, keep trying other AA meetings "because every one is different." The one I went to is around 30 people and is evidently one of the most popular in this area. Some have 6-8 people. Keep trying. I feel like going to meetings was one of the top 3 most important things I've done for my sobriety.

Hugs!
Old 11-21-2017, 09:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One more thing....

I decided to do these 2 things at meetings that are game changers:

1. Look for similarities, not differences.
2. Take what works for me, leave the rest.

For the first one, I watched for ways I was similar to the people in AA, their stories, instead of different. For example, I could have sat there saying "I've not been to jail, lost a job, etc etc" BUT instead I kept thinking WOW I relate with so much of their stories! A comment here and there and I would nod or smile thinking WOW, we have so many similarities.

2. Take what works, and leave the rest. I don't get bent out of shape if there's something in AA I don't totally agree with. I may have a different opinion, or think it's not 100% perfect, but I don't use that as a reason to reject it. Sometimes i look for all the reasons why something won't work! This time I kept an open mind and heart and was pleasantly surprised with how much I gained from just 4 meetings.
(And this is coming from a very skeptical, cerebral mind who swore she would never go to AA lol)
I'm rooting for ya and hope you try and benefit! Hugs!
Old 11-21-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't think I really understood the fact that AA is run BY alcoholics, FOR alcoholics. As such, anyone in that room in a Closed meeting IS an alcoholic. The secratary, the person setting the room up, the one making the tea - everyone. If you meet someone you know in a closed meeting of AA then it's because they're there for the same reason as you. And they will be happy to see you and help you.

I remember a lady from my church choir first coming to a meeting. I was so glad to see her there, as I'd often seen some subtle signs (and smelt the telltale kinda-cold smell of alcohol on her) at choir and wondered. I just told her it was good to see her and gave her a hug, then made her a cuppa.

It took me many attempts to get through the door of a meeting. Lots of fruitless journeys into the city centre to return home frustrated at my fearfulness. Reaching out to chat to an internet responder really helped me to access that first meeting. Turned out that the only person looking down on me with disgust was ME. And that changed over time as I worked on my sobriety and recovery.

Good luck getting to that first meeting.

BB
Old 11-21-2017, 10:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
I don't think I really understood the fact that AA is run BY alcoholics, FOR alcoholics. As such, anyone in that room in a Closed meeting IS an alcoholic. The secratary, the person setting the room up, the one making the tea - everyone. If you meet someone you know in a closed meeting of AA then it's because they're there for the same reason as you. And they will be happy to see you and help you.

I remember a lady from my church choir first coming to a meeting. I was so glad to see her there, as I'd often seen some subtle signs (and smelt the telltale kinda-cold smell of alcohol on her) at choir and wondered. I just told her it was good to see her and gave her a hug, then made her a cuppa.

It took me many attempts to get through the door of a meeting. Lots of fruitless journeys into the city centre to return home frustrated at my fearfulness. Reaching out to chat to an internet responder really helped me to access that first meeting. Turned out that the only person looking down on me with disgust was ME. And that changed over time as I worked on my sobriety and recovery.

Good luck getting to that first meeting.

BB
Well said, BB!

I love this: "Turned out that the only person looking down on me with disgust was ME. And that changed over time as I worked on my sobriety and recovery."

Same for me. AA is actually helping me let go of the shame.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'll say this too; I leave whatever 'mental crap' that's bothering me at a meeting. I get it off my chest/mind and walk away from it. Very liberating.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Bless all of you for being so kind and sharing your thoughts and encouragement with me. It is my shame. I am having a very hard time getting the word alcoholic out of my mouth. I haven稚 yet. I know I am. I am ashamed that I am that I couldn稚 just have self control. I share that title with the person who left the deepest wounds on me and inside me. I知 very thankful that I feel so much better each morning. I知 thankful that withdrawal was so hard and so scary. It helped me to realize how much I needed to get sober. I知 thankful for all of you who shared your soul no matter how painful. It helped me realize how alike my story is to many of yours. Realizing that I am experiencing what people here are, I know I am an alcoholic. Okay I知 shaky even typing that for the first time. I did it I typed it. Now on to saying it out loud. I think I am going to go tonight. I looked at local meetings yesterday just didn稚 go. Please think positive thoughts and pray if you do, for me to go. I need to say it out loud, I知 an alcoholic, I have chains of slavery to it I need to break. I need to be set free.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi 24Violets,

Have you looked up AA in your area? There should be a central service office that you can call and get the number of someone who attends in your area then maybe you can go with them? Sometimes it helps to not have to walk in alone. Plus, I know when I've attended with newcomers they were grateful to have someone to explain what was going on (format of meeting etc).

I hope you go, you'll be happy you did!
Old 11-22-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 24violets View Post
Bless all of you for being so kind and sharing your thoughts and encouragement with me. It is my shame. I am having a very hard time getting the word alcoholic out of my mouth. I haven稚 yet. I know I am. I am ashamed that I am that I couldn稚 just have self control. I share that title with the person who left the deepest wounds on me and inside me. I知 very thankful that I feel so much better each morning. I知 thankful that withdrawal was so hard and so scary. It helped me to realize how much I needed to get sober. I知 thankful for all of you who shared your soul no matter how painful. It helped me realize how alike my story is to many of yours. Realizing that I am experiencing what people here are, I know I am an alcoholic. Okay I知 shaky even typing that for the first time. I did it I typed it. Now on to saying it out loud. I think I am going to go tonight. I looked at local meetings yesterday just didn稚 go. Please think positive thoughts and pray if you do, for me to go. I need to say it out loud, I知 an alcoholic, I have chains of slavery to it I need to break. I need to be set free.
I don't go to AA very often,but ALWAYS leave with something when I do attend. Yesterday a lady mentioned "being ashamed,too proud,whatever to ask for help." That was what really struck me. I didn't need 'help...I got this.."king of the world" type thoughts'.. It literally took a judge to get me to a meeting. When there's no shame in asking for help. Not at all. As this lady further explained it;"If there was a 100lb boulder in her way she felt the need to move it herself, Instead of simply...asking for help." It's crazy how just listening to other's thought process' are the exact same as my own thinking at times.. Hmmm.. Guess I'm not so 'unique'.

Again..This site is great for support as well!
Old 11-22-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Why would they look down on you if they are also at an AA meeting?