Notices

The Holidays

Old 11-16-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Holidays

Only day 6 of this alcohol free stuff..and I am getting nervous about Thanksgiving.. Xmas..New years.. how do you stay strong when literally everyone around you is drinking.. I tell myself.. egg. It's the holidays enjoy..as long as ur not home drinking alone like a douche.. idk.. just nervous
Old 11-16-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on six days. The holidays were a rough time for me. I think it’s important to always have a plan B during holiday events. I always made a plan or a way to escape and remove myself from a situation if I felt I couldn’t handle it. If I was really worried about my sobriety I would skip events all together. Again make a plan and stick to it.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a very good Holiday Survival Guide thread.

I will try to find it and post a link.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As promised:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ving+Christmas (Thanksgiving and Xmas Survival Guide vers 2.0)
Old 11-16-2017, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That article was amazing.. I think I will stick to "I have to stay sober just in case Gotham needs me!" I will develop a plan as well! Never thought of that. Thank you !! It's been a long 6 days.. constantly talking myself out of a package store stop! Can't wait for it to be a bit easier!! I feel that this site will make it a bit more manageable!!
Old 11-16-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It will get easier as time goes on. Stay strong you can do it😀
Old 11-16-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a headful of 'what ifs' too Leia but to cut a long story short, everything worked out.

It will for you too - it just does

I love my sober life

D
Old 11-16-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leia86 View Post
Only day 6 of this alcohol free stuff..and I am getting nervous about Thanksgiving.. Xmas..New years.. how do you stay strong when literally everyone around you is drinking.. I tell myself.. egg. It's the holidays enjoy..as long as ur not home drinking alone like a douche.. idk.. just nervous
I don't worry about what everyone else is doing. I don't like drinking so I am not going to do it. Other people can do whatever they want but that does not mean I have to.

To me the holidays are the best time not to drink. I don't enjoy it anymore so why would I ruin a holiday by drinking? That's how I see it anyway..

If I am sober I know I'll have a good time if I'm out with friends. If I am drinking it is a hit or a miss. About 90%of the time it'll lead to me binge drinking, getting in a fight, drunk texting, using drugs etc. No thanks. I am done with alcohol.

Don't let society make you feel like because it is a holiday you should drink. Do what YOU want to do.