Notices

Whatever day you are on.......here come the holidays!

Old 11-20-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Whatever day you are on.......here come the holidays!

For many of us whatever day we are on, this will be the first time doing the holidays sober. For me I have had to do some extra planning and think through how to handle this hurdle.

First I had to reaffirm my commitment to sobriety. Come January I plan to still be counting sober days and not day 1!

That means I better get my head on straight now!
The house is dry.
The events that include alcohol I plan to have a “wingman” who is a safe person to hang with during the event. If I can’t have a person, I will declare a “safe place” like a table or couch or even a chair. Usually there are non drinkers at every event. I will find them and enjoy whatever sober conversation is happening
Next I won’t plan to stay forever. When the formal events are done, 30 mins later I’m homeward bound.

If it is a non drinking event, then I can relax a bit. But I can’t forget.
Next I want to make a new tradition that is awesome, but not related to alcohol. A special breakfast, or a walk, maybe a Christmas magic trick. Something to make others smile.

I know the holidays are a challenge, set your goal to be sober now, and get a strong plan. You won’t regret waking up in January sober!!
Old 11-20-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

great reminder SF - thanks

D
Old 11-20-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great ideas and way to think ahead!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks SimplyFree! I'll be staying close to SR to celebrate the holidays with all of you!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had lots of sober holidays and sober NewYears eve's . . . later in life. 2o's and 30s a different story. The sober ones are enjoyable and a breeze with no worries about partaking in activities anytime of day or night. This year i know will be my 1st sober Xmas in 2 years. so... i am thankful i'm back on track again.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’ve decided to spend the holidays on my own this year. The relief of not having to deal with my family is palpable. Only chance I have to make it through sober.

I consider it putting sobriety first. If people dont respect that, it’s time to kick them to the curb. I mean seriously tho.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’m sure there are sober people alone for the holidays. If possible find somewhere to get out and be with people for a short bit. I like going to Christmas service. It is a celebration and reminds me of the reason for Christmas. But I’m not trapped and I can go home smiling. Blessings and joy is worth experiencing sober! Keep up the hard work!
Old 11-20-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This will be my second one (june 2016).

In some ways, some things get harder because you grow complacent. Last year's firsts were very near to d-day (when I almost checked out). Now my guard is down a bit, but I can't risk it while I'm living out the consequences of all the stuff I messed up.

have fun all.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks SF. Always good to have a plan.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Shoot me in the face. I hate the holidays. I've been in a spin for a week now crying about thanksgiving. It is just AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL no matter what I do. If I go to my family's it sucks, if I stay away it also sucks. I hate the holidays. Wake me up when it is January 1.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 21 for me. I will be eating Thanksgiving dinner on here.
Holidays have always been tough for me drinking or sober. I am doing this holiday sober.

asixstringnut
Old 11-21-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
Shoot me in the face. I hate the holidays. I've been in a spin for a week now crying about thanksgiving. It is just AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL no matter what I do. If I go to my family's it sucks, if I stay away it also sucks. I hate the holidays. Wake me up when it is January 1.
Bunny211
Yes I agree. holidays are always hard drunk or sober. I get to spend this Thanksgiving with my two best friends. My dogs Luna and Wiley.

Hope you feel better.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

some good festive season ideas to help stay sober here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ers-2-0-a.html (Thanksgiving and Xmas Survival Guide vers 2.0)
Old 11-26-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok, Thanksgiving weekend is done, lots of food, lots of football, zero alcohol. I’m a bit amazed, but I’m still counting past 7 months. I hope you are too. If you made it this far, excellent and congratulations! Don’t lose your focus! If you didn’t make it, shake it off renew your commitment. You can still be over 30 by the new year! Also we all have some more hurdles in the next 30 days or so. That means be here, post, get stronger. All of us need to improve our sobriety skills and commitment to make it through. We can never forget why we started working on sobriety. .........