Notices

Naltrexone

Old 11-21-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone

Before my question, just a short history of the past three months. I've been hospitalized four times in the past 10 weeks for detox (alcohol). What makes it worse I'm type 2 diabetic, so my blood sugar was way out of control. My last detox, I spent the first day in ICU, for blood sugar, and blood pressure issue's, that was two weeks ago.
About six weeks ago, I was prescribed Naltrexone. I've taken it on three different occasions now, and I swore I's never take it again. The dizziness, headache's and restlessness it gave me, basically spent the whole day in bed. Just wanting to see if anyone else had the same experience? Maybe I can take everyday and see if the side effects subside?
So far, this time around, I am doing well, no cravings. I am looking into a few programs to attend.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I've taken it in the past & never had any problems. I took half the dose (25mg) the first few times which may have helped reduce the side-effects. I believe the side-effects do tend to reduce after the first few times you take it.

if you've been hospitalized from alcohol multiple times, might it be worth giving the Naltrexone another try & put up with the side-effects for a few days? it can be very helpful if it works for you (it doesn't for everyone).
Old 11-21-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It would be a good idea to talk to the dr who prescribed the medication. Explain the side-effects you are having and see what his advice is.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No side effects whatsoever for me.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anna, I did mention it to my doctor, he wanted me to try it again, think I may try half a dose for a few days, and take it from there.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's best to check with your Doc before you go down to half dose I reckon Toy?

D
Old 11-21-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I first started naltrexone I felt kind of like a had a low-grade hangover for about a week and then started feeling better, but it did for me exactly what it was supposed to do which is make drinking not very interesting, no big deal. I did open a beer to see what would happen (not recommended!) and I couldn't finish it; that was 15 minutes after my first dose. On one occasion I did get drunk on about 7 lagers but it was not at all pleasurable. It was strange. Anyway, for me the benefit outweighed the slightly ill feeling, which did totally go away. I think you should give it a bit more time, Toy. I have 23 months now. Best wishes.