Notices

Day 3

Old 11-18-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3

So here I am. 30 year old wife and mother of 3 wonderful children , and secret alcoholic up until 3 days ago when I confessed my closet binging to my husband. I've had enough of the hiding, the stress, the sickness and the pain. I suffer from anxiety and the drinking and the hiding has obviously made it so much worse. I am 3 days sober today and excited to live my life instead of just existing , my kids deserve so much more. This is hard because the idea of never drinking again terrifies me but I NEED to change! I can do this..... right?
Old 11-18-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of course you can! You've already taken the first steps especially with telling your husband. AND you've made it three days. That's pretty awesome. In another four days, it'll be a week! When was last time you were sober for a week?
Old 11-18-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your reply! It does sound good, but I'm trying hard not to look far into the future and just take it day by day. I'll be excited to make it to 7! The only days I've been sober over the last 8 years have been my pregnancies. I quit as soon as I found out I was expecting each time (early on) and never had a drink until they were born and I wasn't nursing any longer. Other than the pregnancies, this is the first time I've not drank....
Old 11-18-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me too MJ, and yes we can do this. I also have a bit of fear over giving up alcohol, but I ask myself why? Am I really giving up something that benefits me in any way? I don't think so. But I will walk through the fear, knowing that many others here have successfully done the same and are now in a much better place.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I couldn't have said it better myself. There really is nothing to miss out on just because we're not consuming alcohol. It's also seeing the people who have quit successfully who inspire me and give me hope that it really is attainable! I can wait to feel more at peace.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I get where you're both coming from. Sometimes it feels like you could never drink water again and you can only drink other beverages for the rest of your life.
At least that's how I felt. I take it day by day. When I get worried about things, I just think how far I've gone. Even if it's only been a few days. For the first time in a long time, you guys have gone three days. Did you guys think you could do that a week ago? You guys are both awesome and you CAN do this. If you have a slip don't be afraid to come back here. Everybody's really supportive!
Old 11-18-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support!!! You're absolutely right, a week ago, I never thought I'd be here! I can't wait until I can say one week! !
Old 11-18-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MJJLB View Post
So here I am. 30 year old wife and mother of 3 wonderful children , and secret alcoholic up until 3 days ago when I confessed my closet binging to my husband. I've had enough of the hiding, the stress, the sickness and the pain. I suffer from anxiety and the drinking and the hiding has obviously made it so much worse. I am 3 days sober today and excited to live my life instead of just existing , my kids deserve so much more. This is hard because the idea of never drinking again terrifies me but I NEED to change! I can do this..... right?
Yes.... do it right now, I've lost my partner of over 8 years & he loved me dearly, he's had enough of my binge drinking & says he doesn't love me anymore, don't be where I am, the pain is killing me, take care x

Last edited by Netta7171; 11-18-2017 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-18-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can definitely do this MJJLB

Support really helps and there's a ton of that here

D
Old 11-18-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ilovepi View Post
Did you guys think you could do that a week ago?
Yes I could, and did Ilovepi. Three days sober is no problem for me, nor a week, a month etc. I can easily stop for extended periods of time. Unfortunately, my problem is starting back drinking again. It's the thought that this time I'll control my drinking that always gets me.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All you day 3 people. Day 3 is a great first step, then 5 days happens and a week. I remember getting to 9 days and thinking I had just accomplished the world and why wasn’t Everyone cheering because I certainly felt great about it. Dee had to remind me that nonalcoholics don’t quite see my sobriety the same as I did. To them it had only been nine days. I had to laugh. But this is totally doable and worth it. Especially for your kids. Keep at it, stay strong. Be here, read, post and stay sober.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm loving all of the support everyone, thank you! Day 4 today and feeling great actually. Cravings were much less today surprisingly and my skin and eyes feel so much better! I know what you mean, 4 days feels like a huge step to me but for a non-alcoholic it seems silly. I too have been worried about the thoughts of " what if I can control it this time", but I KNOW that a trap and it will only lead to me falling right back into the hole I've dug. I don't want to live the way I was and for the first time, I feel hopeful ❤.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you MJJLB

D
Old 11-19-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you think 4 days feels good (congrats, btw!!!) are you ever gonna be excited at 6, 9, 15, 30 days! It gets so much better, you're going to love it. Excited for you.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's exciting for sure. Day 5 and still chugging along, I can't wait for day 30, but I'm trying not to look too far in the future so right now even 7 days is looking fantastic.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done! keep going MJJLB
Old 11-20-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats MJJLB! I am now free for 2 1/2 years. This is my first ever post on a forum. I feel I want to share and help. You can do it, it gets better and better.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oxon91 View Post
Congrats MJJLB! I am now free for 2 1/2 years. This is my first ever post on a forum. I feel I want to share and help. You can do it, it gets better and better.
I hope so! It's scary with the holidays coming up....
Old 11-20-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Netta7171 View Post
Yes.... do it right now, I've lost my partner of over 8 years & he loved me dearly, he's had enough of my binge drinking & says he doesn't love me anymore, don't be where I am, the pain is killing me, take care x
I'm so sorry to hear that 😔, I hope you're okay...
Old 11-20-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Oxon

D