Notices

I know I need to think about others but I don’t care

Old 11-11-2017, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know I need to think about others but I don’t care

I mean I do sort of. I stop to help in emergencies. I like feeling useful. It’s the interpersonal crap. I always feel like I’m lying. Why do you guys even care about me? Do I really even care about anyone? Day 8,btw.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

At day 8 i had enough on my plate with just not drinking

There'll be plenty of time for you to think about who you are and who you want to be - but it's better done down when you're down the road a little and a little more emotionally settled.

Short answer tho - everyone has good in them and everyone's worthy of help and of finding a good life

You're doing fine Press

D
Old 11-11-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
At day 8 i had enough on my plate with just not drinking

There'll be plenty of time for you to think about who you are and who you want to be - but it's better done down when you're down the road a little and a little more emotionally settled.

Short answer tho - everyone has good in them and everyone's worthy of help and of finding a good life

You're doing fine Press

D
Yep. What TS said.

I remember in an AA meeting a newcomer lady spitting the words "Why are you being nice to me? Why would you care about me?" at me in a much more hostile way than I read your post above. And I said to her what I'll add to TS's post. "Why wouldn't I??" It doesn't actually take much effort to be kind after all.

That lady is now 3 months sober. Would have been longer except for a one night slip where she learned the value of reaching out to others (or, more accurately, the danger of not reaching out when you need it).

BB
Old 11-12-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’m glad you’re sober.

I care.

Keep going.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found my opinions changed as my sober time built.

Congratulations on day 8.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
Why do you guys even care about me? Do I really even care about anyone? Day 8,btw.
good on ha for 8 days!
why should i care?
becuase when i was feelin like a hopeless,helpless,useless,worthless POS some people took the time to care about me and help me save myself. they helped me stop feeling like a hopeless, helpless, useless, worthless POS. i feel the results of what they did and hope i can help someone else,lime you, be able to experience the change.

do you care about anyone? more than likely deep down in, you do care about others.
however,at this time it would be a wise idea to care about yourself- learn about you and how to love and care about yourself first.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I care. You're in a transitional period---your emotions will come back to life as your sober days add up. It took me a week or two of sobriety before I even began to feel normal. It took months and years to get into the state we got into, and it doesn't repair itself overnight.
BTW, just in case you don't believe that someone cares, I care and I recognized that your username is from the Clash song Rudy Can't Fail. See, someone cared and paid attention. Every time I see your username I'm reminded of that great song and I smile.
Like I always say, ripples in a pond.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We have beeen in your shoes and we empathize because it was a horrible place to be.

We are strangers but we care because of the things we have in common. We identify with the hurt and desperation.

That kind of talk is AV fodder. Don't listen!

We are here with you! You are worthy! We get it!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
good on ha for 8 days!
why should i care?
becuase when i was feelin like a hopeless,helpless,useless,worthless POS some people took the time to care about me and help me save myself. they helped me stop feeling like a hopeless, helpless, useless, worthless POS. i feel the results of what they did and hope i can help someone else,lime you, be able to experience the change.

do you care about anyone? more than likely deep down in, you do care about others.
however,at this time it would be a wise idea to care about yourself- learn about you and how to love and care about yourself first.
This

You are a good man press, and I know from reading your posts for quite some time that you do love and care for others.

Right now it's just fine if the focus is on you.
You're finding your way back to your true self, and that's the critical first step.

What specific things besides not drinking are you doing to build your recovery today?

There will be a quiz
Old 11-12-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I am not these thoughts - I am the Master of these thoughts.

I care - it doesn't cost me a thing and it can make a monumental difference to you. As BB said, "why wouldn't I?"

I care because I know what it's like to feel detached from yourself and powerless.

It doesn't feel like it now, but the longer you are sober the more you will feel like yourself again and that there is room to let others in.

Just worry about taking care of yourself and if others care - let them.