Notices

Giving sobriety a try

Old 11-16-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving sobriety a try

I've never spoken openly about my relationship with alcohol sober before. I've only ever spoken with my best friend about it whilst we have both been drunk. I am 27 and at a stage in my life where I want to start bettering myself. I truly believe I am an alcoholic and need to stop drinking. I would not speak openly with family as I wouldn't want to burden them (though I know they would be supportive). The only other people in my life who I could confide in are my best friend and his family, but they can be very selfish and concerned with their own problems and no one else's. I have known my best friend for over 15 years, and as much as we have many fun, nice memories together, for the past 5 years or so, I don't think there's been a single evening spent together where we weren't drinking ourselves into oblivion and inevitably arguing or becoming passive aggressive with one another. I have expressed concern about my drinking in the past with him, as I say, and what I find most irritating is that when I pledge to go sober. Etc. I get no support, in fact, the opposite, it's more like I'm being spurred on to give in to drinking with him, and I'm sure it pleases him. I'm sure he has an alcohol problem too but of course I would never think it my place to dictate how he should spend his life. I have decided to really give it a go this time, so thought I should find some kind of support to make up for the lack of support I'm finding in those around me. I've downloaded a habit tracker app thingy so I can record my sober streak and hopefully that will be some extra initiative for me to persevere with this. Sorry for waffling haha.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on making the first biggest step to bettering your life!

You will find a TON of support here!

I too had a drinking friend, that's all we did. I am unable to speak with her at the moment as she is still using, daily. Not my place to suggest she is an alcoholic, so it is just better if I distance myself to better myself and to remain sober. Sobriety is my #1 everything else follows behind that, friends are so far down the list I never have much time for them anyways.

I wish you the best.
You are worth it!

Keep coming back

Old 11-16-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
Welcome and congrats on making the first biggest step to bettering your life!

You will find a TON of support here!

I too had a drinking friend, that's all we did. I am unable to speak with her at the moment as she is still using, daily. Not my place to suggest she is an alcoholic, so it is just better if I distance myself to better myself and to remain sober. Sobriety is my #1 everything else follows behind that, friends are so far down the list I never have much time for them anyways.

I wish you the best.
You are worth it!

Keep coming back

Thank you very much! I will definitely be checking in regularly All the best to you too x
Old 11-16-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome grayP,
Sober recovery has been key to my sobriety. I too don’t hang out with my old drinking buddies. Once I got sober I realized that drinking was all we really had in common. I love my sober life and my new friends
Old 11-16-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've made a wise decision. Getting sober for good was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Gray - I'd give anything to go back to my 20's & do what you're doing. Back then I refused to admit my drinking was already causing trouble. I continued trying to control the amounts I drank - and it never once worked. I found myself drinking every day as a much older person, with a life in ruins. You will never regret taking action now. Welcome to a great place for friendship & encouragement. You can do this.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gray
They say a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step so you're on your way - tons of support here- welcome

D
Old 11-17-2017, 02:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

😅 Thank you for all your replies. I really appreciate them! I am feeling determined to do this so here's hoping 👍 x
Old 11-17-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Gray,

I quit at 28 for 8months. It seemed easy, but in hindsight I was craving.

I got wasted in an airport in Germany on that relapse. It wasn't awesome, it was as I had remembered. I felt sick afterwards....as usual.

Education is what I needed to stay quit this time. I have had 2 snorts in over 1000 days. Both relapses were my fault and occurred after some personal rationalizing.

I have hurt myself fiercely w booze,. Now that i am educated, I will never poor that poison down my throat for as long as I live.

Tha ks.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Gray,

I quit at 28 for 8months. It seemed easy, but in hindsight I was craving.

I got wasted in an airport in Germany on that relapse. It wasn't awesome, it was as I had remembered. I felt sick afterwards....as usual.

Education is what I needed to stay quit this time. I have had 2 snorts in over 1000 days. Both relapses were my fault and occurred after some personal rationalizing.

I have hurt myself fiercely w booze,. Now that i am educated, I will never poor that poison down my throat for as long as I live.

Tha ks.
Good for you 👍