Notices

Obnoxious Drunk

Old 11-11-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Obnoxious Drunk

I was on a bus charter yesterday to an event with one of my community groups. Many people brought on alcoholic beverage to enjoy on the 3 hour journey to the event. I shared a seat with a person who is not part of our group, but was invited along by a family member. The journey started out great, everyone was happy and looking forward to the event. I was having a pleasant conversation with my seat mate, but as the journey progressed, this person got progressively drunker. The drunker she became the louder she got, shouting, swearing, thinking he was cute, smart and funny - and she was none of these. She was just obnoxious. It did not go unnoticed either.

The last 3/4 hour of the trip was just down right uncomfortable for me because she was in the shouting stage at this point and getting argumentative. She was disruptive and totally uncouth.

I made a point of finding a different seat for the return journey. However, at this point she was sleeping on the way home so didn't make a spectacle of herself on the return journey.

No one else on the bus got drunk. This person also doesn't think she has a problem and bragged to me about how she "only" drinks 6 beer but her intention is to always get drunk, "because otherwise, what's the point of drinking?" This combined with her prescription of medical weed, which she loudly proclaimed for everyone to hear within earshot and how she coudn't wait to roll a joint once she got off the bus.

I know I have been "that person". It was sad to see and just made me thankful that I am no longer on that crazy train.

CF
Old 11-11-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sounds like a nightmare bus journey. Yeah...I've been that person more times than I care to admit. I never realised how many sober people were going around in general until I stopped drinking. It's mortifying to think how many of them I've aggravated. Good motivation to be and stay sober!
Old 11-11-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Samantha

Wow. Getting drunk on a bus, do you think they need some help realizing they probably DO have a problem?
I’m sorry you had to experience that, it must have been so uncomfortable.
I bet they felt a fool the next day!
Old 11-11-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
Wow. Getting drunk on a bus, do you think they need some help realizing they probably DO have a problem?
I’m sorry you had to experience that, it must have been so uncomfortable.
I bet they felt a fool the next day!
I don't think this person is ready to face their problem.

Being trapped on a bus with a drunk is similar to being trapped on a plane with a drunk. No escape. I suppose the bus driver could have kicked her off - then maybe she would have thought about her behaviour.

It didn't ruin my having a great evening, since I didn't have to sit next to her after that.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think we have all had a degree of that crazy. Yes, grateful that is all behind now.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am grateful to no longer be "that woman" too.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maybe she doesn't have a problem.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
Maybe she doesn't have a problem.
You're right, James. Maybe this incident is not her typical behaviour.

CF
Old 11-11-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds familiar, I think I've been that obnoxious drunk on more than one occasion. Grateful I have a choice today.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drank to get drunk too. That’s what ultimately opened my eyes to my alcoholism. Drinking to the point of being drunk. And doing that frequently. It’s a pretty simple mathematical formula really.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

She reminds me of me back when I was running amuck with the liquid devil and doing other non moral things thank God some of us are sober today.

And stories such as these remind us exactly how we were.

Mountainman
Old 11-11-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
That sounds like a nightmare bus journey. Yeah...I've been that person more times than I care to admit. I never realised how many sober people were going around in general until I stopped drinking. It's mortifying to think how many of them I've aggravated. Good motivation to be and stay sober!
Same here, sadly. I’m so glad to not have to be “That Guy” ever again.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

But by the grace of God there go I
Old 11-12-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's annoying.

~Bunnez
Old 11-12-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was pretty obnoxious as a drunk too. And even though in sober life I very rarely swear, but after a few drinks I had a mouth like a sewer. Used to shout too.

Twice at my new job I got wasted with the regulars and the next day I was worrying myself silly about what I had said to them. Luckily they said I was a right laugh, and pretty chilled so thank goodness it was 'chilled, up for a laugh drunk Sky' those nights!

There are a few other drunk alter-egos I never want people to see again. And I am determined they never will appear again