Notices

What can I expect at an AA meeting?

Old 11-20-2017, 04:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well I failed again this weekend. I've decided to maybe try an AA meeting. I've read online, and talked to a few people about it, and get mixed opinions. The only thing I know is I have to find something that works for me dammit! Want so much to be done with the booze. It doesn't taste good, or make me feel good at all. The next day I'm so riddled with guilt. I feel like I've cheated myself, my family, and all of you at SR that have sent support my way. There is no such thing in my life anymore as "well I can have just one drink" , as all you fine people know full well that that just doesn't exist. I was told by a doctor a few years ago that Im not an alcoholic, just a guy with a bad habit. I believed that theory for a long time. Its hard to look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are an ALCOHOLIC. I did that last night, and again this morning just to make sure I still believed it after drinking. My support system is wonderful. Wife, and 2 teenage boys that are very supportive.
Sorry for this early morning rambling. I didn't mean to go on and on.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuckleman45 View Post
Well I failed again this weekend. I've decided to maybe try an AA meeting. I've read online, and talked to a few people about it, and get mixed opinions. The only thing I know is I have to find something that works for me dammit! Want so much to be done with the booze. It doesn't taste good, or make me feel good at all. The next day I'm so riddled with guilt. I feel like I've cheated myself, my family, and all of you at SR that have sent support my way. There is no such thing in my life anymore as "well I can have just one drink" , as all you fine people know full well that that just doesn't exist. I was told by a doctor a few years ago that Im not an alcoholic, just a guy with a bad habit. I believed that theory for a long time. Its hard to look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are an ALCOHOLIC. I did that last night, and again this morning just to make sure I still believed it after drinking. My support system is wonderful. Wife, and 2 teenage boys that are very supportive.
Sorry for this early morning rambling. I didn't mean to go on and on.
It's definitely great to have a supportive family.... and your family will benefit greatly from your sobriety.

What you can expect at an AA meeting is to find support and experience, people - like you - who have struggled with alcohol and finally made the choice to embrace sobriety and live a life of gratitude, presence and abundance.

You can expect to feel a little fearful, a little uncomfortable, a little uncertain.

You can expect your alcohol-addicted mind to whisper things:

"you're not like them"
"this isn't for you"
"The GOD thing..."
"But I can't do this"
"I'm not as bad as them"
"what are you DOING here?"

But if you go with an open mind, if you go with the sincere and honest purpose of seeing WHAT IT CAN OFFER YOU to support your healing and living a joyful life.... then you can expect also to find:

Hope
A powerful tool in support of your sobriety
A community
A group of caring human beings, there to help and support one another
An experience that will touch you deeply
A subtle (or perhaps an intense) recognition that you've found something deeply important to you

THE BEGINNING OF A BEAUTIFUL LIFE!!!!

Old 11-20-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help other to recover from alcoholism.

i strongly suggest going to more than one meeting and picking up a copy of the big book ( and reading the first 164 pages)to learn what the program truly is.
it not only helped me stop drinking and recover from the hopeless state of mind and body, but also got rid of all the baggage in my melon.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

^SO well said! Agreed.

I'd also add- you don't have to speak, you don't have to identify yourself as a newcomer (a lot of mtgs ask if anyone is attending their first AA meeting, or is a visitor from another group) and you do not have to participate in the beginning or ending prayers most groups have (usually the Serenity Prayer and/or Lord's Prayer).

Also, you are not obligated to give the standard $1 to a basket that gets passed around. Visitors eat free, so to speak!

Lastly - you may want to look up the different kinds of meetings- personally, I would suggest trying different ones (places and types) and give yourself a chance to start understanding the program - typical codes by a mtg time are OD (Open Discussion- anyone is welcome, not just members of AA), CD (Closed Discussion, members only), 12/12 (Steps and Traditions), BB (Big Book), W (Womens) M (Mens) and the like.

Hope to hear how it goes! And- breathe. One step, one hour- that's all it is.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

what kind of meeting would i start with? open or closed?
Old 11-20-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

either way. only requirement is "a desire to stop drinking"

Closed meetings simply denote they're not open to 'non-members'. Open meetings can be attended by anyone.

Technically, you have a desire to stop drinking, that's the only requirement for membership. So... WELCOME.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds good. Thanks. I used to ******** myself and loved ones all the time about my drinking. When I finally hit my rock bottom it was the most glorious feeling I’ve had in awhile. I’m an alcoholic and that’s that
Old 11-20-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

let us know how it goes,eh?
Old 11-20-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the meeting goes well.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is just me, but I don't know the system very well, and it has a set of rules I found difficult to follow as I have a warrior mentality.

I'm a believer in free speech, and find the structure to be difficult to deal with... and I don't want to hold your hand; I don't know you.

I always just end up in some sort of altercation. It's not for me.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Those are the kind of things that I have fond while researching aa. Some love it some can’t be bothered with it. All I can do is go have a look see.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hope it goes well.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went to my first meeting recently, the idea of "GOD" instilled an ignorance inside me to feel it wouldn't be worth it.

I was wrong. The group, the people were great. I felt secure and at comforting being surrounded by people in the same situation. There are a few customs which may seem strange but for me it helped me accept who i am and work towards a happier life.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How long do the meetings usually last?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

an hour...and they are pretty punctual with it.

it's a funny thing because its the god thing that I get the most out of it and I've never been a religious person. would consider myself an agnostic but am moving more towards the believing. I like the prayers at the beginning and end which I find to give me comfort and strength.

many people aren't into god and are very successful in AA. I find him to be my higher power and believe that he will save me and not a sponsor. I also like the fellowship. as you can see I kinda go against the grain so I keep my mouth shut as I don't want controversy. I get a lot of the meetings.

there's a saying..."take what you want and leave the rest"...but that wouldn't be a good topic to bring up at a meeting.....
Old 11-20-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Expect nothing,but go in with an open mind. I always suggest open meetings, at first, and try a few different ones out before you decide if it's for you or not. Each meeting has a different vibe to me. The meetings alone will NOT get you sober. Know that.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I’m normally a quiet and shy person. Will this be a problem at a meeting?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuckleman45 View Post
I’m normally a quiet and shy person. Will this be a problem at a meeting?
not at all. plenty of quiet and shy people at meetings.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

why not go to one TODAY and you'll learn exactly what to expect!!

I'ma go to one today, haven't been in a while.... need to pick up a Big Book for someone.

If I can, you can too!!! I'm also from the Great White North.... but not quite as north.... the land between.... the no man's land.... where we're note quite Canadian, not quite American.....

Old 11-20-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I’m just asking questions to know what to expect when I get there. I’m going today after work as long as I have time