Notices

3 days

Old 11-17-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days

Hey everyone! I’m on day 3 of no alcohol! This will be my 4th attempt at giving this up. I am not knocking AA but it doesn’t seem to work for me so I’m wondering if online support could help do the trick. I’m starting to see a therapist next Wednesday and he specializes in addiction and does hypnotherapy. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and how it worked! Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!

I never tried hypnotherapy, but it was on my list of things to try if nothing else was working for me! Keep in touch and let us know how it goes.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. You'll find a lot of support here.
Never tried that therapy. I hope it helps you.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kourtney

I have no experience with hypnotherapy but you'll find a lot of support and good ideas here

D
Old 11-17-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Greetings. I'm on night three (since historically I'd only drink at night that's how I think of it).

A few years back, I went to an AA meeting and never went back. Everyone's experience was so much more dramatic and even terrifying than mine. People who were drunk for days at a time, who'd completely mislaid company vehicles because they were so drunk, people who'd had serious run-ins with the law because of their drinking.

Me? I'd get drunk most every night on either wine or vodka while watching TV programs or a movie and then I'd toddle off to bed.

Not convinced you need to go to AA meetings, but that has been the model for decades, so I can't knock it. On the other hand, with the advent of the internet, there are other kinds of support such as this forum.

Fortunately for me, my quitting hasn't resulted in any serious physical symptoms. I've been sober for as many as four or five nights in the recent past and I know that my biggest thing is itching, especially at night. I didn't have the itches for the first two nights this time, but I can feel the skin irritation right now. If that's the worst there is for me, I'll live with it, but from doing a bit of reading, I know that things can go completely south for other people when they quit.

If push comes to shove, see your doctor.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldwriter View Post
Greetings. I'm on night three (since historically I'd only drink at night that's how I think of it).

A few years back, I went to an AA meeting and never went back. Everyone's experience was so much more dramatic and even terrifying than mine. People who were drunk for days at a time, who'd completely mislaid company vehicles because they were so drunk, people who'd had serious run-ins with the law because of their drinking.

Me? I'd get drunk most every night on either wine or vodka while watching TV programs or a movie and then I'd toddle off to bed.

Not convinced you need to go to AA meetings, but that has been the model for decades, so I can't knock it. On the other hand, with the advent of the internet, there are other kinds of support such as this forum.

Fortunately for me, my quitting hasn't resulted in any serious physical symptoms. I've been sober for as many as four or five nights in the recent past and I know that my biggest thing is itching, especially at night. I didn't have the itches for the first two nights this time, but I can feel the skin irritation right now. If that's the worst there is for me, I'll live with it, but from doing a bit of reading, I know that things can go completely south for other people when they quit.

If push comes to shove, see your doctor.

I too, experience the itching!!!! So strange! We sound a lot alike in that I haven’t had major horrible experiences and I only drink at night but I’m known to do work during that time and I’m going to ruin my reputation if I don’t stop. I know AA has saved many people but I am looking forward to trying this support group instead! We are in the exact same place so please keep in touch! I️ have actually made it 2 whole years without drinking and got bored and picked it up again!! 😑
Old 11-18-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! I’m ready to make this happen this time. I will keep y’all posted on how this therapy goes for me.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kourtney View Post
Thank you everyone! I’m ready to make this happen this time. I will keep y’all posted on how this therapy goes for me.
I plan to be around, Kourtney. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

I'm starting with ad addiction therapist next week. My healthcare provider also has group therapy that is not AA I am planning to attend Good luck! I'll be right there with you.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinnacleOR View Post
I'm starting with ad addiction therapist next week. My healthcare provider also has group therapy that is not AA I am planning to attend Good luck! I'll be right there with you.
Good luck to you as well! I’d love to hear how yours goes!