Notices

Pot????

Old 11-18-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pot????

Just coming here to see if any of you smoke pot to help with anxiety and such. Or is that bad too? I mean it’s not addictive and it just calms you down. It’s way better than alcohol is. Any input would be great.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's against our rules to promote the use of drugs or alcohol on this site. And, many would disagree with you that pot is not addictive.

There are healthy ways to deal with anxiety, which is something many of us experience.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Many people claim pot is not really addictive and that it even isn't really a drug; it's just an herb. It's a natural plant, therefore it's good. Cocaine comes from coca leaves in South America. Does that make it okay? While I realize pot's been used in medicine for years, like many other meds in medicine it can be addictive.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

it’s not addictive and it just calms you down .... Your statement on both counts is wrong .
Old 11-18-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newbie14 View Post
Just coming here to see if any of you smoke pot to help with anxiety and such. Or is that bad too? I mean it’s not addictive and it just calms you down. It’s way better than alcohol is. Any input would be great.
Just my thoughts,
Although pot wasn't my DOC, I did use it while drinking on occasion. For me, because of my addictive personality and my distorted thinking and behavior's, I can become addicted to anything including pot, food, prescription pills, hobbies, the list can go on. Your thought that pot isn't addictive, well there's numerous people on this sight that are on here for support because they ARE in fact addicted to pot.
It's affected there's lives in a negative way. I'm not saying pot is bad, it definitely has proven to be of good use in certain afflictions but like just like any other drug, it can become addictive with certain people.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep coming back here especially if you're working on recovery and you have anxiety. A lot of us do, too believe it or not. Everybody has the right to do as they choose. I don't judge anybody for what they do. Goodness know, I have no right. However, marijuana does alter your thinking. No one can argue with that. When I was sober, I would use marijuana and guess what? In a haze I thought who cares if I have a little bit of wine. So....yeah...didn't work for me too well. I'm not judging you, anxiety sucks, I know. That said, I would never recommend pot as a way to deal with anxiety, especially when trying to stay sober. There are other natural things out there that help with anxiety, even better than pot. Essential oils like lavender or taking a multivitamin with a good amount of magnesium in it, for example. It sounds all square, but it's better than relapsing or the heartburn from throwing down on junk food.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newbie14 View Post
just my opinion form personal experience:
when i wasnt drinkin much i was smokin pot a LOT. and much of the time i was doin both. any time i gave a half arsed attempt at getting sober, i didnt stop smokin pot and ended up with a bottle in my hand pretty quick.
imo, it isnt way better than alcohol for anxiety.
what i found way better than both is examining the reasons for the anxiety(fear).
it would be wise to speak with the doctor that diagnosed the anxiety.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Many people claim pot is not really addictive and that it even isn't really a drug; it's just an herb. It's a natural plant, therefore it's good. Cocaine comes from coca leaves in South America. Does that make it okay? While I realize pot's been used in medicine for years, like many other meds in medicine it can be addictive.
i do believe wine comes from grapes and theres things like grains and hops in different alcohols?
Old 11-18-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm diagnosed was GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and used pot for probably 20 years to help me sleep. I rarely ever smoked during the day as I was very unproductive and ate everything in sight.

For my anxiety, I've found the opposite happens at my age: pot does not sooth this brain any longer. I get even more distracted and start to worry about things to the point of upsetting myself....which is something I don't do after years of therapy and proper medication.

just my experience. Take care!
Old 11-18-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I understand anxiety can be rough. Have you tried getting any help for that from someone who can really help you? Speaking from my own experience, when I feel anxious there is usually a reason. Most of my anxiety is fear-based. But being in early recovery a person is also bound to have anxiety as the brain is trying to right itself from having a CNS depressant inflicted on it. With more sober time that should get better. I find music to be very helpful in exploring a myriad of emotions, including fear and anxiety. And actually, through my music I've had to overcome performance anxiety too. Sing, like you don't need the money. I've asked myself, "What am I so flipping afraid of here? Get over it!" And then there is performance anxiety at work...again...what good does it do me to be anxious? It doesn't solve anything. I also exercise to deal with emotions and that's really helpful...in fact it's a must for me. I hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i do believe wine comes from grapes and theres things like grains and hops in different alcohols?
Exactly, tomsteve!! And heroin comes from the poppy plant! Vodka comes from potatoes. Saki comes from rice. So on and so forth. Hard cider comes from apples.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's up to you, it's your life and your quit.

Personally I wouldn't consider myself sober if I used it. I wanted to learn healthy way to deal with anxiety, depression etc
Old 11-18-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm addicted to checking out from reality. Sometimes its pot, sometimes its alcohol, sometimes its other stuff. One thing I know for sure though is pot is as much a problem for me as any other drug. That's my own personal experience.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Pot caused my anxiety and panic attacks.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

IMO if you're asking your conscious is already telling you...
Old 11-18-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm a coin toss on this. I don't think it's bad and I've smoked A LOT, in my day. However..after being sober from booze,around the 9 month mark, I just had the "what's the point?" moment and quit(weed was never a problem for me). I played golf last week and took ONE hit of some premo,hadn't smoked in a few weeks, and it did alter my state of mind. I didn't like it. I felt off 'kilter' for the rest of the night. Maybe it's just 'non-drinking me' not wanting to feel 'off?'. I've started to enjoy being on point at all times of the day.. My need to "escape" is no more.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I destroyed my life on pot as completely as I did with alcohol later on. It fed the same insatiable drive to escape.

We have a Marijuana subforum here - if if anyone doubts pot can be destructive and addictive take a read sometime.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ana-addiction/

D
Old 11-19-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I destroyed my life on pot as completely as I did with alcohol later on.
D
Same but a while after quitting cannabis I started drinking alcohol
Old 11-19-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Pot can lead to relapse for those in sobriety. Risky very risky.
M-Bob
Old 11-19-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I mean it’s not addictive

It certainly is in my experience.

Over 35 years ago I quit smoking, by substituting the "legal" drug, alcohol. That didn't work out so good for me either.