New Relationship with Former Addict

Old 11-11-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Relationship with Former Addict

I was just looking for some advice on helping someone who was a former heroin addict who is now weaning off of Suboxone
Thank you in advance for any help
Old 11-11-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do they work a program or go to meetings?
Old 11-11-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Jessica.
Welcome to SR.
Would ask the same that missboots did.
What kind of recovery program does he have, and is weaning off sub under medical oversight?
There really isn’t a whole lot you can do, as his recovery is his to make.
Honestly, I would keep my distance.
Recovery is hard. Sometimes it takes every ounce of strength we have.
Anyway, good luck.
Hoping for the best for your friend.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

NEW relationships should not include trying to find out how to HELP the other person detox off of drugs. detox should be done under medical supervision. and no one going thru that is good relationship material. i'd back up about six miles, and really think this through.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Run

Read my story and run in the opposite direction. I got into a relationship with someone coming off methadone around a year ago. I'd known him many years and loved him very much and I believe he loved me.

He was found dead in his house 2 weeks ago, he'd been there 6 days. He'd had a huge liver hemorrhage and was found with drug paraphernalia all around him.

I don't even know where to start picking up the pieces or how to deal with this grief.

If you really care for this person let them get clean and into a stable recovery ALONE, you can always pick up again later if that's what you both decide. Please don't put yourself through the absolute heartache. How I wish I'd listened.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JessicaSanders View Post
I was just looking for some advice on helping someone who was a former heroin addict who is now weaning off of Suboxone
Thank you in advance for any help
glad youre here, jessica. i might read harsh, but how you can help is letting the addict help temselves- allow the addict to take responsibility for it.
this is a new realtionship with a herion addict who is weaning off suboxone. im not the brightest and only a couple lines written, but it doesnt read like a good way to start a new relationship.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Me as well

Hi Jessica. Just wondering how things are going. My boyfriend and I have been together for a year and he told me right away he was on suboxone. He just decided last week he was ready to get off of it completely. He is currently going through withdrawals and is at 110 hours. I am also experiencing insomnia as I am worried sick about relapse. I do know some success stories and I have hope. You could be the reason he changes his life however unless he is absolutely ready to get off completely I don’t suggest he does right away. I see no problem with them being on suboxone if it helps keep them away from the other stuff. Anyways wish you all the best!
Old 11-14-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLove44 View Post
You could be the reason he changes his life however unless he is absolutely ready to get off completely I don’t suggest he does right away.
I'm sorry, but this worries me. "You" will never be enough to keep someone away from drugs, no matter how wonderful you may be. People don't stop doing drugs for other people. They stop doing drugs when they reach a certain point of understanding- if they do at all.

Anvilhead is right- this is no way to start a relationship.